Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fags

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
I just don't understand how plain packaging would be off putting. If the current packaging with disturbing facts and pictures about how smoking affects you doesn't put you off, surely nothing will.
If people are addicted, they are addicted, packaging or not.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Only stupid people smoke so I doubt that they would notice.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Surely the plain packaging is not designed to put off people who already smoke, but rather to not look glamorous and appealing to teenagers thnking of taking it up...?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
This debate will go on and on. It's a complicated addiction/habit and no amount of legislation to ban it in public places or near hospitals or health warnings on packets will ever stop it. There are pictures of rotting lungs and hearts on the packets but smokers are blind to it so removing a logo or two won't make any difference.

However, the one hilarious part of the whole problem is that, for the more health conscious, you can now buy " Additive Free " tobacco, so, no nasty chemicals just the pure tar and nicotine to coat your lungs.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Surely the plain packaging is not designed to put off people who already smoke, but rather to not look glamorous and appealing to teenagers thnking of taking it up...?

Correct ... they should go all the way like the Ozzies and make it look plain bloody nasty

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
This debate will go on and on. It's a complicated addiction/habit and no amount of legislation to ban it in public places or near hospitals or health warnings on packets will ever stop it. There are pictures of rotting lungs and hearts on the packets but smokers are blind to it so removing a logo or two won't make any difference.

However, the one hilarious part of the whole problem is that, for the more health conscious, you can now buy " Additive Free " tobacco, so, no nasty chemicals just the pure tar and nicotine to coat your lungs.
Its the nicotine that is addictive not the tobacco so i would imagine addictive free tobacco would be free of nicotine.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
They do look ****ing horrible over here. I smoke occasionally and it probably puts me off more than i would like to admit.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

This New Scientist article suggests that making cigarettes appear less satisfying will help people kick the habit.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Its the nicotine that is addictive not the tobacco so i would imagine addictive free tobacco would be free of nicotine.

Er, " Additive Free " as in less chemicals. Nicotine and Tar still included.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I experienced going to the pub in England, and having to smoke outside recently...first time in cold weather...
I thought it would be easy....FECKING HELL......!!!

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Meanwhile the cigarette companies are loving this, the biggest boost to their industry in the last 10 years has been the banning of advertising and sponsorship of sporting events. They are now saving millions of pounds a year on not having to compete with each other.

No coloured packs, excellent no need to pay designers etc...

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Meanwhile the cigarette companies are loving this, the biggest boost to their industry in the last 10 years has been the banning of advertising and sponsorship of sporting events. They are now saving millions of pounds a year on not having to compete with each other.

No coloured packs, excellent no need to pay designers etc...

Whilst they get to focus on their huge emerging markets (China & India.)

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
How long before the likes of Firebox and iwoot.com start selling novelty cigarette cases of polycarbonate or steel which smokers can use to decant their snouts from the bare and bland packages they come in?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I'm a smoker and I think this is a good idea. Anything that makes it less visually appealing to kids is alright by me (and I appreciate the irony here that by smoking myself I probabaly contribute to it's appeal, albeit in a miniscule way.)

My only worry is isn't his going to be a bit of a nightmare for the vendors to administer?

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
How long before the likes of Firebox and iwoot.com start selling novelty cigarette cases of polycarbonate or steel which smokers can use to decant their snouts from the bare and bland packages they come in?

When I was at college I had a really cool polished stainless steel cigarette case.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The whole idea of successive governments trying to make smoking less appealing is pointless as it simply does not work. Forcing people to stand outside pubs and clubs in a 3 sided shelter did not work. Banning smoking in hospitals did not work as they just shuffle or wheel themselves outside while still attached to their drips. Young people see office workers standing in the cold puffing away and stubbing their butts in to overstuffed wall ashtrays but still think it cool to smoke.

I can't see anything changing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here