Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Match-fixing in UK football

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Here we go then...

Sky breaking: Six people, including three footballers, arrested by police investigating claims of match-fixing in the UK by an Asian betting syndicate

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Scarcely surprising: there have been so many match fixing scandals in the rest of the world, it would be naive to think that the UK was somehow above all that

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Nah, strange results happen. I mean, what are the chances of anybody betting on a score like Coventry 1 Tranmere 5?

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
I bet it'll be either the Scottish or Welsh leagues where this happened.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I bet it'll be either the Scottish or Welsh leagues where this happened.

Not according to the first line of the telegraph report linked above

Members of an alleged betting syndicate have been arrested on suspicion of fixing English football games in the biggest match-rigging scandal for decades, The Telegraph can disclose

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Not according to the first line of the telegraph report linked above

Members of an alleged betting syndicate have been arrested on suspicion of fixing English football games in the biggest match-rigging scandal for decades, The Telegraph can disclose

You are correct. Should've read it first. I've heard a lot recently about all the match fixing problems with Scottish football, this wont surprise me if it's being done in our country too.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/423547/Gambling-is-rife-in-Scottish-game-says-Kevin-Twaddle
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...d-match-fixing-probe-Motherwell-v-Hearts.html

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
this is non league as far as i can tell, indicated by no involvement of Football League.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Been going on for years..arrests and imprisonments in the 60's ( Swan/Kaye etc )..Grobb/Fash/Dons Keeper cleared but still left others sceptical. Problems in Cricket, Boxing and Snooker.
Who was at the Goldstone for the final game in our promotion season 71-72? We needed a point to go up, Rochdale needed a point to stay up. We tore into a very poor side and went a goal up in the first 5 mins. From then on, we didn't have a shot on goal and invited Rochdale on. Brian Powney strayed further and further off his line until his was almost outside his area. Eventually, a Rochdale player tried his luck from fully 35-40 yards and naturally it flew over the head of Powney and in. Cue..final 20-25 mins of keep-ball and desired result.
Saints v Spurs, final game of season, both teams needed point to go up ( We needed a win and for there to be a winner at the Dell ) Neither side had a shot on goal and most of the 90 mins was played in the centre circle. Desired result.
....and there are many, many more.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Scarcely surprising: there have been so many match fixing scandals in the rest of the world, it would be naive to think that the UK was somehow above all that
There have been so many drugs scandals in the rest of the sports world, would it be naive to think that football was somehow above all that?

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
this is non league as far as i can tell, indicated by no involvement of Football League.

Apparently so, and with turnover to match. Look forward to hearing how it was all supposed to work, but at this stage, I do rather doubt that, as a reporter suggested on R4 Today this morning, it was worth paying £50,000 to fix a Conference game because they were betting "hundreds of millions of pounds" on the overs/unders and card count.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Apparently so, and with turnover to match. Look forward to hearing how it was all supposed to work, but at this stage, I do rather doubt that, as a reporter suggested on R4 Today this morning, it was worth paying £50,000 to fix a Conference game because they were betting "hundreds of millions of pounds" on the overs/unders and card count.

Spot on.

The cricket betting sting was similar – You cannot place a bet on any given ball being a no ball on any bookmaker legal or otherwise anywhere in the world. Whilst I don’t doubt that matches have been influenced by gambling, fast bowlers bowling no balls to order isn’t an issue in the game.

Likewise, the numbers here don’t stack up. You can’t gamble huge amounts on non league football without it sticking out like a sore thumb, in the UK I can barely get a bet on above £50 with most bookies on anything let alone Lincoln V Southport (and the Betfair markets tend to have little to no liquidity in NL). Whilst this sounds like Asian based bookies, who in their right mind is going to accept 50K on an under / over market on a noddy football game without their suspicions being aroused? Equally, if I was fixing football matches to order I wouldn’t be boasting to random strangers. All looks like someone acting Billy big bollox to me and not beleieving their luck with the cash being offerered.

Dec 29, 2011

Bookies looking through their bets taken for conference games:

Luton v. Halifax , £2,000 worth of bets taken

Braintree v. Welling, £1,500 worth of bets taken

Wrexham v. Alfreton, £150,000,000 worth of bets taken

Everything seems in order here.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Rio Ferdinand.
Yep you're quite right, I take that back.

One 8 month suspension 10 years ago, for failure to attend a test.
Which was so vehemently protested against by his club, validates FIFA, UEFA, & The FA's policy on PED testing, or not testing, as the case may be.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here