Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can you help me out? - Forced Entry to Property

SeagullSarge

Jul 8, 2012
Evening all,

I wouldn't normally reach out like this for help, being a Seagulls forum an all...

I have a bit of a situation with my Flat in Southampton, and wonder if anyone else has had a similar problem or know the law on forced entry to a property.

I own a flat in Southampton and have moved out to live back in Brighton, leaving the flat for sale and vacant. The property is serviced by Geothermal hot water, this system is billed and managed by a property management company. They have sent me a letter through this week informing me that they are coming to inspect the system as they suspect there is something wrong with it as the readings are low (no surprise seeing as though I have left the property vacant). They have informed me that they are coming on Monday/Tuesday next week and require access to my flat, if I am not there (which I won't be as I am at work and cannot get to Soton) they will force entry and change the locks at my cost! Also claiming that they will have the Police with them!

Please can some one help me with where I legally stand, presumably they can't just go waltzing into any house they feel like? in my mind this would be criminal damage, breaking and entry, and also trespass..

I thank you all for your help

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Why don't you nip down to wherever this company is based (Southampton too?) between now and Monday and give them a key?

SeagullSarge

Jul 8, 2012
Why don't you nip down to wherever this company is based (Southampton too?) between now and Monday and give them a key?

Unfortunately I work in London and the property management company is based in Swindon, I should have mentioned that I'm really not happy about someone accessing the property with me not being their... I'm happy to rearrange for the following week when I'm on annual leave but they are having none of it

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Or send them a key, recorded delivery

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Who's coming to inspect - the hot water company or the property management company? If its the hot water company then set the property management company on them. If its the property management company then surely you're their client and they should not be breaking and entering their client's premises? Sounds like only half the story being posted on here.

theboybilly

Driver8 is right, a quick call is all that may be needed. Utility companies do however have the right to force entry (mostly for gas or water leaks in reality) I'm not sure about the situation regarding them changing the locks though. You could also ring the local police to see what their take on it is seeing as their bods will be in proximity.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I think utility companies can do this every year unless they get a meter reading

theboybilly

In the same way that you tell any utility company how many people will be living in the property when you sign up, it's always best to let them know when there are changes. I'm convinced that a phone call will sort this problem for you.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
They would need to get a warrant to be able to force entry.

This. And to get a magistrate to grant them a warrant they would have prove that they have reasonable grounds to believe that there is something untoward going on and that they had made reasonable efforts to obtain legitimate access (which you had refused). I'm not sure that low useage of heating/water in an empty flat would pass the test.

I had similar some years back when Seeboard wanted to read my meter; I told them they could come any evening between 6 and 9 or 8-8 Saturday/Sunday. They said they only came out weekdays and would apply for a warrant, I told the woman that I would attend court and oppose it, supervisor came on and said "Saturday Morning ok ?".

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Driver8 is right, a quick call is all that may be needed. Utility companies do however have the right to force entry (mostly for gas or water leaks in reality) I'm not sure about the situation regarding them changing the locks though. You could also ring the local police to see what their take on it is seeing as their bods will be in proximity.

I can only speak for electricity companies (and I left 11 years ago) but when they wanted to disconnect/fit a prepayment meter for non payment, they would have to get a warrant from the local court to be able to force entry. They took police with them if they expected to meet resistance. If the property was empty, they would force the door and change the locks.

As the property is for sale, can the company go to your estate agent for a key?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Who's coming to inspect - the hot water company or the property management company? If its the hot water company then set the property management company on them. If its the property management company then surely you're their client and they should not be breaking and entering their client's premises? Sounds like only half the story being posted on here.

that. isn't this the whole point of a property managment company? shirley they are already keyholders?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Seems odd that first port of call is a forum rather than picking up the phone to the sender or the letter!!!

(Of course I apologise for the tone if in fact you only got back from work this evening to find the letter on the doormat at a time when the managing agents are closed for the day. It goes without saying that if you received the letter yesterday then no apology on my part is necessary!!!)

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I'm happy to rearrange for the following week when I'm on annual leave but they are having none of it

If you have told them this, there is no way that they will obtain a warrant as you have been perfectly reasonable. They are trying it on.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Unfortunately I work in London and the property management company is based in Swindon, I should have mentioned that I'm really not happy about someone accessing the property with me not being their... I'm happy to rearrange for the following week when I'm on annual leave but they are having none of it

Sorry, seems you have spoken to them so apology in order.

SeagullSarge

Jul 8, 2012
Sorry, seems you have spoken to them so apology in order.

No worries Drew, long story short the hot water company that the property maintenance company are representing are not a utility company and as such have no regulation, the property maintenance company have a track record of using unfair tactics and hidden charges so I'm being very cautious about letting them have access to my property without me being there...

I just want to know exactly what they are up to and see what needs changing as essentially they could recharge me for work/items!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
No worries Drew, long story short the hot water company that the property maintenance company are representing are not a utility company and as such have no regulation, the property maintenance company have a track record of using unfair tactics and hidden charges so I'm being very cautious about letting them have access to my property without me being there...

I just want to know exactly what they are up to and see what needs changing as essentially they could recharge me for work/items!

Think you might have just lost the NSC dressing room here Sarge :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here