Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Level of support in outlying areas of Sussex in terms of travelling to the Amex

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I live in Hastings and am constantly surprised at how many people here travel to the Albion, even if not on a regular basis. I know there is a thriving A21 club based in this area of East Sussex, but in addition to this, the Albion have many new fans here, probably due to the stadium experience. During the 60s and 70s, I was always fascinated to read the addresses of the Jackpot winners from the match before to see how far and wide the fans came. Be interested to see where other other NSC fans are from and the level of support from their area that they are able to gauge.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I travel through Hastings on my way to matches (when I take the train) and it starts to get busy from that point onwards. I have seen BHA shirts twice in Canterbury in four years, but there's usually a few supporters left on the train going home when we get to Ashford.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I was coming back from Somerset for a midweek game some time last season and as the M3 was stuffed I came cross-country instead. I was following the sat nav, but I think the bulk of the route was the A272 which eventually brought me out in Shoreham.

Anyway, on this particular trip I was amazed at how many people I saw in blue and white waiting for, or boarding, buses in far-flung parts of West Sussex that I couldn't even name. Some might have even been in Hampshire - I'm not entirely sure - but they were a bloody long way from Brighton.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Living in Littlehampton, i've noticed a fair few Albion car stickers in the area now. When i first moved down here i expected this to be more of a Pompey outcrop but i'm pleasantly surprised.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patreon
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
Started supporting the Albion growing up in Bexhill.Live in Milton Keynes now so only get down occasionally

i live in hastings and am constantly surprised at how many people here travel to the albion, even if not on a regular basis. I know there is a thriving a21 club based in this area of east sussex, but in addition to this, the albion have many new fans here, probably due to the stadium experience. During the 60s and 70s, i was always fascinated to read the addresses of the jackpot winners from the match before to see how far and wide the fans came. Be interested to see where other other nsc fans are from and the level of support from their area that they are able to gauge.

Brighton was always in the minority of jackpot winners 20% if my memory recalls correctly:blush:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Living in Littlehampton, i've noticed a fair few Albion car stickers in the area now. When i first moved down here i expected this to be more of a Pompey outcrop but i'm pleasantly surprised.
Littlehampton has traditionally always been the border outpost.
Like some far flung Wild West town, that time forgot.
Bognor is the start of Pompey.

Probably something to do with the trains.

Anyhoo, the trains from the West are comfortable until Worthing then, unsurprisingly, they get pretty rammed, pretty quick.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
During the Withdean years there used to be about a dozen get on at Seaford with me. Now there's about 80. Damned JCL's.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I appreciate that other fans live further afield than in Sussex -as I used to for a time - but the point is that it would be difficult to gauge any real sort of support, if you lived so far away. I used to travel from Fleet and I am sure that I was the only one.

There's a fair number around Guildford/Godalming/Farnham/Ash/Woking as well as Cranleigh and Ewhurst. There are just 400 houses in Alfold where I live (400yds from the West Sussex border) but 4 STHs. We usually travel with a couple of STHs from Loxwood (just down the road); there are a lot of supporters in Billingshurst (inc Titanic & clan), most of whom will no doubt be in the Kings Arms with Shacka on Saturday lunchtime.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Being a map geek id love to see a map of England with little red dot where fans are from, obviously without zooming right in Sussex would be a big red blob but I think London, kent, hampshire and surrey would be interesting. Make it happen someone!

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
there are a lot of supporters in Billingshurst

I've noticed that too - i'm there an awful lot (involved with their Chamber of Commerce) and there's a nice array there. Plus some over to the north-west of the county; Petworth/Midhurst way too.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Being a map geek id love to see a map of England with little red dot where fans are from, obviously without zooming right in Sussex would be a big red blob but I think London, kent, hampshire and surrey would be interesting. Make it happen someone!

I think I had that very feature on NSC a while back.

Cheshire

Jul 20, 2003
1066 Country
Going back in time - coming down from Cheshireland for the play-off final at Cardiff I was amazed just how many Albion supporting cars were on the M5 from the M6 downwards and the service stations were also full of Albion fans. On the way back along the M5 it seemed that every other car had Seagull fans in. Expected if I saw any football traffic that side of the country it would have been all Bristol City, but our support outnumbered them on that stretch of road. It only became sparse once we hit the M6. Certainly seemed to be plenty of Albion fans well outside the beaten tracks to Sussex on that day.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Tunbridge wells once was in Sussex I think we have a few out that way as I work at American Express with a couple of brighton Fans from that area.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
I travel through Hastings on my way to matches (when I take the train) and it starts to get busy from that point onwards. I have seen BHA shirts twice in Canterbury in four years, but there's usually a few supporters left on the train going home when we get to Ashford.

I'll be on the train both ways from canterbury for the game on 7th December. :)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here