Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T In Car Camera Fitting

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Anybody use an in car camera and have any recommendations for fitters? I'm thinking of having miwitness cameras fitted front and rear but don't fancy doing the electrics myself.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Anybody use an in car camera and have any recommendations for fitters? I'm thinking of having miwitness cameras fitted front and rear but don't fancy doing the electrics myself.

May I recommend this little one I have on my car? You wouldn't notice it, very very subtly installed and gives full 1080P definition, with zoom! I am pretty sure you wouldn't realise it was there if I hadn't mentioned it? I would also post the photo of my latest in-car cigarette lighter but the fusion reactor starter mechanism is copyrighted.

TNBA

TTF

index.jpg

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012

May I recommend getting a life?? Why the f**k would you want cameras installed in your car??

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Thanks for your considered input. I was recently the subject of an unpleasant road rage incident and with no independent evidence there was little the police could do. It's a relatively low cost way to deal with this sort of thing should it happen in the future plus it also reduces insurance premiums and is considered to improve driver behaviour. But why the f"@k would that bother you with your more exciting life.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I hadn't realised they were an option. What cost are we looking at here?
Downside, surely is that you can't afford to make any mistakes, speed or the like, as the police could ask for your own evidence to convict you with!

geniarse

Jan 2, 2012
I got one of these installed after my delightful ex-wife decided to key my 2 week old new car - http://www.blackvuehd.co.uk/Blackvue_DR500GW_Wifi.php

It was comical as when the insurance chap came round he had a diagram of a car similar to the ones you have to mark off damage on a rental car and he said "I think it will be easier if I just mark the roof as the only panel NOT damaged..."

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
I hadn't realised they were an option. What cost are we looking at here?
Downside, surely is that you can't afford to make any mistakes, speed or the like, as the police could ask for your own evidence to convict you with!

You can pick them up on eBay for £30 upwards. I'm going for a front and rear option which is hardwired into the cars electrics ( hence looking to see if there were any car electricians here who could do the work). That is £300 plus fitting. They record into memory cards 24/7 and the system I am looking at then wirelessly transfers video you want to keep to your laptop etc.

The point about your own driving is an interesting one! I'm not sure if you can be compelled to hand over evidence that might incriminate you but, whilst I'm far from a perfect driver, the biggest issues I have in my 18k miles per annum are with other drivers so, if the system forces me to think more about driving habits as well then it's a win win.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
If you have a look on YouTube it would seem that in Russia:
a) Dashboard cameras are very popular
b) The driving is shocking
c) They love a bit of road rage
d) Point c) often involves guns

My office is in South London so point d isn't entirely inappropriate !

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
May I recommend getting a life?? Why the f**k would you want cameras installed in your car??

I gather virtually everyone has one in Russia - something to do with insurance claims, I think, but I'm not sure. Several of these were the cameras that caught the asteroid on film back in Feb.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Forget the camera, your money would be better spent on driving lessons so people aren't inclined to get road rage at you.

Or steroids and a gym membership - that way your rage will be a roid/road hybrid and will trump any normal road rage. :thumbsup:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The point about your own driving is an interesting one! I'm not sure if you can be compelled to hand over evidence that might incriminate you but, whilst I'm far from a perfect driver, the biggest issues I have in my 18k miles per annum are with other drivers so, if the system forces me to think more about driving habits as well then it's a win win.

The answer, generally speaking, is yes they can. If they suspect an offence (and they're not going to deliberately go after you for speeding here unless it was outrageous, it would be more if you were involved in a crash), they could seize the camera & thus contents under the Police & Criminal Evidence Act 1984.

You'd get it back eventually after they'd looked at the footage.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Forget the camera, your money would be better spent on driving lessons so people aren't inclined to get road rage at you.

Or steroids and a gym membership - that way your rage will be a roid/road hybrid and will trump any normal road rage. :thumbsup:

If someone wants to get angry with me because I'm not interested in racing through Sayers Common at an illegal speed then it's them not me that needs the driving lessons. Not sure if you were being serious but in my experience it's normally the crap drivers who can't control their tempers on the road.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
The answer, generally speaking, is yes they can. If they suspect an offence (and they're not going to deliberately go after you for speeding here unless it was outrageous, it would be more if you were involved in a crash), they could seize the camera & thus contents under the Police & Criminal Evidence Act 1984.

You'd get it back eventually after they'd looked at the footage.

Sounds reasonable and an encouragement to good driver behaviour if fitted.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

You really are a little angry person aren't you ?

There are plenty of reasons to put cameras in cars but I'll let you figure them out - maybe you'll be able to think about it after school ?

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012
You really are a little angry person aren't you ?

There are plenty of reasons to put cameras in cars but I'll let you figure them out - maybe you'll be able to think about it after school ?

Ohh cutting...
Installing cameras because somebody gave you the :tosser: sign or gave you the bird?? Ohh please! Drive properly, don't upset people and it wont happen will it...?
I cant imagine for one second that somebody would get road rage to the extent where you feel the need to fill your car with ugly looking cameras without good reason.

I drive in central london on a regular basis where there is a frequent urge to get out of the car and lamp the bloody cyclists or taxi drivers, but the art is to rise above it.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Ohh cutting...
Installing cameras because somebody gave you the :tosser: sign or gave you the bird?? Ohh please! Drive properly, don't upset people and it wont happen will it...?
I cant imagine for one second that somebody would get road rage to the extent where you feel the need to fill your car with ugly looking cameras without good reason.

I drive in central london on a regular basis where there is a frequent urge to get out of the car and lamp the bloody cyclists or taxi drivers, but the art is to rise above it.

Given the huge increase in "accident" fraud cameras are a good idea to protect yourself.

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012
Given the huge increase in "accident" fraud cameras are a good idea to protect yourself.

Are the thousands of CCTV camera not sufficient then?
Says a lot about someone I feel, install those monstrosities into a vehicle! Must be a very insecure person to want to go to the police over a minor road rage incident!
As for fraud, yes there is an increase. But surely between the DVLA and the various insurance companies around they can make sure and enforce that every driver is legally covered? Why try to be some sort of vigilante?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
As for fraud, yes there is an increase. But surely between the DVLA and the various insurance companies around they can make sure and enforce that every driver is legally covered? Why try to be some sort of vigilante?

Fraud as in deliberate accidents - DVLA and insurance companies can hardly deal with that - cameras can.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here