Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Train Alert - London Bridge

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
ALL service through London Bridge suspended due to a major signalling failure caused by a small fire.

Head to Victoria or Blackfriars - its going to be an uncomfortable journey home !!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
That explains the 30 minutes freezing my tits off at Haywards Heath then.

Small fire? That's not going to be fixed quickly.

Dalos

Mar 2, 2009
Was at LB at 5, they were cancelling everything. Got to Vic and trains are ok, on my way down now. Gonna be a long one frim LB tonight, sounds baaaaad.

Overheard a chap on the phone say LBridge was closed and luckily I was outside Monument tube.Took tube to Waterloo,Reading train to Clapham and was the last on the very packed 17.59 to Littlehampton. Should with any luck only be about 20 minutes late.Fingers crossed

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Overheard a chap on the phone say LBridge was closed and luckily I was outside Monument tube.Took tube to Waterloo,Reading train to Clapham and was the last on the very packed 17.59 to Littlehampton. Should with any luck only be about 20 minutes late.Fingers crossed

We walked back over the bridge, tube from monument and got the 5:46 at Vic. Running quite slow at the mo, but once past Croydon should be ok.

lB is still closed by all accounts.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

:clap2:

Excellent commuting skillz

Dalos

Mar 2, 2009
:clap2:

Excellent commuting skillz

There was Zero margin for error -I literally had to hold the door open as it shut, I felt like Jason Bourne avoiding enemy CIA captors.However I was wheezing and spluttering like a bull mastiff over some poor girl for the next 10 minutes trying to recover.Dont remember Bourne doing that

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
There was Zero margin for error -I literally had to hold the door open as it shut, I felt like Jason Bourne avoiding enemy CIA captors.However I was wheezing and spluttering like a bull mastiff over some poor girl for the next 10 minutes trying to recover.Dont remember Bourne doing that

Lucky you didnt actually break the train doing that !! It happens, trust me.

All lines have now reopened so the issue has been fixed within 3 hours - not bad considering it was a fire. Major disruption for the rest of the day though - should be fine by the morning.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
That explains the 30 minutes freezing my tits off at Haywards Heath then.

Same. 30 minutes solid of 'sorry to announce' announcements just about did my head in. I'd rather they didn't bother apologising at all.

Presumably the Victoria trains all then came late as well due to the signals having to be re-jigged all the way down the line?

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
Just got home after 4 hours or trying to travel. By the time I got to LB it had all gone wrong, walked to the tube and they were shutting due to passenger saftey, got on a circle to Vic, which we then told wouldnt stop at Vic due to the west bound platform being closed for passenger safety so walked up and Vic was in chaos, crushed like the front row of a rock concert.

That was fun.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Just about completely fed up with the ******* trains now. I want a job working near home - it's just delays cancellations and rubbish service every week now. Will the great close down at Christmas and New Year solve anything - I very much doubt it. It just means that I have to take a load of annual leave because Southern effin' Rail won't bother to get me in to work. And all for in excess of £2500 per year ( and I am aware that those of you who live nearer to the coast than I do pay loads more).

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
It's a rare thing, but I have to say congrats to Southern this morning - not for the chaos last night and the usual atrocious way they dealt with it, but I was expecting many problems again this morning as a carry-over after last night, but everything was normal - actually better than that, it was all working. Still, another delay claim about to go in.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I don't often slag off Southern as although their service is not the greatest I'm sure it's not the worst and quite frankly I have no other choice but to use it. What happened last night was out of their control so you can't really blame them for things going belly up.....

.....HOWEVER last night I witnessed first hand how customer service should not be done. I took their advice and travelled down from Blackfriars, the trains were being diverted via Elephant & Castle. I left about 18:30 leaving just under an hour to get to East Croydon to make my connection assuming it was on time. We poodled down the line and pretty much got to out side EC on time. Then we just sat there and sat there and sat there. Can't blame Southern for that or FCC for that matter they can only get a platform as an when one comes available. Annoyingly it would seem the 19:08 Uckfield service was about the only train that left LB roughly on time. I watched as it sailed past me still one signal out from the platform. We then started moving and got on to the platform a minute or so after the Uckfield service. I legged it across the new bridge and got to the train with the guard still out of her cabin looking along the platform she saw me and about 20 others coming down the stairs (running so obvious we were running for that train) she got back in shut her door and then shut the train doors. The train was still being held at a red signal and didn't move anywhere for a good 30 seconds. Myself and several other remonstrated with her and she claimed there was nothing she could do. For those of you that don't know there is one train an hour on that line. Even pointing that out didn't change her stony not bothered face.

I get that you are supposed to be there 30 seconds before departure and all that bollocks but for christ sake on a night like last night where everyone has been messed about something silly show a bit of common sense and don't be an out an out ****!

To add insult to injury I got an East Grinsted service down to Oxted where the 19:07 service back to Uckfield was on the board as "on time" (it was 20:10 at this point). There were about 200 people waiting for said service when it was announced there was a bus to take us home. I went to investigate and they had two crappy little 25 seater buses which just wasn't going to work. So I thought I'd go and have a pint and wait for the next service which at that time was only about 30 mins away. Sure enough said service was cancelled and as I previously mentioned the services are hourly at that time of night. Unfortunately I wasn't the only one who had retired to the pub but southern in their wisdom decided to run the 21:37 service as two coaches. I expect there were probably about 500 people crammed into 2 coaches!! How can that be safe?

I eventually got home at about half ten. Went straight to bed and got up and did it all again this morning.

Oh the joys of being a commuter!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
It's a rare thing, but I have to say congrats to Southern this morning - not for the chaos last night and the usual atrocious way they dealt with it, but I was expecting many problems again this morning as a carry-over after last night, but everything was normal - actually better than that, it was all working. Still, another delay claim about to go in.

Yes I was quite surprised to get on my usual train this morning. It did arrive at London Bridge 10 minutes late but it has done that EVERY day since they closed the end 2 platforms a few months ago, you'd think they would update the timetable to reflect that.

As for last night, my only issue was having to be crammed on a Circle Line train to Victoria and fighting through the crowds to get the Gatwick Express. It arrived in Brighton 20 minutes late but I was fully expecting that and have no real complaints as they did tell us we'd be going slowly to East Croydon.

Delay Repay claim submitted of course.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I don't often slag off Southern as although their service is not the greatest I'm sure it's not the worst and quite frankly I have no other choice but to use it. What happened last night was out of their control so you can't really blame them for things going belly up.....

.....HOWEVER last night I witnessed first hand how customer service should not be done.

I think everyone understands that on a complex system, problems will occur - it's how you deal with them that matters, and Southern are absolutely appalling at it. Zero useful information given to customers, and you know it's no use asking any staff, as they'll know the same or less than you do.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

.....HOWEVER last night I witnessed first hand how customer service should not be done. I took their advice and travelled down from Blackfriars, the trains were being diverted via Elephant & Castle. I left about 18:30 leaving just under an hour to get to East Croydon to make my connection assuming it was on time. We poodled down the line and pretty much got to out side EC on time. Then we just sat there and sat there and sat there. Can't blame Southern for that or FCC for that matter they can only get a platform as an when one comes available. Annoyingly it would seem the 19:08 Uckfield service was about the only train that left LB roughly on time. I watched as it sailed past me still one signal out from the platform. We then started moving and got on to the platform a minute or so after the Uckfield service. I legged it across the new bridge and got to the train with the guard still out of her cabin looking along the platform she saw me and about 20 others coming down the stairs (running so obvious we were running for that train) she got back in shut her door and then shut the train doors. The train was still being held at a red signal and didn't move anywhere for a good 30 seconds. Myself and several other remonstrated with her and she claimed there was nothing she could do. For those of you that don't know there is one train an hour on that line. Even pointing that out didn't change her stony not bothered face.

I get that you are supposed to be there 30 seconds before departure and all that bollocks but for christ sake on a night like last night where everyone has been messed about something silly show a bit of common sense and don't be an out an out ****!

To add insult to injury I got an East Grinsted service down to Oxted where the 19:07 service back to Uckfield was on the board as "on time" (it was 20:10 at this point). There were about 200 people waiting for said service when it was announced there was a bus to take us home. I went to investigate and they had two crappy little 25 seater buses which just wasn't going to work. So I thought I'd go and have a pint and wait for the next service which at that time was only about 30 mins away. Sure enough said service was cancelled and as I previously mentioned the services are hourly at that time of night. Unfortunately I wasn't the only one who had retired to the pub but southern in their wisdom decided to run the 21:37 service as two coaches. I expect there were probably about 500 people crammed into 2 coaches!! How can that be safe?

I eventually got home at about half ten. Went straight to bed and got up and did it all again this morning.

Oh the joys of being a commuter!

At least you got a couple of pints, so not a complete loss.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Why I'm glad I will never work in London

I don't normally but had to be there for a meeting yesterday. Absolute shambles. Finally got on the Victoria line but sailed right past the Victoria station because of "overcrowding". Hike from Green Park to the station followed.

Why oh why do the government think spending £50bn on a new line to the north to cut a few minutes off a journey is more worthwhile than actually investing in the infrastructure already in place but falling apart ?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Why oh why do the government think spending £50bn on a new line to the north to cut a few minutes off a journey is more worthwhile than actually investing in the infrastructure already in place but falling apart ?

A point I have made several times, spend £50b for a new line for unspecific gains when you can't run a reliable service 50 miles every day.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Looks like I got lucky as caught the 21:17 last night from Victoria not that I would have known that much as terrifically squiffy to say the least

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here