Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nike strip next season?

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Well that will be a generic kit then. Boring.

I really hope not but have a horrible feeling it would be. Is it another case of cost cutting as we must have had a team that were part of the design process and if we go generic we don't need them?

This is not a barber bash in anyway just trying to figure out why we would go down this route

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Well that will be a generic kit then. Boring.

Most certainly will be if it's Nike

I've heard its ADIDAS

Likewise Adidas

I really hope not but have a horrible feeling it would be. Is it another case of cost cutting as we must have had a team that were part of the design process and if we go generic we don't need them?

This is not a barber bash in anyway just trying to figure out why we would go down this route

Not cost cutting at all, just what all but the very top teams do, think Stoke, Sunderland, Cardiff, Everton, Fulham, Hull, Newcastle, Southampton, Swansea, WBA, all are template kits. It tends to be the way it goes if you go for the major brands. It's the smaller brands that still make bespoke kits for clubs outside the top few, i.e. Villa with Macron, Spurs with UA, Norwich with Errea, Liverpool with Warrior, I'm not even sure is Citys kit isn;t a Nike template.

Oh, and the other thing, they'll all have "iron-on" sponsors too if they are from the big 3 manufacturers.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
think non-generic Nike kit is costly to fans more than the club. Guessing a long term deal with big (for us) money up front. 26K+ average crowds is a big draw for any kit manufacturer.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
I can't wait to get my generic blue & white stripped Adidas Brighton FC football shirt next season with the premier league logo on the sleeve

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
product_image_200_00037478.jpg

Something like this^^^

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Most certainly will be if it's Nike

Likewise Adidas

Not cost cutting at all, just what all but the very top teams do, think Stoke, Sunderland, Cardiff, Everton, Fulham, Hull, Newcastle, Southampton, Swansea, WBA, all are template kits. It tends to be the way it goes if you go for the major brands. It's the smaller brands that still make bespoke kits for clubs outside the top few, i.e. Villa with Macron, Spurs with UA, Norwich with Errea, Liverpool with Warrior, I'm not even sure is Citys kit isn;t a Nike template.

Oh, and the other thing, they'll all have "iron-on" sponsors too if they are from the big 3 manufacturers.

Now this I just don't understand then.

If it's not saving costs what is the point? I know there are people that will buy the kit no matter what, but there are a lot that love a bespoke kit. Surely this could end up costing the club money with people not buying a generic kit and instead wearing their olds ones that will become 'Retro'?

Last edited:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
product_image_200_00037478.jpg

Something like this^^^

That's there current pub team "Estro" shirt, hopefully we'll have something a little newer, maybe the type Stoke have, with a little white collar, or Sunderland with stripes on the front and back.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Now this I jugs don't understand then.

If it's not saving costs what is the point? I know there are people that will buy the kit no matter what, but there are a lot that love a bespoke kit. Surely this could end up costing the club money with people not buying a generic kit and instead wearing their olds ones that will become 'Retro'?

Not necessarily a cost saving thing, it's a money making thing, and perhaps they just don't think they are making the right margin with the deal and product from Errea.

I guess it's a balancing act, they are only interested in the margin, so they will do their sums, and estimate sales numbers, and go with what gives them the best return.

Also, if they go for a template, they don't have to worry (so much) about having excess stock left over, they can order as much or as little as they need for no great penalty, whereas with bespoke, you have to order a larger batch to make it worthwhile.

Also, as some have said, Nike/Adidas/Puma leisure gear might also be more popular, resulting in greater sales of non replica gear.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Not necessarily a cost saving thing, it's a money making thing, and perhaps they just don't think they are making the right margin with the deal and product from Errea.

I guess it's a balancing act, they are only interested in the margin, so they will do their sums, and estimate sales numbers, and go with what gives them the best return.

Also, if they go for a template, they don't have to worry (so much) about having excess stock left over, they can order as much or as little as they need for no great penalty, whereas with bespoke, you have to order a larger batch to make it worthwhile.

Also, as some have said, Nike/Adidas/Puma leisure gear might also be more popular, resulting in greater sales of non replica gear.

Nice, thanks for the explanation. That makes a bit more sense. I hadn't thought of anything other than shirts and definitely hadn't thought of amounts needed to be ordered

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I'm trying to find the quote from Paul Barber on how many replica shirts we sold during our first season at The Amex , the figure was phenomenal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here