Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steve Cook

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I see from the linked article that Steve Cook is now valued at £1M by Bournemouth and is apparently being watched by a range of Premiership clubs. I always thought that we should have kept him and he was sold very cheaply at just £170K but obviously a future at Brighton was not meant to be. A shame in my view. He had one or two terrific games for the first team as I recall.

http://www.clubcall.com/west-bromwich-albion/albion-spy-makes-fresh-defender-check-1669138.html?

Last edited:

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Blue square premier!

I actually enjoyed watching him play.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
A Bournemouth fan on our Brighton Facebook group has been raving about him, said he's been brilliant for them apparently might be out on Saturday though

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Blue square premier!

I actually enjoyed watching him play.

BSP? Not if you read the link. We offloaded a v good player. Let's not delude ourselves on that score. But I guess you can't win them all :bigwave:

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Could never understand why we sold him.
Poyet in a word.

After all he seems to hate youth. Jake Forster-Caskey come along, two out of two MOMs and then disappeared.

Firmly believe if Steve Cook had stayed, he would be a regular with Upson right now.

This what I love about Oscar. He's not scared to play the younguns. He seems more bothered about developing players, rather than just buying a side.

After all, if **** features had stayed, do you think Caskey or Ince would have featured this season? I don't. Oscars stuck with them, and results are suggesting he is right.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Made his debut for us against Man city when we won. I remember a lot of people saying he looked decent then (2008 i think).

Invicta

NSC Patreon
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Cook and JFC starred when we beat Southampton 3-0 a couple of years ago when there were a lot of injuries, but guess you can't keep every young player happy and some will always need to move on to get a chance elsewhere.

Sounds like it's good from our point of view if he's not playing on Saturday.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Poyet in a word.
FFS some people will find any reason to have a pop at Poyet.

Cook was sold because he was barely getting a sniff in the first team at the time, and was good enough to be playing L1 at worst. Dunk was playing superbly, and Greer and AEA were also competing for two spots.

Bournemouth had money and ambition, and took him with a hefty sell-on, so that was that. The decision that we adequate cover had obviously been made, and you can't hold back the career of young players. It's all well and good complaining about it in hindsight, but at the time the mood on here and throughout the club was one of "good player, too good to be 4th choice, so we wish him well". Nothing has changed IMO.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I think it is a little simplistic to blame Poyet for his departure and criticise him for not using youth. I rated Steve Cook quite highly and felt Forster-Caskey should have got more first team action under Poyet. Similarly disappointed when Grant Hall left.

But our defence was one of the team's strong points during the Poyet era. Imagine the fuss from some on here if he had started playing Cook regularly ahead of Adam El Abd or Gordon Greer who were both performing well as a pair. Lewis Dunk was widely-regarded as one of our best prospects in years but people were quick to criticise his performances.

I think it was more a case of we had a lot of good, promising young players in our squad under Poyet and they could not all play the number of games needed to help their development.

And while it has been great to see Rohan Ince and Forster-Caskey playing so well and regularly under Oscar Garcia, it is again simplistic to just say it is because Oscar wants to give youth a chance. Our massive injury list has more than played its part in both of them featuring. If Bridcutt was fit, I doubt very much we would have seen Ince anywhere near as often. Likewise Andrea Orlandi, Kemy Agustien et al and Forster-Caskey.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Poyet in a word.

After all he seems to hate youth. Jake Forster-Caskey come along, two out of two MOMs and then disappeared.

Firmly believe if Steve Cook had stayed, he would be a regular with Upson right now.

This what I love about Oscar. He's not scared to play the younguns. He seems more bothered about developing players, rather than just buying a side.

After all, if **** features had stayed, do you think Caskey or Ince would have featured this season? I don't. Oscars stuck with them, and results are suggesting he is right.

Wasn't Chris Wood 18 when on loan with us, and Barnes joined us when he was 20. Poyet also played Dunk regularly.

There are reasons to criticise Poyet, but you let your bitterness and bile get in the way of any sensible analysis.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Cook was sold because he was barely getting a sniff in the first team at the time, and was good enough to be playing L1 at worst. Dunk was playing superbly, and Greer and AEA were also competing for two spots.

Bournemouth had money and ambition, and took him with a hefty sell-on, so that was that. The decision that we adequate cover had obviously been made, and you can't hold back the career of young players. It's all well and good complaining about it in hindsight, but at the time the mood on here and throughout the club was one of "good player, too good to be 4th choice, so we wish him well". Nothing has changed IMO.

There is this train of thought that youngsters must be played ahead of the better players in the team, purely because they 'should be given a chance'. "Isn't it about time XXX was given a chance?"

Um, no. Players have to earn their chance. It's poor management to give someone a chance - especially just because some gobshite from the ignorati says so.

Tubby's post was pretty dumb on many levels.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Isn't it more about having a balance. After all, we are constantly told it is now a squad game! There is no point having a development squad if you never give them a chance in the first team. Personally, I think Hall, Cook and JFC all looked capable at championship level and deserved runs in team but not necessarily all at the same time. It's all very well only playing your senior players but where does that leave the future of the club. We have an academy being built but there will be no point if players never get the chance. Having said that, i think OG has had his hand forced to a certain extent by the number of injuries so it remains to be seen how many of the youngsters he will play when he has a fully fit squad.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

This. A youngster can sit around waiting for a chance when 4th or 5th choice, or play regular football a division lower down. Which would you choose?
Tommy Elphick did exactly the same thing.
We won't lose out financially as we have a sell on clause.

Maximus

Jul 24, 2007
Brighton
Those moaning that Poyet doesn't respect the youth should then also point the finger at Alex Ferguson not respecting youth, after selling Pique to Barca...
Or, they both knew they couldn't guarantee game time to these young professionals, and the clubs sold them on so their careers wouldn't be held back.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Poyet in a word.

Stop reading after your massive re-write of history there

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here