Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gritting the roads

enterprise

Jul 12, 2010
Undoubtedly I'm a grumpy git but their gritting the roads where I live tonight with the forecast due to get just below freezing!! Call me a cynic but could they resist and save the stock piles until it's actually needed in the winter? We all know that come snow they will have run out and the whole bloody country will have come to a standstill. Rant over.

Undoubtedly I'm a grumpy git but their gritting the roads where I live tonight with the forecast due to get just below freezing!! Call me a cynic but could they resist and save the stock piles until it's actually needed in the winter? We all know that come snow they will have run out and the whole bloody country will have come to a standstill. Rant over.

..But if they don't and someone skids on it that will be wrong as well. Sort of lose/lose situation.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Fair play to the council round these parts. Our local chemist is on a steeply sloping road. The council's deposited a couple of giant sacks of sand right outside the front door. They finally seem to have learnt from that year (3 years ago?) when Brighton turned into a giant skating rink one sunday morning and the populace were left entirely to fend for themselves for more than a week while the ice refused to melt and the council refused to do anything about it and the NHS was left to pick up the bill for fractures by the thousand.

This is what East Sussex County Council have to say:-

Deciding when to grit

We use the latest weather forecasting technology to decide when we need to grit the roads. This forecast can often be different to the television weather forecast. Gritters go out before frost and ice are formed by freezing temperatures. Where possible, we try to avoid the morning and evening rush hours.

Rain or snow can wash salt away, so we try to grit after rain has passed but before the road surface freezes.

Gritting decisions are made at least once a day, sometimes more in colder weather.

You can see gritting decisions by following our esccroads Twitter feed.

http://www.eastsussex.gov.uk/roadsandtransport/roads/maintenance/saltingandgritting/default.htm

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Just driven up Ditchling road and there's so much grit you can barely see the asphalt. Surprised there's any left for anywhere else.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
... and they've all got names.

"Usain Salt" and "Gritty Gritty Bang Bang" are my favourites. But then I'm not a "Gritney Spears" fan.

I guess "Gary Gritter" is locked away somewhere :lol:

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
My girlfriend always gets nervous when the ice comes along and I do my usual "it's about time someone got the council gritter out." Insists on staying up and watching TV rather than going to bed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here