Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Rare video: Playing in the blue away kit, Peter Ward's sublime goal at Sunderland (1977)

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

World of Sport

Mar 9, 2007
WSU
Thanks for reminding me, we asked the police for the away end and got put in with the Sunderland fans, it all kicked off when that goal went in!
:catfight:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Twinkle toes

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Great example of THE classic trademark Peter Ward finish - knock the ball round the keeper, slot it into the back of the net. Simples.

He scored loads like that in 76 and 77 but then seemed to lose his nerve a bit and started just shooting straight past the keeper instead.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I was there that day,won 2-0,Stevie Piper got the other

Sunderland and back on the Special,all for a fiver!

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Yep, pretty scarey with the locals!

Sunderlands young star was Scottish teen sensation Ally McCoist, but it didn't quite work out. Sunderland had just been relegated and us promoted so winning up there showed we meant business.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Great video of the Spurs game wearing the blue kit as well, commentary from the legend Brian Moore !

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Given that very few matches were televised in the 1970s and early 1980s, we are lucky that footage of a fifth of Wardy's 95 goals for Brighton survive to this day. If anyone knows of anybody with any of his Albion goals other than those already on YouTube, please drop me a line... :)

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Thanks for reminding me, we asked the police for the away end and got put in with the Sunderland fans, it all kicked off when that goal went in!
:catfight:
There wasn't any segregation on the terrace behind the goal and the OB were noticeably absent when the atmosphere turned nasty. We wondered why so many Brighton fans had opted to go into the side stand and pay extra for a seat and we soon found out.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
There wasn't any segregation on the terrace behind the goal and the OB were noticeably absent when the atmosphere turned nasty. We wondered why so many Brighton fans had opted to go into the side stand and pay extra for a seat and we soon found out.

I was in the side terrace, and although surrounded by Sunderland fans, I didn't feel threatened during the game. Different story on the way back to the station.:catfight:

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Great video of the Spurs game wearing the blue kit as well, commentary from the legend Brian Moore !

Your gonna get your fecking heads kicked in sung at the end by Spurs---------------brought back wonderful memories of being spat on from the stand above us for the entire 90 minutes

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
I was there that day,won 2-0,Stevie Piper got the other

Sunderland and back on the Special,all for a fiver!
Yeah remember train on way back
going very slowly through York station and all the windows on the train went down. And a big chorus of Brighton Brighton top of the league .:clap2:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I was in the side terrace, and although surrounded by Sunderland fans, I didn't feel threatened during the game. Different story on the way back to the station.:catfight:

I was there but I can't remember where I stood. I don't remember any sense of being threatened though nor any trouble on the way back to the station. I did go a bit later as my train back to Bradford wasn't going till much later.

While drinking in a Newcastle pub, a Geordie, hearing my accent, bought me a pint to celebrate Brighton beating the Mackems - a good day out.

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
Rare video: Playing in the blue away kit, Peter Ward's sublime goal at Sunder...

Remember seeing the game on the box, always wondered whether the footage survived. Piper's goal was good too, if I remember - a long range shot. Heady days indeed.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful

Whilst some rave about our football last season as being the best from an Albion side, I have just watched the Spurs game and believe those days were better. The ball was moved quickly and directly forward and all players showed such skill and control and two particular saves from Eric Steele were world class. That style would be acceptable today.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here