Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Giving up professional football

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Is it only me that feels that professional football is one of the most "bent" sports in the world. There is so much bias against football it is untrue. As a Sunderland fan and Brighton season ticket I have had enough of how the "big teams" in each league gets all of the calls. The final straw came this weekend when Wes Brown got sent off for a non tackle, yet Rooney who plays for Man U kicks out and only gets a yellow - is this a surprise given how valuable to the EPL Man U are with there international reach and that they pretty much need them to do well to be able to sell the product to many territories especially Asia?

Maybe I am just rage quitting but I think from now on Amateur football is the way to go!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Good - leaves more SEXY football for the rest of us REAL men, eh? eh?

Eh?

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patreon
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
I know what you mean. In the 80's when we almost lost the Albion, I decided that if the club went down, I would only follow non-professional football - but until then your team is your team.

But, the Man U, Chelsea's and Man City's of this world are in a different game to us. Sunderland are a proper club and so are the Albion - please try to keep the faith.

(and of course Rooney should have been sent off)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Is it only me that feels that professional football is one of the most "bent" sports in the world. There is so much bias against football it is untrue. As a Sunderland fan and Brighton season ticket I have had enough of how the "big teams" in each league gets all of the calls. The final straw came this weekend when Wes Brown got sent off for a non tackle, yet Rooney who plays for Man U kicks out and only gets a yellow - is this a surprise given how valuable to the EPL Man U are with there international reach and that they pretty much need them to do well to be able to sell the product to many territories especially Asia?

Maybe I am just rage quitting but I think from now on Amateur football is the way to go!

As a neutral I was more outraged at the Everton player getting away with the tackle on Suarez. What would have happened if Suarez had made the tackle that he was on the receiving end of? I think we all know the answer to that.

Anyway what happens to these Premier League refs who have a mare? Do they get relegated to the Championship for a game or two??

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Anyone that can change teams at will can't be a real fan I reckon.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Anyone that can change teams at will can't be a real fan I reckon.
I'm currently having that row, it certainly isn't a discussion, with soon to be 9 jnr Stat.

He wants to have a 'second team' in the premier league. I assume his sofa supporting mates in the playground have them.
I am refusing to entertain the idea.
The merest mention of it, or watching MotD before The Football League, results in a torrent of abuse from me.

'If you want to support Utd that fine, but you're never going to the Amex again'.
'lets go and take all your posters, stickers, and flags down from your bedroom'.
'Hand over your Albion kit'.
and so on.

Pretty awful parenting but this is more important than some wishy-washy horseshit about allowing your children to develop their own identity.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I know what you mean. In the 80's when we almost lost the Albion, I decided that if the club went down, I would only follow non-professional football - but until then your team is your team.

But, the Man U, Chelsea's and Man City's of this world are in a different game to us. Sunderland are a proper club and so are the Albion - please try to keep the faith.

(and of course Rooney should have been sent off)

Did we nearly lose the Albion in the 80s too? Must have missed that one.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I'm currently having that row, it certainly isn't a discussion, with soon to be 9 jnr Stat.

He wants to have a 'second team' in the premier league. I assume his sofa supporting mates in the playground have them.
The merest mention of it, or watching MotD before The Football League, results in a torrent of abuse from me.

'If you want to support Utd that fine, but you're never going to the Amex again'.
'lets go and take all your posters, stickers, and flags down from your bedroom'.
and so on.

Pretty awful parenting but this is more important than some wishy-washy horseshit about allowing your children to develop their own identity.

Good for you. I get sick and tired of premiership armchair fans asking me who my 'second team' is when I reveal I support Brighton as though any team below the premier league isn't a real club.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda

and so on.

Personally I don't fully agree with the second team thing. I would probably say that Brighton is but the relationship is only out of convenience to allow me to watch professional football whilst I live on the south cost. If and when the two meet there is never any doubt as to who my team is. The other thing for your boy to think about is if/when brighton make it to the premier league if he truly supports both teams how would that work if say it's the final day of the season and one will go down?

My comment was around the whole of professional football but some of my best days have been away days in the championship

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What sickens me is the corruption at the top of the game that filters down across the world.

I'm impressed at the level of coaching available to young kids starting out in football, I'm impressed by clubs that take an active part in the community - like the Albion. They are a powerful force for good. And yet even the best-run club loses millions every year because the hierarchy have failed football and let wages spiral out of control.

I agree with Financial Fair Play but I fear the powers that be won't have the balls, the intelligence or the budget to enforce it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

What a very odd idea. If the Sunderland player had been sent off in a match AGAINST one of the big sides, your argument would make at least some sense. You were playing STOKE FFS. how on earth was that decision showing 'bias'. He got sent off because from the angle the ref had, it looked dangerous. Nothing more.

The Rooney one was a shocker though. In terms of intent, the clearest red card of the weekend.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patreon
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
Yes, of course you're right - 90s - memory playing tricks - crap at dates (well on the slide by 89 though)

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
What sickens me is the corruption at the top of the game that filters down across the world.

I'm impressed at the level of coaching available to young kids starting out in football, I'm impressed by clubs that take an active part in the community - like the Albion. They are a powerful force for good. And yet even the best-run club loses millions every year because the hierarchy have failed football and let wages spiral out of control.

I agree with Financial Fair Play but I fear the powers that be won't have the balls, the intelligence or the budget to enforce it.

A lot of coaches around, all teaching the same thing, but good for the youngsters, saw a match recently and watched youngsters rolling around on the floor feigning injury etc in an attempt to get free kicks. Sometimes the wrong things filter down.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
A lot of coaches around, all teaching the same thing, but good for the youngsters, saw a match recently and watched youngsters rolling around on the floor feigning injury etc in an attempt to get free kicks. Sometimes the wrong things filter down.

That's a shame to see. That kind of thing is very rare in my experience though.

My lads are 15 and 13, and play for decent local clubs. I must have watched HUNDREDS of matches from U11, up to U16, and I've pretty much NEVER seen faked injury, or players asking for bookings, never seen anyone dive looking for a penalty, and almost never seen any swearing or backchat to the refs. The standard of discipline amongst the players (and coaches and parents) in the junior leagues here seems very good.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

and so on.

I think stopping him watching MotD is going a bit far, and a bit childish. He's missing out on QUALITY football.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Bit of a strong word that, 'corruption'. Is that what you really mean as to most it would suggest games being thrown for money and refs being bought! Yes there have been some crap refereeing decisions but that has been going on ever since I have been watching footie since the 70s. Shirt pulling, feigning injuries, calling for bookings is gamesmanship that they should try and eradicate but it is hardly corruption!

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country

I must admit all my mates and I did this when we were at Priory in the very early 70s. At that time I think the idea of Brighton ever being in a similar league to Liverpool, Spurs, Man Utd etc seemed so remote; and we were quite young! Mine - for no other reason than I liked the name - was Tottenham Hotspur.

But we all grew out of it by the time we left. He will - be patient!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here