Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion Player Wages

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Unlike US sports, where all contract values are published, there is a certain British-ness about not sharing football players' wages. Since we effectively pay a large chunk of these, shouldn't we have the right to know how much they get, and therefore whether we think they are good value for money?

I suspect between us on this Board we could piece together the wage structure for the Club. I was told recently by an excellent source that Tommy K is on £22k a week and that he is 2nd top earner. Any more offers?

PG

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
How 'large a chunk' are you paying?

£20 a week among 25+ people (ignoring all the non-playing staff, travel costs etc... that your 'chunk' tries to cover - but fails!)?

And that gives you a 'right' to know??

Last edited:

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
We obviously don't have a right to know but the OP is correct in that keeping player's contract details and wages a secret is a very 'British' way of doing things.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
We. The fans. The customers.

Ticket, retail, catering and 1901 income: £12.3m in 2011/12.
All staff costs: £14.7m in 2011/12.

PG

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
We. The fans. The customers.

Ticket, retail, catering and 1901 income: £12.3m in 2011/12.
All staff costs: £14.7m in 2011/12.

PG

So on a theatre trip do you expect to know how much each actor/dancer/singer is earning.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
If we are discussing who is out of contract, and which contracts we think should be renewed, then the most relevant factor is the wages.

Players are paid very well, good luck to them. It's not unreasonable to expect some transparency.

PG

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
We obviously don't have a right to know but the OP is correct in that keeping player's contract details and wages a secret is a very 'British' way of doing things.

Do they publish this information in Germany, Italy, Spain, France? If so, who releases it and verifies/audits it or is it just rumour and speculation?

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
If we are discussing who is out of contract, and which contracts we think should be renewed, then the most relevant factor is the wages.

Players are paid very well, good luck to them. It's not unreasonable to expect some transparency.

PG

Why should private companies have to disclose how much their employees are paid?

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Every few months or so when this thread comes around, someone always quotes a 20k+ figure for one or other of our players. I've seen CMS quoted as being on everything from 8k to 27k p/w, all of which are apparently from great sources.

The simple thing is, the maths doesn't work. £20,000 x 52 weeks = £1,040,000.

Our ENTIRE staff costs were less than 15m, which includes the playing & coaching staff's basic wage and bonuses, the directors' pay, backroom staff & admin (numbering hundreds of people) and 400-odd part time staff. If one player is taking up over 1m out of 15m then a lot of other players must be on a non-league wage. If any player is earning more than 15k I'd be amazed.

FWIW I've been told the wages of 3 players (one of whom has since left) by a friend who knows them and sometimes goes out on the lash with them. The players may have been bullsh!tting but if they were telling the truth (and the figures sound sensible), people would be surprised how 'little' (still more than the average joe!) they're on.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Unlike US sports, where all contract values are published, there is a certain British-ness about not sharing football players' wages. Since we effectively pay a large chunk of these, shouldn't we have the right to know how much they get, and therefore whether we think they are good value for money?

I suspect between us on this Board we could piece together the wage structure for the Club. I was told recently by an excellent source that Tommy K is on £22k a week and that he is 2nd top earner. Any more offers?

PG

No, I don't think we do have the "right to know".

And when any such comments are made, I always take them with a hefty pinch of salt.

It is part of what I trust the club to do sensibly.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
makes you wonder why this "british-ness" has spread to all the other countries of europe and the world.

ask yourself, do you want your salary published? as an employee of a company i may do business with, effectivley i would pay your wages and have a right to know, yes?

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now

PG

So you think we have a right to know how much each player is on so that we can discuss whether or not we think their contracts should be renewed?!?!

:facepalm:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Of course we have absolutely no right to know at all. Someone has already pointed out that we don't know how much actors are paid when we visit the theatre - that's a pretty good analogy.

We might get answers to the following two questions at a fans' forum though:

1). What proportion of the total wage bill goes on players?
2). What is the club's policy on fixed/variable pay fro players? I.e. what is the split between wages and the various types of bonuses that may (or may not, depending on policy) be awarded.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I don't know what the person I sit next to at work earns, so I wouldn't expect to know how much footballers earn.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

PG

AS players earn so much more than most of us, I suppose it is tempting to see how much. Also, because we are fans paying to go into the Amex, and the Albion is our passion, it is also tempting not to see the Albion as a business and a place of work for many people. But as with any business, it is not normal to publish peoples' salary details, and I suspect that few NSC fans would want their salary made common knowledge.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
I don't think we have the right to know what the players earn, any more than you have the right to know what people earn in shops/anywhere else you might spend your money.

Ebbsfleet Utd tried a system where fans were owners and voted on signings/other decisions and that went pear shaped pretty quickly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here