Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton to get Grolsch sponsored "Green Light District"

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Will pop up this week apparently:

http://www.brandrepublic.com/news/1222237

Grolsch is planning to turn the seaside resort of Brighton green as part of its long-running 'Green Light District' campaign.

The Brighton Wheel, eight participating pubs and a bicycle taxi rank will be lit green to promote what the brand describes as its "individual style". The experiential activity will run from 27-30 November and 4-7 December.

Michael Bosanko, a "light graffiti artist", will tour the pubs each night of the campaign and perform while customers will be invited to create their own piece of artwork with prizes for the best designs. The top prize will be a trip to Amsterdam to attend a light graffiti workshop. Each pub will also receive a bespoke light art canvas to display.

What do you think? Bit of fun or a bag of shit?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Ohhhhhh, I hate these THEME things, it's EMBARRASSING, it makes Brighton look SHIT, people will LAUGH at us and think we're MICKEY MOUSE etc etc.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
This must be an unbelivably good job for whoever organises this rubbish. Just come up with any old sh*t in the name of brand recognition and absolutely no way of really telling if it's been a success or not. Absolute money for old rope.

To answers the OP's question, it looks crap but I suspect I'm not the target market.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
This must be an unbelivably good job for whoever organises this rubbish. Just come up with any old sh*t in the name of brand recognition and absolutely no way of really telling if it's been a success or not. Absolute money for old rope.

To answers the OP's question, it looks crap but I suspect I'm not the target market.

100% this. How can they possibly make anything but a loss on this. There is nothing tangible to show for it.

The agency that gets paid for coming up with this must be absolutely laughing (and probably getting a load of free booze too).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If I won a trip to Amsterdam, I think attending a "light grafitti workshop" would be a fair way down on my list of things to do.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
100% this. How can they possibly make anything but a loss on this. There is nothing tangible to show for it.

The agency that gets paid for coming up with this must be absolutely laughing (and probably getting a load of free booze too).

Are Marketing agencies the new Estate Agents on here!? In which case I'm in the Marketeers corner should we need a rep!

This is about brand association and recognition. Why would American Express sponsor the stadium otherwise!? Indeed, what is the point of any product advertising if you follow your logic!?

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Are Marketing agencies the new Estate Agents on here!? In which case I'm in the Marketeers corner should we need a rep!

This is about brand association and recognition. Why would American Express sponsor the stadium otherwise!? Indeed, what is the point of any product advertising if you follow your logic!?

That's the point, what logic? I think it was just a thoughtless knee jerk reaction.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea

I totally get that. I'm pretty sure that SAB miller are good for the money too and they have plenty of budget to throw at ideas like this.

I just think it's a crap idea. Grolsch is in no way an aspirational brand. It's a pissy dutch lager and I can't see this changing anyones perception.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

What a very, very naïve view.

I am sure Grolsch (or whoever the "parent company" is) will have a very good idea of how effective this particular form of publicity is, and that sales of Grolsch and/or the public appreciation of the brand will rocket over that period of the promotion.

And if it were not performing adequately as a promotion, they would not hesitate to pull it.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I just think it's a crap idea. Grolsch is in no way an aspirational brand. It's a pissy dutch lager and I can't see this changing anyones perception.

Clearly not everyone thinks like that though, or they wouldn't be in business, let alone turning ropey pubs green for the night.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

I am sure Grolsch (or whoever the "parent company" is) will have a very good idea of effective this particular form of publicity is, and that sales of Grolsch and/or the public appreciation of the brand will rocket over that period of the promotion.

And if it were not performing adequately as a promotion, they would not hesitate to pull it.

Indeed. There is now a thread on NSC about Grolsch, which wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for this promotion. And there might be some folk who'll go "Oooh, I've never tried Grolsch, I might give that a go". Or people who haven't drunk it for ages and had forgotten it existed who might be prompted to purchase a bottle or two.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea

I am sure Grolsch (or whoever the "parent company" is) will have a very good idea of how effective this particular form of publicity is, and that sales of Grolsch and/or the public appreciation of the brand will rocket over that period of the promotion.

Obviously Grolsch think this is a good idea. They're paying for it. And I'm sure they'll be over the moon that people are tweeting photos of green pubs etc.

But as per the OP's original question, I just think it's a bag of sh*t.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
As someone who has often sat through self-satisfied presentations from dim marketing people about the "success" of experiential marketing and stories about how consumers "love" the brand and "really buy into the marketing message" I can only hope this is a colossal failure.

Whatever happens, that won't be how it's presented in the press release, however.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here