Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jonathan Trott on his way home

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Without wishing to sound unkind I wonder if his stress related condition has anything to do with the fact that the Aussies have totally sussed him? I'd imagine there are one or two other English batsmen also feeling a bit stressed at this point in time!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Without wishing to sound unkind I wonder if his stress related condition has anything to do with the fact that the Aussies have totally sussed him? I'd imagine there are one or two other English batsmen also feeling a bit stressed at this point in time!

Difficult to say isn't it. I would have thought if you do suffer from a stress related condition, it is going to be compounded by pressure or further stress. One thing is for certain, I'm not entirely surprised. He barely looks a shadow of the man from 12 months ago. In a lot of ways this actually makes sense, he looks a wreck. Got to wish him well.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Difficult to say isn't it. I would have thought if you do suffer from a stress related condition, it is going to be compounded by pressure or further stress. One thing is for certain, I'm not entirely surprised. He barely looks a shadow of the man from 12 months ago. In a lot of ways this actually makes sense, he looks a wreck. Got to wish him well.

I agree, on that basis it was clearly a risk taking him on the tour. Who will replace him?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

I think your comments are glib and display a total lack of understanding and empathy for anyone who is suffering from a mental related condition.

Jonny Bairstow's father was a professional cricketer who hung himself due to a similar condition, if you read Marcus Trescothick's autobiography he talks about what he went through too, though judging from your comments you are more interested in who the replacement number three is going to be.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC

I thibkbits more likely that he has been suffering from a stress related illness for some time that has now affected his game, rather than the other way round.

Im sure people's thoughts will go to him and that he recovers soon.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I think your comments are glib and display a total lack of understanding and empathy for anyone who is suffering from a mental related condition.

Jonny Bairstow's father was a professional cricketer who hung himself due to a similar condition, if you read Marcus Trescothick's autobiography he talks about what he went through too, though judging from your comments you are more interested in who the replacement number three is going to be.

I think it's a fair comment. He's not saying "How can he be depressed, he's playing the game he loves for a living and getting paid plenty of money to do it, why doesn't he just cheer up?", he's saying "If you're suffering from depression and stress then being in an environment that is now making you more stressed and depressed is probably not a good idea and it's no surprised he now wants to get out of it". I think.

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
He averages over 50 and has played against every other Test nation. We're not talking a rabbit here.

Somewhat strengthens my view that there's too much cricket right now - Trott has gone straight from Australian one-dayers into preparing for this one, with no time to sort any problems out, spend real time with family etc and get his head straight.

It's not sport any more, it's business. If sport was what mattered, we wouldn't be on an Ashes tour so soon after the last one. Thoughts with him in recovering.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Whilst feeling sorry for trott, I think all this handwringing about Clarke and Anderson is pathetic. Anderson is the nastiest ******* on the circuit when he is bowling, that is a known fact and at the end of the day, sledging is part of getting into a batsman's head.

How would these current crop had fared against the likes of Lillie, Thomson, merge Hughes, chapelli, and the like. You have to mentally strong to face up to these type of players...swan is no shrinking violet either. We even had kev suggesting that the Aussies were bowling body line, because Mitchell was bowling fast and short at our poor little batsmen...FFS

If trott had a mental problem like trescothick he should have been assessed before they went out there...England have a army of hangers on who are there to do just that! Hopefully he can take his time and cut himself adrift for a while and recover ...and yes I do know what that is like having seen a friend totally losing it and support is pathetic in this country.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I think it's a fair comment. He's not saying "How can he be depressed, he's playing the game he loves for a living and getting paid plenty of money to do it, why doesn't he just cheer up?", he's saying "If you're suffering from depression and stress then being in an environment that is now making you more stressed and depressed is probably not a good idea and it's no surprised he now wants to get out of it". I think.

I didn't draw the conclusion from this comment though

I wonder if his stress related condition has anything to do with the fact that the Aussies have totally sussed him? I'd imagine there are one or two other English batsmen also feeling a bit stressed at this point in time!

The implication was that because Australia are bowling at his leg stump and have been doing so since the start of the summer it has somehow triggered this condition. There's plenty of research into mental illness, and the two are not connected.

Stumpy Tim

Whilst feeling sorry for trott, I think all this handwringing about Clarke and Anderson is pathetic. Anderson is the nastiest ******* on the circuit when he is bowling, that is a known fact and at the end of the day, sledging is part of getting into a batsman's head.

Agree with that, though to be fair I don't think England have complained about that bit of sledging at all. That's the media picking something up and turning it into a story. I haven't seen quotes from Cook or Anderson complaining about the comments to Anderson.

They have turned on Warner, who is a plank. Given what we know now, you can understand why Cook would be upset about Trott being called weak. It wouldn't surprise me if Warner knew Trott had these issues and that's why England are so upset about it.

Makes for a good series though!

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Perhaps that C**T Warner might feel bad after his remarks calling Trott 'Pathetic & Weak'.

Good luck to Trott, he's not the first to have problems there is plenty of known cases of this sort of thing in sport.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Agree with that, though to be fair I don't think England have complained about that bit of sledging at all. That's the media picking something up and turning it into a story. I haven't seen quotes from Cook or Anderson complaining about the comments to Anderson.

They have turned on Warner, who is a plank. Given what we know now, you can understand why Cook would be upset about Trott being called weak. It wouldn't surprise me if Warner knew Trott had these issues and that's why England are so upset about it.

Makes for a good series though!

Caddick and Vaughan have been on the radio and just laughed off the comments from Clarke as part of the game, although personally I thought they were lacking in class, I've played cricket long enough to know there's some great sledging out there and those comments weren't.

Warner should crawl back under a stone, gobby little shit.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
You shouldnt be playing cricket without two legs. But bowling at his stump seems a bit harsh.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

How would these current crop had fared against the likes of Lillie, Thomson, merge Hughes, chapelli, and the like. You have to mentally strong to face up to these type of players...swan is no shrinking violet either. We even had kev suggesting that the Aussies were bowling body line, because Mitchell was bowling fast and short at our poor little batsmen...FFS

If trott had a mental problem like trescothick he should have been assessed before they went out there...England have a army of hangers on who are there to do just that! Hopefully he can take his time and cut himself adrift for a while and recover ...and yes I do know what that is like having seen a friend totally losing it and support is pathetic in this country.

What silly comments...what makes you think that he wasn't assessed before they went out there? Seems to show a total lack of understanding and assumptions.

You also seemed to have tied in the sledging which is a totally different issue compared to what Trott is going through...perhaps suggesting 'we are going to break your arm' should be a debate for another thread

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Caddick and Vaughan have been on the radio and just laughed off the comments from Clarke as part of the game, although personally I thought they were lacking in class, I've played cricket long enough to know there's some great sledging out there and those comments weren't.

Warner should crawl back under a stone, gobby little shit.

Warners comments were out of order because they were out of the context of the match in the after play press conference. England players give out just as much as the Aussies on the field (especially on the last tour here) but I can't remember them ever having a pop in a post match press conference. Warner is basically an out back hill billy w*nker who happens to be able to swing a bit of willow pretty well.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I hope the whole squad gets better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here