Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Healthy Living Thread

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
I need some help shedding some weight and being generally fitter.

Would appreciate some tasty low fat suggestion / recipes.

What do you do / eat?.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
index.jpg

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Cut out crisps, cakes, chocolate snacks, chips, cheese etc..... eat more fruit, salad, eggs, tuna, wholemeal bread, peanut butter, dark chocolate, smaller portions of main meals (plenty of protein, fewer carbs). Snack on small quantities of dried fruit or nuts.

I have lost 3st 7lbs in 5 months, without any extra exercise or ever feeling hungry... only another 12lbs* to be 'overweight' rather than 'obese'! :thumbsup:

* YES, I know!

Last edited:

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
Here is an 'average' day.

Breakfast: 4 wheetabix with the red milk. Also Scrambled egg on toast, can add in vegetables.
Gym around 8/8:30...Get back protein shake and banana around 10.
Tuna salad about 1:30/2 and an apple.
Chicken, peppers and onions in a sauce for dinner.

No snacks at all.

Also, cut out simple carbs like pasta. If you're gonna have rice, have brown rice. Simple changes really. If I fancy something sweet or a snack, I have a handful of raisins, high in natural sugar and gives me sufficient sugar needs!

D

Deleted member 18477

Protein with nearly every meal. At least 20g's of it. Eat Less carbs unless doing lots of exercise... do eat fats but the right fats. Extra virgin olive oil, nuts etc. Go easy on portion sizes of fats though...

Dunno how heavy you are. I go for 2000kcals Monday to friday and then 2500-3000 sat and sun. Why? Because i like a treat/few beers at weekend.

Do whatever works best for you. Track your calories of every meal for a few weeks to understand how much nutrition is in each piece of food.

If i was trying to shed some serious pounds i'd only eat 2000kcals at weekend too though...

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
The one thing that's going to make the biggest difference is alcohol. Try cutting it down to just once a week on a special social occasion like going to football with mates. It really will shed the pounds. Try and avoid takeaways - pizza, curries and the dreaded McDonalds or KFC. It won't happen overnight but you could notice the weight loss in a couple of months. Plenty of fruit if you feel hungry like satsumas, bananas and mango.

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
The 5 a day thing works. If you eat 5 portions of fruit and veg you won't want too much else! The other bit of good advice is to not buy food that's advertised. If you think about it, most healthy food never is. When did you last see an advert for brocolli!

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
don't buy any packets with Low Fat on them - it translates to chemical sh1tstorm.

just go large on the fruit and veg, and don't eat anything after 6pm. for protien go chick peas and lentils more than meat.

in the morning go water and lemon 30 mins before food - to get more alkaline.

the problem is not really fatty foods, its too many carbs.....and eating too late in the evening.

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
Drink lots of water. Not only does it fill you up but it stops your body retaining water as excess weight. It also stops you drinking tea or coffee.

I keep things like prawns and beetroot in the fridge for when I get the munchies. Daily exercise, cut out alcohol.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
My own regime at present

1. breakfast is a fruit and vegetable smoothie made in a blender. can load up on extra fruit as necessary during the morning
2. lunch is pretty much anything I want
3. dinner is light and vegetarian.

And I concur with the poster who said cut the booze out. All those useless calories. Having said that, I still get on the beer once or twice a week just because....well, I like it.

My brother (who is less of a chozzer than me) swears by a diet where you fast 2 days every week. You have no more than 500 cals on those days. Rest of the week you do what you want. Apparently it has other health benefits too. Can`t remember what its called but no doubt you can find it.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Cutting down the booze makes a huge difference.

Other than that, avoid anything that says 'low fat' because it often translates to high sugar. Sugar and simple carbs (white bread, white pasta etc) are the foods most responsible for weight gain. Stick to whole grains and make sure you get a good helping of protein in every meal.

Another thing about bread: There are loads of breads out there that appear brown/wholemeal, but they're not. Check the ingredients on the pack and only eat bread that is made with 100% wholemeal flour; anything else is just white bread pretending to be brown.

Lift weights.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I find eating 4 or 5 smaller meals a day keeps my metabolism steady and my weight down and gives me better energy throughout the day.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Sweet Potato chips love em

Peel and cut sweet potatoes into chip shapes
Place on baking tray brush potatoes with olive oil
Bake for around 30 minutes or until soft in the centre

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I find eating 4 or 5 smaller meals a day keeps my metabolism steady and my weight down and gives me better energy throughout the day.

Is that where your user name comes from?

(Good advice though)

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Sweet Potato chips love em

Peel and cut sweet potatoes into chip shapes
Place on baking tray brush potatoes with olive oil
Bake for around 30 minutes or until soft in the centre

Dip them into some yoghurt and chive.

I bought the Hairy Dieter's cookbook at the start of the year as wanted to lose weight prior to getting married, and shed two stone quite easily. Would also recommend, as others have said, hitting the gym, as it gives you a bit of definition in your body too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here