Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Car Purchase.. HELP!?

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Of course NSC is the only place I can get the completely fair, unbiased and mature answers that I'm looking for.. :p

I'm shifting my old Mini One as PX for a newer car in January and have a few models in mind. If anyone has any experience with any of the below models or could recommend me any, it'd be appreciated.

I've got a budget of about £6000 but can push to £7500 if I find a great deal.
My commute is short, 5 miles each way with an average annual mileage of 5000-7000.
I'm looking for a 3 door hatchback which is fairly economical, petrol and 1.6L or less.

Models I'm currently looking at: A3, Golf, and the BMW 1 Series models.

Any advice on the above is very welcome!

Tara for now.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why would you want to spend all that money on a 10 mile round trip?

Last edited:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I'd buy a new C1 Citroen. Free tax, cheap insurance and 60+mpg.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Mrs Earle has a Citroen C3. Had it 11 years on 3k a year. Just changed the tyres for the first time for £220. Great value little car.

D

Deleted member 18477

What advice is needed? All of them cars are good and are better than what you need a car for....

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
Get yourself one of these! You'll be the talk of the town.

Attachments

• imgres.jpg
    imgres.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 588

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Why would you want to spend all that money on a 10 mile round trip?

Nice edit, a little less unfriendly now.

I like nice things, I've had plenty of 'cheaper' cars and I'm in a position where I can afford quality.
Yes the work commute is nothing and I regularly run to/from work, but I do a lot of weekend driving to Brighton (from Bristol) and to away games.

I just bought a new Golf SE 1.6 TDi

Picked it up a couple of days ago.

Loving it so far and would recommend...!

Nice. I'm looking at Golfs (06-08) models. I doubt there's much you could criticize a Golf for.

I just bought a new Golf SE 1.6 TDi

Picked it up a couple of days ago.

Loving it so far and would recommend...!

That's exactly the same model as mine which I've had since March. Have you had a play with the radar yet? It's 1 of my favourite features of the car.

Stoneham, you should be able to pick up a good mk.v for that kind of money. If you opt for a dsg gearbox, make sure to get it checked out.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nice edit, a little less unfriendly now.
Yeah sorry about that, it took too long to work out what was wrong with my post.

Once again apologies.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
From that list? Definitely the A3

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I'm a big fan of BMW as you get a quality build and running costs are not to bad. Got a 6 year old 3 series and it's only really had 1 problem, which BMW paid 70% of the part cost when pushed.

Don't go diesel for that commute, you will get problems.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
from the list, the Golf - the A3 is Golf with an Audi badge for which you pay a premium.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
from the list, the Golf - the A3 is Golf with an Audi badge for which you pay a premium.

Might as well go for Skoda or a Seat then, cheaper than both and the same car underneath. He did say he wanted a nice car, the Audi is a nicer looking car and is a premium brand.

I'd go for an Alfa Giulietta personally.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
I got a top of the range Hyundai I30 '57 plate for £3.5k in the Summer, all electric, cruise control, heated seats, climate control. Is a 1.6D and gets 50 MPG. Value for money against what I could have got in the BMW/VW range, albeit with less of a brand. The mileage on car was 120K. Have been advised that these are the cars that are being rolled out in Met police/ Sussex fire brigade to replace all their ford fleets.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
Get a civic or ibiza, each for about a grand (both reliable).....and spend 5 grand going around the world for a year when you have time.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
That's exactly the same model as mine which I've had since March. Have you had a play with the radar yet? It's 1 of my favourite features of the car.

Stoneham, you should be able to pick up a good mk.v for that kind of money. If you opt for a dsg gearbox, make sure to get it checked out.

Yeah I will have a serious look at the Golfs, they're definitely in my top 2 currently.
Yeah sorry about that, it took too long to work out what was wrong with my post.

Once again apologies.
No problem. :smile:

From that list? Definitely the A3
The A3 is the one I'm leaning closest to, although the only setback is the highest cost out of the lot.

Might as well go for Skoda or a Seat then, cheaper than both and the same car underneath. He did say he wanted a nice car, the Audi is a nicer looking car and is a premium brand.

Yep, it's purely and unashamedly a materialistic luxury. I'm happy to pay the extra couple of £1000's for a nicer car that does the same as a £2k car.

My thought as well.

It's more for the weekend drives down to Brighton and everything else to be honest. I occasionally walk or ride to work.

I got a top of the range Hyundai I30 '57 plate for £3.5k in the Summer, all electric, cruise control, heated seats, climate control. Is a 1.6D and gets 50 MPG. Value for money against what I could have got in the BMW/VW range, albeit with less of a brand. The mileage on car was 120K. Have been advised that these are the cars that are being rolled out in Met police/ Sussex fire brigade to replace all their ford fleets.

Really good shout. I hadn't looked at these at all but I will now. Thanks. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here