Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Limassol derby yesterday

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
1-0 to AEL. Massive atmpsphere.

I was somewhere in the middle of this lot:

Stewards don't enter the stand area at AEL, nor do the police. Smoke bombs, flares and fireworks are all illegal in stadia here, but nobody ever seems to do anything about it. The atmosphere was awesome.

Cypriot-Seagull

Jul 15, 2011
Somewhere in Cyprus
I wasn't there due to work but my younger brother was there. He hasn't said a word since the game ( Apollon fan). It still amazes me how passionate they get about football in Cyprus it dominates the male society in every way.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
I trust all 11 were booked when they ran to celebrate with the crowd!

Amazing racket - must have been great to be in the middle of that.

Is this THE Cyprus derby or does Nicosia have the same kind of thing?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Imagine getting the Amex buzzing like, that not with the pyrotechnics maybe but they could have some fireworks when we score you see it all the time on stage so there's little danger.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
Health & safety anyone?

We don't have that here...

...no seriously. I once saw a tanker driver filling a forecourt's tanks with a fag on.

When they do bother they don't do it properly. One morning I was in one of my favourite bars in the toruist area and it was much cleaner than normal. The owner told me he had a surprise health inpesction later in the day...

I trust all 11 were booked when they ran to celebrate with the crowd!

Amazing racket - must have been great to be in the middle of that.

Is this THE Cyprus derby or does Nicosia have the same kind of thing?

It was an awesome game, awesome atmosphere. There is a Nicosia equivalent, Omonia vs APOEL. Football is political here, Apollon have a right wing nationalistic fan base, AEL have a more anarchist / lefty fanbase. In Nicosia APOEL are the right wing side and Omonia the lefties. Sometime early in their history, APOEL told all their players they had to join the fascist party if they wanted to keeop playing. Those that refused, formed Omonia. Omonia fans wear Che Guevara T-shirts to wind up APOEL and heve even been known to carry Turkish flags into the stadium. Once, in the fist year I was here, Omonia fans burned down an APOEL bar and scrawled "**** your nation" on the charred remains.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I've been teaching in Larnaca this weekend, and now understand why half my class skunked off early yesterday.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
and Limassol seemed such a quiet place

take care

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Looks amazing, I wish English fans could do that. It's a shame that out of 27,000 people at the Amex only about 200 people want to sing throughout the game like that. It's odd really, you'd think everyone in the North at least would want an atmosphere like that.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I love going to Cypriot games, even though it is totally stage managed (a la ultras) it is a great experience, and despite the violence, it makes for a superb atmosphere

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here