Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Rare Video: Walton & Hersham v Brighton (FAC 1st Round, 1973) + Match Report

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Today is the 40th anniversary of this notorious match. Brian Clough's previous away cup tie had been to Turin for the European Cup semi-Final with Juventus. What a contrast to then be travelling to Walton's council-owned ground on 24th November 1973!

I've put together an article on it, including John Vinicombe's match report. Please visit
http://thegoldstonewrap.com/2013/11/24/rare-video-walton-and-hersham-v-brighton-in-the-fa-cup/

It might bring back nightmares. Sorry!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Today is the 40th anniversary of this notorious match. Brian Clough's previous away cup tie had been to Turin for the European Cup semi-Final with Juventus. What a contrast to then be travelling to Walton's council-owned ground on 24th November 1973!

I've put together an article on it, including John Vinicombe's match report. Please visit
http://thegoldstonewrap.com/2013/11/24/rare-video-walton-and-hersham-v-brighton-in-the-fa-cup/

It might bring back nightmares. Sorry!

i'm not watching that as i am in a good mood (remember it too well) ..but well done :)

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
Thanks as ever GR. I'm slightly too young to remember it. I wonder if the Dave Bassett in the home side is he of the splendid managerial career up the road at Wimbledon.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I'm pretty sure that was my first ever away game in the cup. Had only been to Pompey prior to that in an away game. Walton scored after about ten seconds but luckily it was disallowed. The replay we all bunked off school for the Wednesday afternoon match during the power strike. Our deputy head asked at assembly the next morning if the 10 or so boys who had all gone down with this mysterious bug the day before felt better. To be honest we all felt pig sick after the 0-4. What a shambles of a side we were then.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Thanks as ever GR. I'm slightly too young to remember it. I wonder if the Dave Bassett in the home side is he of the splendid managerial career up the road at Wimbledon.

It certainly was him, yes.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Is that Ricky Marlowe at 0.48 ?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Now THAT is a classic Brighton kit.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
It's before Marlowes time & I think it's Eddie Spearitt, although the blond John Templeman is also playing.

I remember a special train taking hours to get there and then loads of Albion marauding through suburban streets. The ground was awful, Albion were awful, but we were certs to win the replay.....

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
039.jpg

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
It's before Marlowes time & I think it's Eddie Spearitt, although the blond John Templeman is also playing.

I remember a special train taking hours to get there and then loads of Albion marauding through suburban streets. The ground was awful, Albion were awful, but we were certs to win the replay.....

I remember everyone getting off the special and there were temporary traffic lights outside the station with a queue of cars. Someone hooked the traffic light cable around the rear bumper of the first car, the lights turned green and the car pulled off and dragged the lights off down the road behind it. Terrible thinking back now but was funny at the time

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here