Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We're Just Boring Teenagers

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Just read this article about current teenagers. I have been wondering for a while what they are up to as I have always been interested in Youth culture. Are they all boring and living in fear of the rest of their lives or is there something awesome going on that I am too old to know about (I hope and prey that it is the latter but i fear the former is true).

As a secondary pondering, Has the fear of indiscretions being documented by the likes of facebook, twitter and instagram and used against them in later life turned our youth into dullards.

British teenagers are an increasingly responsible and sober bunch. Teen pregnancies are at an all-time low, drug-fuelled dance culture is vanishing, careers are planned from a tender age, and preparations are made for a lifetime of tuition fee loan repayments and pension contributions. Most of the evidence shows that today's teenagers are altogether more sensible than their irresponsible, selfish parents ever were.

But where did all the fun go? What about the naive, wide-eyed collision that is supposed to happen when each teenage generation encounters an unprepared world? In other words, I worry that teenagers are becoming prematurely middle aged.

Teenagers are a wonderful human innovation. Although they are often dismissed as a cultural invention of the postwar years, all the evidence suggests otherwise. As Shakespeare and Virgil made clear in their plots, teenagers are not old children or young adults – they are fundamentally different creatures, with a fresh and impetuous approach to the world. Recently, palaeoanthropology has even shown us when teenagers first evolved. Analysis of tooth development in early Homo sapiens has shown that humans started to take more than 10 years to grow up at much the same time that their brain was making its great leap to near-modern size. This might seem too much of a coincidence.

Indeed, brain scans of modern teenagers back this up – they show that during the second decade of life the brain is profoundly restructured into its uniquely complex final form. Admittedly, the brain may exhibit some quirky behaviour during that decade, but by its end teenagers have developed formidable powers of problem-solving, creativity, self-analysis, focus, ambition, communication and social flexibility. Twenty-year-olds are better than 10-year-olds at everything.

So it was the evolution of teenagers that made us human, and do all the wonderful things humans can do, and the same remains true today. Far from being an irritating transitional phase between childhood and adulthood, teenagers represent a life-stage unique to our species and absolutely essential for its success.

All that brain restructuring means teenagers think in a completely different way from adults – a difference that can be frustrating at times, but a difference we should cherish rather than stifle. And there are some particular features of teenage thinking we must nurture if we are to thrive in the future.

One of these is creativity, something teenagers revel in. Although their thought processes may seem disordered to the adult observer, they are especially adept at comparing dissimilar concepts to create new perspectives. Indeed, many geniuses have drawn their initial inspiration from their almost gauche adolescent thoughts. For example, Einstein wondered what it would be like to ride on a light wave when he was 16 and I doubt he could have had such a crude yet brilliant thought at 60.

Also, teenagers, as we all know, tend to take risks. Parents don't like it, and the authorities don't like it, yet teenagers seem driven to do it all the same. Sometimes, terrible things happen as a result of teenage risk-taking, but very often they don't. The human mind did not evolve in a world of speeding cars, sexually transmitted diseases and potent psychoactive chemicals, and it is poorly equipped to cope with them, yet risk-taking still serves an important function. To be successful in life we have to take some risks and adolescence is when we learn what can go wrong, what can go right, and what it feels like to take a risk. Creativity and risk-taking are essential for human success and prosperity. They are not only important in the arts, but are also the key to success in science, business and the development of a civilised society. If we do not encourage our teenagers to behave like – well – teenagers, then the outlook is bleak.

The first assault on normal teenage behaviour was a side-effect of our well-intentioned protective urges. We decided the risks of sex, the risks of drugs and the risks of relationships were so great that we must warn teenagers about them as part of their school education. This approach has yielded some impressive results, reducing teenage pregnancy, STDs and drug use, yet I fear it has focused adolescent minds too much on the downside. Love, sex and the occasional tipple can be positive and enjoyable experiences, and many adults hold fond memories of their illicit adolescent indiscretions.

However, the greatest current threat to healthy teenage irresponsibility is austerity. The global slowdown has hit young adults harder than anyone else and teenagers can see what lies ahead. All too often, they now fear the third decade of their life, rather than look forward to it. Continuous coursework and assessment at school not only wrings the creativity and enthusiasm from them, but also instils a conservatism, too – a belief that adolescence is only about preparing for adulthood.

More and more, young people come to university and prospective employers with thick dossiers of certificates and commendations for the worthy activities with which they have filled their teenage years. We want sparky people with a fascination for how the world works and an ability to balance hard work and fun, but increasingly adolescence is seen as an opportunity to stuff a curriculum vitae. Young people should do things because they enjoy them, not because they fear for their financial future.

I work in a university and it saddens me how quickly the concepts of higher education and long term debt have become inextricably bound together. Young people used to laugh at the square old adults who took out mortgages and planned responsible financial futures, but now they too face that awful fate. We have imposed a terrible efficiency, an inappropriate self-control, on our young people and we simply do not seem to care.

Youth is not about being responsible – it is about being young and all the enticing, overwhelming, delicious things that come with it. Life has an emotional, sensual vividness to it when we're young and this cannot be recaptured later on. Once that is gone it is gone forever and to cloud a young person's experience of it is unforgivable. We are consigning our teenagers to an awful, bland sensibleness. And that is simply not natural.

David Bainbridge is a reproductive biologist at St Catharine's College, Cambridge, and the author of Teenagers – A Natural History (Portobello)

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/nov/23/teenagers-lives-prematurely-middle-aged?CMP=fb_gu

Last edited by a moderator:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Just read this article about current teenagers. I have been wondering for a while what they are up to as I have always been interested in Youth culture. Are they all boring and living in fear of the rest of their lives or is there something awesome going on that I am too old to know about (I hope and prey that it is the latter but i fear the former is true).

As a secondary pondering, Has the fear of indiscretions being documented by the likes of facebook, twitter and instagram and used against them in later life turned our youth into dullards.

British teenagers are an increasingly responsible and sober bunch. Teen pregnancies are at an all-time low, drug-fuelled dance culture is vanishing, careers are planned from a tender age, and preparations are made for a lifetime of tuition fee loan repayments and pension contributions. Most of the evidence shows that today's teenagers are altogether more sensible than their irresponsible, selfish parents ever were.

But where did all the fun go? What about the naive, wide-eyed collision that is supposed to happen when each teenage generation encounters an unprepared world? In other words, I worry that teenagers are becoming prematurely middle aged.

Teenagers are a wonderful human innovation. Although they are often dismissed as a cultural invention of the postwar years, all the evidence suggests otherwise. As Shakespeare and Virgil made clear in their plots, teenagers are not old children or young adults – they are fundamentally different creatures, with a fresh and impetuous approach to the world. Recently, palaeoanthropology has even shown us when teenagers first evolved. Analysis of tooth development in early Homo sapiens has shown that humans started to take more than 10 years to grow up at much the same time that their brain was making its great leap to near-modern size. This might seem too much of a coincidence.

Indeed, brain scans of modern teenagers back this up – they show that during the second decade of life the brain is profoundly restructured into its uniquely complex final form. Admittedly, the brain may exhibit some quirky behaviour during that decade, but by its end teenagers have developed formidable powers of problem-solving, creativity, self-analysis, focus, ambition, communication and social flexibility. Twenty-year-olds are better than 10-year-olds at everything.

So it was the evolution of teenagers that made us human, and do all the wonderful things humans can do, and the same remains true today. Far from being an irritating transitional phase between childhood and adulthood, teenagers represent a life-stage unique to our species and absolutely essential for its success.

All that brain restructuring means teenagers think in a completely different way from adults – a difference that can be frustrating at times, but a difference we should cherish rather than stifle. And there are some particular features of teenage thinking we must nurture if we are to thrive in the future.

One of these is creativity, something teenagers revel in. Although their thought processes may seem disordered to the adult observer, they are especially adept at comparing dissimilar concepts to create new perspectives. Indeed, many geniuses have drawn their initial inspiration from their almost gauche adolescent thoughts. For example, Einstein wondered what it would be like to ride on a light wave when he was 16 and I doubt he could have had such a crude yet brilliant thought at 60.

Also, teenagers, as we all know, tend to take risks. Parents don't like it, and the authorities don't like it, yet teenagers seem driven to do it all the same. Sometimes, terrible things happen as a result of teenage risk-taking, but very often they don't. The human mind did not evolve in a world of speeding cars, sexually transmitted diseases and potent psychoactive chemicals, and it is poorly equipped to cope with them, yet risk-taking still serves an important function. To be successful in life we have to take some risks and adolescence is when we learn what can go wrong, what can go right, and what it feels like to take a risk. Creativity and risk-taking are essential for human success and prosperity. They are not only important in the arts, but are also the key to success in science, business and the development of a civilised society. If we do not encourage our teenagers to behave like – well – teenagers, then the outlook is bleak.

The first assault on normal teenage behaviour was a side-effect of our well-intentioned protective urges. We decided the risks of sex, the risks of drugs and the risks of relationships were so great that we must warn teenagers about them as part of their school education. This approach has yielded some impressive results, reducing teenage pregnancy, STDs and drug use, yet I fear it has focused adolescent minds too much on the downside. Love, sex and the occasional tipple can be positive and enjoyable experiences, and many adults hold fond memories of their illicit adolescent indiscretions.

However, the greatest current threat to healthy teenage irresponsibility is austerity. The global slowdown has hit young adults harder than anyone else and teenagers can see what lies ahead. All too often, they now fear the third decade of their life, rather than look forward to it. Continuous coursework and assessment at school not only wrings the creativity and enthusiasm from them, but also instils a conservatism, too – a belief that adolescence is only about preparing for adulthood.

More and more, young people come to university and prospective employers with thick dossiers of certificates and commendations for the worthy activities with which they have filled their teenage years. We want sparky people with a fascination for how the world works and an ability to balance hard work and fun, but increasingly adolescence is seen as an opportunity to stuff a curriculum vitae. Young people should do things because they enjoy them, not because they fear for their financial future.

I work in a university and it saddens me how quickly the concepts of higher education and long term debt have become inextricably bound together. Young people used to laugh at the square old adults who took out mortgages and planned responsible financial futures, but now they too face that awful fate. We have imposed a terrible efficiency, an inappropriate self-control, on our young people and we simply do not seem to care.

Youth is not about being responsible – it is about being young and all the enticing, overwhelming, delicious things that come with it. Life has an emotional, sensual vividness to it when we're young and this cannot be recaptured later on. Once that is gone it is gone forever and to cloud a young person's experience of it is unforgivable. We are consigning our teenagers to an awful, bland sensibleness. And that is simply not natural.

David Bainbridge is a reproductive biologist at St Catharine's College, Cambridge, and the author of Teenagers – A Natural History (Portobello)

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/nov/23/teenagers-lives-prematurely-middle-aged?CMP=fb_gu

Cool_story_bro_1359.jpeg

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
images.jpg

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Top stuff, I love birdwatching they always come into my garden!

What do you expect from us, its Saturday night, we have all worked our balls off all week and we won against Wigan away today, and some of us :whistle:have been to the pub.
Sorry mate nothing personal

No apologies necessary.

It is Sunday morning here and I was working my way through the virtual Sunday papers and clean forgot that the UK would be falling in from the pub after celebrating a fantastic win for the boys!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
No apologies necessary.

It is Sunday morning here and I was working my way through the virtual Sunday papers and clean forgot that the UK would be falling in from the pub after celebrating a fantastic win for the boys!

::thumbsup:
Fair play , remember one thing here, you are in Aus, I am in Newhaven, you can have the last laugh:)

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Teenagers are completely tedious :drink:

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
I have noticed this also. I am 28 and have been going to my local for 11 years. I would have thought by now that there would be a new generation of drunken mishaps on the scene, but there isn't. What are they all doing?

There is a small group of 18-20 year olds who come in occasionally on a Sunday night... and all have coffee. Crazy scenes.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I have noticed this also. I am 28 and have been going to my local for 11 years. I would have thought by now that there would be a new generation of drunken mishaps on the scene, but there isn't. What are they all doing?

There is a small group of 18-20 year olds who come in occasionally on a Sunday night... and all have coffee. Crazy scenes.

I despair at the youth. Where are the drunken antics we should be tutting at and rolling our eyes about. Drinking coffee on a sunday night??? I ask you. They always said youth is wasted on the young but now it seems that middle age is being wasted on the young too!

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
They have too much to do, they earn too much money and life is too easy for them. instead of wasting their money on music, alcohol, drugs and sex, they waste it on mobile phones and computer games and then when they do go out they have to drink cheap beer or wine to get drunk before they go out so they don't spend too much when they are out!

Even though you can get a drink 24/7 they might as well be closed because most of them are empty and shut at 11 anyway.The pubs and clubs now are all the same and serve the same brands and play the same crap music.

When I was a Yewt you had 3-4 hours to either get pissed / be in bed by midnight and then you went home. We went out every night because there was nothing else to do and the night had to be planned because if you missed your mates in one pub you might never see them at all the rest of the night.

You only saw a copper when something really bad had happened and hardly anyone was ever refused service. You walked home because you couldn't get a cab and if you coulkd get a cab you could pay the fare because you spent all your money on booze or birds.

When you went to a gig or concert everyone was your age and even in town you rarely saw old people out in town they were all in their locals, now you go to concerts and some people are with their parents.

Modern life is rubbish

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Each generation goes in cycles. The austere WWI era was followed by the Roaring Twenties, which was followed by The Depression. Post WWII was followed by "You've never had it so good" in the 60s, which was followed by the strikes and student demos of the 70s. The 80s brought in the Age of Greed of today's parents. So it stands to reason that the next cycle will be a more sober, careful one. Especially in this age of the New Puritans and Global Debt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here