Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Winter motorcycle gloves

theboybilly

Can anybody recommend a decent motorcycle glove for winter riding. Protection is of course important but I need something that will keep my hands warm on a very cold early morning commute of 30 miles. I've yet to find a pair that can't keep the cold at bay for more than a few miles. I'm not greatly impressed by heated grips it must be said.

CoachVealie

Sep 19, 2011
Try silk inners. No glove will keep you entirely toasty and in my experience the tips of the fingers always go numb after 30 mins or so. When the temperature drops below 2 or 3 degrees it's just nasty nasty nasty!!

DanielT

Hand guards to deflect the wind are a huge help. Also making sure your fingertips don't touch the seam, you want a couple of mm gap or the seam will chill your fingertips

I have a pair of Alpinestars Jet Road Gore-Tex Gloves that I bought last year and only wore a couple of times but don't use cos I got some Handroids. Yours for £65 if you're a large

theboybilly

I know what you mean CV. Bike-riding work colleagues of mine are in agreement that temperatures below 3-4 degrees need serious consideration more because of the danger of black ice out in the country where it can catch out an unwary rider. If I go out and my car windscreen is frozen I will tend to take the easy option and leave the scooter in preference to a heated environment. I have no problems keeping my body warm as I have decent jackets and trousers but warm gloves have always been a bit of a problem to find.

Sloe Joe

Oct 7, 2010
Stick washing up gloves under your summer gloves which will keep you waterproof and maintain the body heat.
Probably cheaper than buying a pair of £130 pair winter gloves. Think of the comfort and £120 saving which can go towards that extra pie and pint as the season progresses (after barren November of course).

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I work in the trade so I might know a bit, not every thing, but a bit.

Price is a good guide, cheap can be OK, but if you are doing distance upwards of £70 would be a good idea. Do not buy your gloves too tight, trapped layers of air is what keeps you warm. Keep your hands moving, in town get your fingers off the levers when stationary and flex, on the motorway just do whatever you can to keep the bloodflow going. Muffs are so uncool but do work, it is all about keeping out of the wind chill, and lastly slow down. 70 mph will be about 5 degrees warmer than 90 mph. Winter on a bike ain't good.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
In case anyone's interested I found my sons winter HELMET discarded on next doors wall----its been washed but we are all traumatised by the incident:drama:

theboybilly

I work in the trade so I might know a bit, not every thing, but a bit.

Price is a good guide, cheap can be OK, but if you are doing distance upwards of £70 would be a good idea. Do not buy your gloves too tight, trapped layers of air is what keeps you warm. Keep your hands moving, in town get your fingers off the levers when stationary and flex, on the motorway just do whatever you can to keep the bloodflow going. Muffs are so uncool but do work, it is all about keeping out of the wind chill, and lastly slow down. 70 mph will be about 5 degrees warmer than 90 mph. Winter on a bike ain't good.

Thanks Woody, I was wondering about barmuffs. At 4am I'm not to worried about how cool they'll look :cool:

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
Thanks for the heads-up DFP, P & H are my dealer of choice.

Heated grips are the best option and cheaper than some gloves these days. Otherwise, as has been suggested, hand guards help and finally, if you can find them, buy mitten style gloves that split your fingers into two and two. I have all three of these things and my hands felt toasty warm for my 90 minute journey early today. I've been riding for forty years and I concur with the view that icy cold hands are a significant risk factor.

Jan 21, 2012
To be honest i think it's just trial and error. I've just got some new Dainese ones but i still wear a thin pain of gloves under them. This is my 3rd different pair of gloves in 3 winters and i'm still yet to find a pair that really will keep the cold out!

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Thanks Woody, I was wondering about barmuffs. At 4am I'm not to worried about how cool they'll look :cool:

He's dead right about bar-muffs. Along with a pair of heated grips, your hands should be toasty (with some silk gloves under your existing pair). Muffs take some getting used to - due to them hiding all the switchgear - but if your scooter's a twist & go job, you probably aren't inundated with loads of switches anyway. A friend of mine swears by heated grips & Keis heated inner gloves, but the latter are quite a big investment: especially if you buy the additional rechargable power pack.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Isn't gauntlet a great word?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here