Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who, alive now, could be the 'JFK' moment in 50 years time.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Relatively grizzly I know.
I'm struggling to think of the one person who's in their prime now and would be eulogised about in 50 years time, should they meet with an untimely death.

Clearly 9/11 is 'our' where were you when...event, but just one person?

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
The person that agreed to those ridiculous bus lanes down the Lewes Road should be a contender!

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Tony Blair would have been when he first won the 1997 election up to 2001 - probably not now though

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
erm, the queen?!

Sloe Joe

Oct 7, 2010
Keith Floyd - he still owes me two Silk Cut from a hungover New Years day morning in Devon which in the polices' eyes makes me a suspect.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Obama is about the only possibility.

Tony Blair would have been when he first won the 1997 election up to 2001 - probably not now though
I don't think (second term) Obama would generate the unconditional 'love' that's being dished out to JFK.
While Blair not going to get the international love.

Prince William
Could well make a serious contribution on the worlds stage, but succession going to put a spanner in those works.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Nah, Obama 6 months after he came into office would have but not now. Giving him that noble peace prize is looking like a bloody stupid idea.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nah, Obama 6 months after he came into office would have but not now. Giving him that noble peace prize is looking like a bloody stupid idea.
He did threaten a drone strike if they didn't pony up.

Sloe Joe

Oct 7, 2010
Is Barak Obama (Bin Laden) allegedly really American after all ?
Just seems a bit weird that's all, not that I'm disputing his true heritage at all.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Finding the target is not the problem. There was a very special set of circumstances at the time. The Bay of Pigs stand off had ended, there was a definite defined enemy with which there had recently been a great deal of tension, that was felt worldwide.
We are also talking about the trigger happy Americans. Shoot their President, who is thought by America's allies to be the new Great White Hope, popular at home and abroad. You have a situation where it's possible America's enemy is involved in killing their adored President, what's America going to do, shootback?
I think as it now transpires there was never a likelihood of that happening as I'm pretty sure their Secret Service knew fairly shortly after, where the shot that actually killed President Kennedy came from.
About now I was sitting in the basement of the Scandinavia Coffee Bar in Western Road Hove, (it's not there anymore) with our group of Scooter Boys when somebody came in and told us. The threat felt very real and imminent.

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
I would think an assassination of Obama would have the same reaction. history has a habit of being re written. JFK was not as universally loved as is widely believed now. He was in danger of losing the 64 election, in fact the only reason he was in Dallas was that Texas was such a crucial state.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here