Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Belfast worth visiting or not?

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Always fancied visiting Belfast for no particularly reason. Is it safe to walk around in any part of the city now? Are the locals more friendly than there southern cousins?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Always fancied visiting Belfast for no particularly reason. Is it safe to walk around in any part of the city now? Are the locals more friendly than there southern cousins?

i went in 1991 for an auction...found it quite interesting..but there were still troops around...i imagine its like any city in that there are some places its best not to visit after dark..otherwise why not go ahead

Last edited:

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
Definately! I have been several times and have never had any trouble,great people and great drinking.Try an "Ulster fry" for breakfast,best hangover cure ever and sets you up for the day!

Sloe Joe

Oct 7, 2010
No, the accent is disgusting which is why Christine Bleekly lost her job on main lain telly.
It's like having visual incontinence.

de la zouch

Jul 12, 2007
Fantastic city, some great bars and restaurants. The City centre is not segregated at all (do a taxi political tour though as that is something v different) The Merchant Hotel is amazing and has one of the finest cocktail bars I have ever had the pleasure of visiting (and that is my trade) if you decide to go pm me and i will happily give you the low down.

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
I wouldn't dissuade anyone from visiting as it is a nice city, plenty of bars, restaurants etc but it is quite small and outside the city centre I didn't feel quite as at ease.

Falls/Shankhill (I never appreciated they are right next to each other) are worth a look for historical perspective

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Fantastic city, some great bars and restaurants. The City centre is not segregated at all (do a taxi political tour though as that is something v different) The Merchant Hotel is amazing and has one of the finest cocktail bars I have ever had the pleasure of visiting (and that is my trade) if you decide to go pm me and i will happily give you the low down.

Cheers for that. Will bare that in mind.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Have been a few times and loved it. Lots of history (of course), great craic, some of the women are gorgeous too.

thisistips

Oct 17, 2010
Away away away

wow, that's some job

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I vote go. Interesting city. I'm back there at the end of this week.

enterprise

Jul 12, 2010
Cracking city, quite often stay there before getting the train down to Dublin (sorry, best option on rugby weekends!). Always a great atmosphere, decent bars, friendly people and reasonably priced hotels. As other people say loads of historical stuff to take in if that floats your boat. Def worth a trip for a few days.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
It's a good city these days. All my Mum's side of the family come from and live there or just outside. Was over there in April last and visited the Titanic Museum at the docks. It's well worth a visit there. There are a lot of bus trips that do the city tour, a good way to see all the areas and get some history not just on the troubles but the role of the docks in the 2nd World War. Although you would have no problem visiting any area on foot these days. The Peace Wall is worth a look and there are plenty of good bars, restaurants etc to spend time in. These days it's no different to any other city really, some good regeneration, and good nightlife.

Some interesting little points still remind you of the history such as the buildings built from about 1950 to the mid 90's all have very small windows, I'm sure you can figure out why!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here