Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gary Chivers, an appeal

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
As some of you know, I am involved with The Albion Roar (I pay their Radio Reverb fees), and also I use one of the 1901 lounges at the Amex stadium.

I’ve got to know Gary Chivers as he is our Overline Lounge host, and recently we had him as a guest on the Albion Roar radio show. One of the questions we asked him was about the various shirts/kits he’s worn in his career, and which was his most treasured. He told us a rather sad story, some years ago he took all his shirts (Chelsea, QPR, Swansea, Watford, Brighton) to a framing company (to get them framed) and the bloke running the company did a runner and stole the lot of them, consequently the only item Chivs has is his tracksuit top from the Play Off final in 1991.

Now I am an avid football shirt collector, I got to thinking, that I would like to find just one of Chivs old Matchworn shirts to give to him. It might be a bit pie in the sky, and a match shirt from his time with the club will cost a pretty penny, but I wonder if anyone has one they might consider selling to me, or maybe you know someone who has one.

Over to you.

If you haven't listened to the Gary Chivers show, you can now listen again at the new Albion Roar archive show page http://www.albionroar.co.uk/archive.php

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Pictures please.

I have a beautiful picture of the Frau with Chiver's arm around her in the ill-fitting suit. She looks worried.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
The Fraus suit wasn't that bad fitting

bit of a sad one really but as you ask, my nephew was a promising young footballer for Oakwood in the county league, he once scored at the Goldstone in a cup final (not SSC just a one off league thing) I don't know who actually gave it to him but he was a Chelsea fan so he passed it on to his uncle, it was too small for me to wear so I kept it with my prograames etc. Since moving house they've been kept in the loft awaiting something more dignified, Kevin was taken from us in 1994 aged 19 and if it had have been Chivs shirt i'd have happily returned it under the circumstances, in Kevins memory

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
bit of a sad one really but as you ask, my nephew was a promising young footballer for Oakwood in the county league, he once scored at the Goldstone in a cup final (not SSC just a one off league thing) I don't know who actually gave it to him but he was a Chelsea fan so he passed it on to his uncle, it was too small for me to wear so I kept it with my prograames etc. Since moving house they've been kept in the loft awaiting something more dignified, Kevin was taken from us in 1994 aged 19 and if it had have been Chivs shirt i'd have happily returned it under the circumstances, in Kevins memory

Sorry to hear that, very sad.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003

Thanks for the thought, and very sorry to hear that chap, here's to Kevin.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
In the days before squad numbers, he might have played in 3 or 4 different numbers over the season. Which Albion shirt and numbers are we looking for Phil?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In the days before squad numbers, he might have played in 3 or 4 different numbers over the season. Which Albion shirt and numbers are we looking for Phil?

In the main he wore number 2 IIRC, although I think there may have been occasions he wore 6, and possibly the subs shirt. I'd prefer to get my hands on a shirt with suitable provenance, ie a shirt he gave to someone, but any number 2 match shirt from his time with us would be brilliant.

Oh, and of course, he once wore the 'keepers shirt!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
How about the number one shirt from the 91/92 season? Gary started in goal with Beeney replacing Crumplin on eight minutes, due to a warm up injury to Diggers.

Edit: Just seen your reference to it.

87-88 : 10 appearances - No.2 shirt
88-89 : 50 appearances - No.3 twice, No.2 48 times
89-90 : 46 appearances - No.2 46 times
90-91 : 50 appearances - No.6 41 times, No.2 7 times, No.3 once, No.5 once
91-92 : 43 appearances - No.6 9 times, No.5 25 times, No.2 6 times, No.14 twice, No.1 once(!!)
92-93 : 53 appearances - No.2 44 times, No.6 9 times

Up to the end of the 92-93 season, Chivers had made 252 appearances for Brighton.

1 - 1
2 - 161
3 - 3
5 - 26
6 - 59
14 - 2

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Paying the bills