Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

50th anniversary of JFK assassination

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I was wondering if any other NSCers have visited the Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza in the former Texas School Book Depository in Dallas - the building from which Lee Harvey Oswald shot JFK (or did he?).

Notwithstanding the grisly subject-matter, it's one of the best museums I've ever been to. Fascinating video and background information, and you can stand at the window through which Oswald fired*. Two things in particular amazed me. Within hours Oswald was facing the press, being asked questions including: 'Did you shoot the President?' - and the traffic was running again! Today the street would be closed for weeks while the forensics people crawled all over it.

Outside you can wander all over the grassy knoll, see where the mysterious second gunman might or might not have been, and risk serious injury in the fast-flowing traffic trying get a glimpse of the markers in the roadway where the bullets hit.

* For those who can't get there. they have a webcam: http://www.earthcam.com/usa/texas/dallas/dealeyplaza/

http://www.jfk.org/

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Of course there was a second gunman behind the grassy knoll, it was JFK himself. :thumbsup:

[yt]W6naJ08Tskk[/yt]

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Of course there was a second gunman behind the grassy knoll, it was JFK himself. :thumbsup:

[yt]W6naJ08Tskk[/yt]

LBJ was behind it all alongside mafia mobster Traficante who recruited French assassins, these were then flown out of Dallas a few days after

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
and risk serious injury in the fast-flowing traffic trying get a glimpse of the markers in the roadway where the bullets hit.

Yes, I've been and agree with your review. Really, a very good museum indeed.

The markers in the road are grisly and unnecessary, though I don't think they have anything to do with the museum. However, it was very amusing standing on the plinth that Zapruder stood on when shooting that film watching Japanese tourists run out in a break in the traffic to stand on the marker having their photo taken and then weaving their way through the traffic back to the pavement.

theboybilly

I remember being aged 9, watching the news as it came in on my black & white telly in my living room (I think it was among the first 'Newsflashes' I ever saw) It was, even at that young age, something that I understood to be world-changing and I remember my parents being very upset. Everybody seemed to love JFK at that time, he seemed to be a breath of fresh air so soon after the horrors of WW2 and Korea. I couldn't get enough of the media coverage right up to, and beyond, the funeral. It was the same for me two years later when Churchill died.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Don't actually know how true any off this is,however either C4 or C5 ran a documentary the other day 'going with' JFK was shot by a security guy in the 2nd/3rd follow-up car by accident. As it goes after the first shot a rifle was picked-up off the floor by a security man of one of the following security cars and with the rifle being 'live' the jolt by speeding-up the cars a bullit was discharged hitting JFK. How true i don't know,but does anyone really believe this was all down to LHO ?

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Don't actually know how true any off this is,however either C4 or C5 ran a documentary the other day 'going with' JFK was shot by a security guy in the 2nd/3rd follow-up car by accident. As it goes after the first shot a rifle was picked-up off the floor by a security man of one of the following security cars and with the rifle being 'live' the jolt by speeding-up the cars a bullit was discharged hitting JFK. How true i don't know,but does anyone really believe this was all down to LHO ?

Saw that documentary too. Never knew JFK came to Sussex around a month before he died either.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge

Solves it for me.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I've been to the Sixth Floor Museum. Incredibly moving and one of the places I've been to that oozes a feel of history. Which some might say is rare in America.

The thing that struck me outside though, was how much of a slope the road alongside the grassy knoll has.

My own take is that LHO was involved but whether he solely fired 3 bullets?...I doubt it.

The doc on ch5 about the secret service guy accidentally shooting JFK is an interesting twist. I read the book it was based on about 7 years ago and found it plausible.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the odd thing about the secret service accident, its not even a new theory, apparently its been around since the 70's. odd that its been pretty much ignored, as it does resolve two aspects that are focused on in conspriacy theories, the head shot and the actions to remove the body out of Dallas so quickly. one's left thinking its not so much a conspriacy as a coverup.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
I was born six years after this event and over the years have seen lots of documentaries on the assasination but only today learned ( having not seen or heard this mentioned before ) that LHO killed a policeman (J.D.Tippit) who had stopped him 45 minutes after the shooting. His initial arrest was for killing Tippit and not shooting JFK. I find it facinating I had not heard this before.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I remember being aged 9, watching the news as it came in on my black & white telly in my living room (I think it was among the first 'Newsflashes' I ever saw) It was, even at that young age, something that I understood to be world-changing and I remember my parents being very upset. Everybody seemed to love JFK at that time, he seemed to be a breath of fresh air so soon after the horrors of WW2 and Korea. I couldn't get enough of the media coverage right up to, and beyond, the funeral. It was the same for me two years later when Churchill died.

I was a ten year old at the time and remember hearing the "news" of the tragedy and as you said parents were very upset. It was a Friday evening when it came through on the old black and white tv. It was my sister's 12th birthday and it was bath night in our household..

In 1982 I visited Dallas..one of the reasons being that a childhood mate had married an American national and was living in Euless..a surburb between Dallas and Fort Worth. Strangely the thought never crossed my mind to visit the Grassy Knoll etc but instead spent more time in Fort Worth going to the stock yards and Billy Bobs Texas which is one of the biggest nightclubs in the world.
Of course if I returned nowadays I would have no hesitation doing the JFK history trail.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I was only 6 so the full importance of the news didn't really hit me but I do remember seeing my parents visibly shocked and upset. I was more excited about the forthcoming new science fiction TV programme at Saturday teatime

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here