Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Seagulls Over London

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Paul Barber travels up to London and sits through 2 hours of questions in front of an audience of 20.
Great effort that.
Is an event like this publicised properly though? How many hundreds of fans either commute up to London daily or live up here and just 20 rock up.
I was delayed and got there after it had started so am hoping someone can report back and share with NSC anything interesting.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
He's hardly likely to have given any secrets away. So it's probably the same questions and same answers he has given in multiple q&a's since he became CEO.

Secrets no, but there was some interesting stuff and deserves to be retold to a slightly greater forum.
As I said, I wasn't there for the lot but here is some of the stuff I can recall.....a lot of it is not news and regular NSCers will have heard the majority of it before but some snippets may be of interest:

The club couldn't believe the statement from Bevan and contacted the LMA threatening legal action if they continued the line they were taking.

The club was never going to back down over Poyet and our case was so strong 'we would NEVER have lost' in any further legal proceedings (well he would say that :yawn:).

Gus only ever apologised once to the club about anything, and that was after his Suarez comments.

Garcia rocked up for his interview after studying dvds of 9 home games and knew the strengths and weaknesses of every player.

His contacts are multiple via his agent Pere Guardiola (and 'The Special One' even got a mention :ohmy: as he was the club interpreter when Oscar was at Barca) but his appt was too near the start of the season to have been utilised.

If we get to the promised land there are no contingency plans to ever substantially increase the capacity of the Amex apart from a few hundred extra seats that they know they can squeeze in.

No extra budget available in the Jan transfer window but obviously if players leave then those monies will be used on replacements.

Gave no opinions on the DK book but accepted that all the extra shareholders would prove to be an administrative headache and an unwelcome extra cost.

The treatment room is unusually empty at the moment.

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
Secrets no, but there was some interesting stuff and deserves to be retold to a slightly greater forum.
As I said, I wasn't there for the lot but here is some of the stuff I can recall.....a lot of it is not news and regular NSCers will have heard the majority of it before but some snippets may be of interest:

The club couldn't believe the statement from Bevan and contacted the LMA threatening legal action if they continued the line they were taking.

The club was never going to back down over Poyet and our case was so strong 'we would NEVER have lost' in any further legal proceedings (well he would say that :yawn:).

Gus only ever apologised once to the club about anything, and that was after his Suarez comments.

Garcia rocked up for his interview after studying dvds of 9 home games and knew the strengths and weaknesses of every player.

His contacts are multiple via his agent Pere Guardiola (and 'The Special One' even got a mention :ohmy: as he was the club interpreter when Oscar was at Barca) but his appt was too near the start of the season to have been utilised.

If we get to the promised land there are no contingency plans to ever substantially increase the capacity of the Amex apart from a few hundred extra seats that they know they can squeeze in.

No extra budget available in the Jan transfer window but obviously if players leave then those monies will be used on replacements.

Gave no opinions on the DK book but accepted that all the extra shareholders would prove to be an administrative headache and an unwelcome extra cost.

great piece thanks

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

Cheers. :)

Interesting to hear his 'contacts' have not yet been utilised. Might be a useful come next pre-season. :)

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
So if players leave in January then we'll have money for replacements? That doesn't sound good.

How will we replace Bridcutt and Ulloa at 11th hour in January?

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Oscar's interview prep saw him bring A4 binders with him that were about 9 inches thick full of analysis on every player, every prospect, every match, every issue - that is what caused Barber and Tony to conclude this guy just consumes football at a rate they have not ever experienced before.

And on the January window, that's not the way it came out, so don't worry. I asked if we would be a net zero spender in January and he confirmed, ie if we do sell anyone then funds will be reinvested and contingencies already exist. he really doesn't expect any key players to go, and there is no pressure for them to go, although as Tony and Gus said repeatedly in the past, if a player reaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllllllly wants to go to something bigger better then it is not right to stand in their way for too long, nd that's a good adult view to take.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Oscar's interview prep saw him bring A4 binders with him that were about 9 inches thick full of analysis on every player, every prospect, every match, every issue - that is what caused Barber and Tony to conclude this guy just consumes football at a rate they have not ever experienced before.

The fact that a highly thought of manager/coach who had just got his team into the champions league, was in demand and will manage the biggest team in the world (Barcelona) one day went to that much effort to get a job at our club makes me smile.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Paul Barber travels up to London and sits through 2 hours of questions in front of an audience of 20.
Great effort that.
Is an event like this publicised properly though? How many hundreds of fans either commute up to London daily or live up here and just 20 rock up.
I was delayed and got there after it had started so am hoping someone can report back and share with NSC anything interesting.

Says the man who didn't plan his day well enough

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
"Garcia rocked up for his interview after studying dvds of 9 home games and knew the strengths and weaknesses of every player."

That is quite impressive. I'm sure every candidate "ought" to have done this or similar, but I bet it doesn't often happen.

It amazes me that so many on here feel, even now, we should have an English manager.
TBH I'm not overly surprised by the above comments, but I would be had they been accredited to Warnock et al.

I can imagine most managers rocking up and saying to the owner, well I've done this and that, with money spent throughout the squad I will bring you promotion. Oh and don't forget the pay off clause if you decide to sack me.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Says the man who didn't plan his day well enough

Thanks for your contribution. Another thing I remember as being vaguely interesting to me...

PB said that, as a direct result of FFP budgeting at most clubs, there is a noticeable reduction in players wages demands.
The loan market is a different story altogether with clubs demanding players being loaned out are either played or if a starting place can't be guaranteed then there is a large premium added.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here