Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion still aiming for top two [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
[h=3]Albion still aiming for top two[/h]5:00am Friday 22nd November 2013 in Albion By Andy Naylor
2742650.jpg
Ashley Barnes insists automatic promotion is the target
Ashley*Barnes has refused to give up on Albion’s chances of automatic promotion this season.
The striker believes the Seagulls are capable of at least reaching the Championship play-offs for the second year running.
Oscar Garcia’s side return to action after the international break at Wigan tomorrow in 11th spot with 21 points, 11 adrift of Leicester in second.
Gus Poyet’s team were only two points better off at the same stage last season on their way to finishing fourth and Reading were languishing in 16th with 18 points when they won the title two years ago.
Barnes insists Albion still have everything to play for, especially with several key players on the way back from injury.
He told The Argus: “The squad is unbelievable. Hopefully, after the international break, there will be competition for places, and we are going to need to keep each other on our toes.
“Everyone was devastated that we missed out last year. We felt we deserved more and we should be where (Crystal) Palace are now.
“It’s one of these things that happen in life and you have got to get on with it and bounce back this season. That’s what we want to do, get automatic promotion, and if not then we are aiming for the play-offs again and going through that way.
“I wouldn’t say it if I didn’t believe it. In the group of players that we have everyone believes where we are going to go.”
Barnes is eager to stay in goalscoring form after netting twice in Albion’s last outing against Blackburn.
He said: “I’ve got a massive part to play week in week out and I need to contribute with goals. I have done that and long may it continue.”

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here