Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT Kids and computers

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I think my boy spends too much time on his computer, he (not surprisingly) disagrees.

He tends to spend 5 hours a day playing games and chatting to his mates and rarely goes out to see his friends in the flesh.

On the up side, he came away from school with 10 GCSEs and is currently studying for his A-levels and learning to drive; by the time I was his age I was out every weekend (quite often staying out all night and getting pissed), had ditched college and got a crap job at Amex.

Are other kids like that ?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
At least he's not spending 5 hours a day watching videos of other people playing computer games which seems to be something that appeals to a few ten year olds I've worked with...

Can't understand it.

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
At least he's not spending 5 hours a day watching videos of other people playing computer games which seems to be something that appeals to a few ten year olds I've worked with...

Can't understand it.

videos of minecraft by any chance?

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
This sounds exactly like my 15 year old son.

At the weekends we barely see him unless he comes downstairs foraging for food.

He is constantly on Minecraft, Battlefield 4 or Call of Duty.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Can't understand it.

videos of minecraft by any chance?

You've met my 12 year old then!

To be fair, he works his nuts off compared to me at that age. He has HOURS of homework, and he loves partaking in sport (running, mostly). So I don't begrudge him his Minecraft downtime, even if we have to keep a close eye and ration it.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I think my boy spends too much time on his computer, he (not surprisingly) disagrees.

He tends to spend 5 hours a day playing games and chatting to his mates and rarely goes out to see his friends in the flesh.

On the up side, he came away from school with 10 GCSEs and is currently studying for his A-levels and learning to drive; by the time I was his age I was out every weekend (quite often staying out all night and getting pissed), had ditched college and got a crap job at Amex.

Jnr. Skipper is the same, and the same age. Although he does have a circle of School friends and a girl friend, ( wink, wink, nudge, nudge, know what I mean.) They sound very similar. Because his school mates have always lived away from each other and not next door or next street, as the way we grew up, their friendships are through and with their computers and game consoles.
He appears to be well rounded and informed on the world and it's ways, with good people skills. Only time will tell in the long run.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Mine are 15 and 13. They are allowed a maximum of 2 hours gadget time - playstation / ipad - not counting the hours they might use the laptop for homework*.

And we are very strict of the game age restrictions. FIFA, driving games (NOT GTA obviously) and stuff like Lego Star Wars. No Halo, CoD or similar. Even after an hour concentrating on F1, they sometimes come off wired. Its not healthy, and you are absolutely right to be cautious about it.

A lot is to do with balance though. If my kids did nothing else, then I really would be concerned. As they both spend about 6 hours a week at football training sessions / matches, at least I know they are experiencing 'real' stuff, too.

*plus the hours that the older one undoubtably spends on fb via his phone... :facepalm:

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009

do his mates live close? are you close to public transport? if he's not to either of these then its quite obvious why he's chatting to them online (unless you are happy to be his taxi service)

also don't forget it's not the same as when you were younger - its just what people of this generation do. go on twitter and essentially everybody of that age spend their lives on their laptop etc

you have said it hasnt affected his schoolwork and you've also said hes spending time chatting with his mates, meaning they are doing the same thing, so i dont really see the problem. you could shove him outside to see his mates but if they are all inside doing what he's doing anyway then its a bit futile?

does he play any sports or have any hobbies?

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
My 15yo has an ipad mini that she got through school. Hove Park now dish out homework and study notes on the ipad and expect submissions electronically.

It's now almost impossible to tell if she's glued to it for good reasons or because she's permanently on facebook/facetime!

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
My son is 13 plays football trains twice a week. During the summer was out BMXing with he's mates but now the weathers not so good spends more time on playstation so do begrudge him really.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Ban it for a while, you will be surprised what they then go on to do, like interact personally with their mates and go out and play yes play and play unsupervised yes play unsupervised in the dark .......

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

When I was doing my GCSE's (90/91) I was frequently around my mates houses playing endless hours of computer games... so not much has changed in the last 20 years... apart from the actual need to go to your mates houses!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I don't own a games console for the reason that I know I'd waste my life on it. Surfing the internet and social network sites is fine to an extent; you can learn stuff, swap ideas and generally interact - NSC for example. However, gaming to me just seems like a thief of time with no real benefit other than to over stimulate the frontal lobe of the brain.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
My 15yo has an ipad mini that she got through school. Hove Park now dish out homework and study notes on the ipad and expect submissions electronically.

It's now almost impossible to tell if she's glued to it for good reasons or because she's permanently on facebook/facetime!

Go into your wifi router settings, and set it to connect and disconnect from the web at a time you think is right. That way, they get dumped offline, and can't get back on. If you still intend to surf after the time, I believe most routers allow you to control what devices can log on at what times, BT HomeHub does that.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
I don't own a games console for the reason that I know I'd waste my life on it. Surfing the internet and social network sites is fine to an extent; you can learn stuff, swap ideas and generally interact - NSC for example. However, gaming to me just seems like a thief of time with no real benefit other than to over stimulate the frontal lobe of the brain.

some people find it fun

its an art form, not dissimilar to films or books

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove
I feel sorry for kids these days, it's not a real childhood - I wonder what this generation of kids will grow up like

What is a real childhood; the one we had when we grew up? Things move on, for good or bad every generation or so. In the grand scheme of things it wasn't actually that long ago that your childhood would have been spent working.

Dec 29, 2011
Wow, this thread is actually making me sad. You lot have such outdated views on gaming (and computers in general) and can't understand it just because you never did it. When I was younger I could spend up to 10 hours a day playing games online, for a good couple of years. Do I regret it? Of course not, I still lead a well balance life, played football regularly, saw my friends, got good exam results.

Because you guys didn't do the same, you don't understand why we do it. Generations change, let your kids live their lives as they please and don't feel 'bad' for them for playing games because, in reality, they're having a ****ing good time.

Some common complaints and responses:

1. They don't spend time with their mates (do they even have mates?) - Of course they have mates, almost every kid has mates. It just likely he's playing with his friends online and interacting with them in-game to solve problems and work together. He's seen them for 6 hours at school already, don't forget.

2. They should be outside - Doing what? Seriously, there is nothing to do outside on a regular basis, especially when your mates are playing games/watching TV. Name some activities and I can say why kids won't do them.

3. They should get out getting pissed and living life (happypig) - Yes, drinking is obviously much better than increasing hand-eye coordination, teamwork, creativity and chatting to your mates :rolleyes:

This quote is probabaly the saddest in a realy sad thread:

Its not healthy, and you are absolutely right to be cautious about it.

A lot is to do with balance though. If my kids did nothing else, then I really would be concerned. As they both spend about 6 hours a week at football training sessions / matches, at least I know they are experiencing 'real' stuff, too.

So so so much is wrong with that statement and it's coming from a guy who is well respected on this forum; other people will listen to your view more readily than some posters.

There are loads of studies you can find online which have found gaming improves different aspects of cognitive function.

Please don't 'begrudge' your kids for playing games, it'll only make them feel bad or even resent you for not understanding why they play. If you take an interest in their games, ask them questions, what they're up to etc it'll make you closer, give you talking points and they'll want to talk to you to tell you what they've been up to in their game. If you have time to try and learn to play, nothing will make you closer than giving them a game of FIFA or doing multiplayer zombies with them on COD.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
I used to spend lots of time on my Xbox a few years ago. Mainly, it was because I wasn't allowed to do lots of things I wanted, so it was a way to pass the time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here