Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Primary school places

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Hi all, my ex-partner is planning to move in with her boyfriend in Brighton sometime after Christmas. Obviously I don't want her taking my daughter 30 miles away regardless, but I am really concerned about her schooling. She is 8 years old, and in a very good CofE primary up here. What is the likelihood of her being able to get in an equally good school down there, especially in the middle of the school year. I would imagine, like her current school, there are lengthy waiting lists for the best schools. She intends moving to the Preston Park area, not far from the Withdean. I'd very much appreciate any insight. Thanks

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
St Bernadette's school has a very good reputation and would be very local for the destination they're moving to.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
In that area all the primary schools are pretty decent.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
St Bernadette's school has a very good reputation and would be very local for the destination they're moving to.

Although being a Catholic school might make it difficult to get into ?

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
There's also a preference system, and primary schools are allocated, so you don't automatically get your first or second choice. But yes there are very good primary school in the area.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Westdene, Stanford, Downs, Balfour - all excellent. And it's a good area at secondary level too.

Zen Frenzy

Jul 2, 2013
Withdean
My kids were both at Westdene (10 mins walk from Withdean Stadium) which was 1st class and had a truly nurturing headmistress in the shape of Debbie Crossingham. She's still there but in the last couple of years it has expanded hugely by building onto the field and widening its demographic. Think it's just lost its Ofsted "outstanding" rating but reckon it's still the best State option in the area.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It's not true to say that all the best schools are over-subscribed. My kids are at Coldean, which has an outstanding Ofsted rating but is not full. Not really relevant in this case but it shows that there may be free places in good schools - even this late in the year

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
My kids were both at Westdene (10 mins walk from Withdean Stadium) which was 1st class and had a truly nurturing headmistress in the shape of Debbie Crossingham. She's still there but in the last couple of years it has expanded hugely by building onto the field and widening its demographic. Think it's just lost its Ofsted "outstanding" rating but reckon it's still the best State option in the area.

To be fair, the criteria for outstanding got much harder a couple of years back, so a lot of schools have actually improved considerably yet still "dropped" in terms of their ratings.

Also I'd say Ofsted shouldn't be the massive indicator to help you choose a school, particularly primary, a huge amount of it is the atmosphere and how settled/happy the kids feel. Obviously if schools are in special measures alarm bells ring, and if they are labelled outstanding they are pretty good, but it's a very subjective notion.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
what happend to the school lottery?

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009

How a school could still get an overall 'outstanding' when it was only good or worse in the 'teaching' category is beyond belief
Virtually all are coming down a level with tougher targets on their 'next' review

D

Deleted User X18H

This is our nearest school, but it is a Catholic School. But surely that doesn't mean a non catholic child couldn't attend.

Stanford impressed us a lot when we went to visit even though we were two metres outside the catchment area.

It hasn't disappointed.

This time of year you might get West Blatch or Benfield, irrspectice of your location becuase like the Villa Bella, they always have vacancies.

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
I'm also looking for a good primary school, anywhere in Sussex.

My son is currently at a top private school in London and getting the highest mark in every subject, despite being the youngest in the year. But I have lost my job and can't afford the fees any more. I want a school with a strong academic and sporting focus and extra-curricular activities .. no idea where to start though. I will move to wherever the school is.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
Some of the private schools offer bursaries? Brighton College is the top academic school in Sussex with a strong sporting facilities and reputation. They do some scholarships etc.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
I'm also looking for a good primary school, anywhere in Sussex.

My son is currently at a top private school in London and getting the highest mark in every subject, despite being the youngest in the year. But I have lost my job and can't afford the fees any more. I want a school with a strong academic and sporting focus and extra-curricular activities .. no idea where to start though. I will move to wherever the school is.

West Kent has very good primary's and looking to the near future for you, still has grammar schools. If he's very bright, might get into a super selective grammar e.g Judd in Tonbridge or Skinners in T Wells. Similar results to "top private schools" but at no cost (tutoring and house prices aside)!

And under an hour from The Amex!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here