Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Patcham

Weezle

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I currently find myself living deep into Palace territory at the top of the M23 and for various reasons think it's time to relocate to Brighton. Following the Peacehaven thread I thought it might make sense to ask advice about an area BEFORE I look to relocate.

I'm thinking of relocating to Patcham largely because of its easy access to the M23 and therefore access to Hassocks station. The reason for this being I have to commute to London every day for work. I believe a commute from Hassocks would be better than Brighton as all the trains that come through Hove and start from Brighton come through Hassocks on their way to London in the morning.

I have two young boys who are 3 and 1. The 3 yr old is due to start school next September. So schools are something to consider.

I currently know very little about Patcham, so please NSC, help me fill in the blanks. What is Patcham like? What are the positives and what should I be aware of?

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Is Sydney ( your location ) at the top of the M23 then?

kano

Jun 17, 2011
depends on your budget but if you go a little further along london road you could be within walking distance of preston park station and get trains to london from there.

Cold Gettin Dumb

Jan 31, 2013
It's great for all the reasons you stated.
I find living this side of town as opposed to central, there is a different quality of life.
It's an easier pace, and less of the negatives like noise and Agro.
Re the train, is the hassocks stop a semi fast service stop only?

Weezle

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Hi grubbyhands. I saw that after I posted and wondered how long it would be until someone commented. One post, well done!

Kano, not as many trains go through Preston Park in the morning as Hassocks as the trains that come from Hove don't stop there. Preston Park is also that bit more expensive. I'm going to need a four bed house and Preston Park could be out of my budget.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Hi grubbyhands. I saw that after I posted and wondered how long it would be until someone commented. One post, well done!

Kano, not as many trains go through Preston Park in the morning as Hassocks as the trains that come from Hove don't stop there. Preston Park is also that bit more expensive. I'm going to need a four bed house and Preston Park could be out of my budget.

Parramatta (sp) is nice from memory.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Just moved there myself, I like it. Quiet with good access to local amenities and no packs of chavs/twatty kids roaming the streets at night.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Do you really want to move somewhere where you'll have to drive, and then park, before you even get on a train?

I don't know Hassocks at all but like most commutable places, I assume parking close to the station will not be easy.

(I'm facing a similar move and thinking about Horsham for direct trains to London Bridge. Schools are also a big factor for me.)

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Do you really want to move somewhere where you'll have to drive, and then park, before you even get on a train?

I don't know Hassocks at all but like most commutable places, I assume parking close to the station will not be easy.

(I'm facing a similar move and thinking about Horsham for direct trains to London Bridge. Schools are also a big factor for me.)

I used to commute from Hassocks when I was in Hurstpierpoint and the parking as OK as long as you get there fairly early (I used to get there at 7.30ish). It costs about £4.50 a day to use the station car park and that fills up pretty quickly, the best bet is to go on the southbound side. If you're looking for free parking it's a nightmare on the roads by the northbound side (Stanford Ave. etc.) and you'll likely have a long walk down Woodlands Road if you try the other side.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town

@Bozza if you need an help or advice about Horsham let me know, I have lived there most of my life, with a brief 5 year stint in Brighton so can advise on Schools, areas etc if you want any info let me know.

Weezle

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Puppet Master - that's good to hear. Thank you.

Bozza - I drive a scooter, so parking is never an issue. Ideally it would be good to live right next to a station but that's not always possible. Since Hassocks is ten minutes on the train out of Brighton at least I am travelling to the station in the direction of London and cutting down my train journey time.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The problem with commuting from Hassocks is that you take your chances getting a seat on some services. If you're thinking of Patcham, why not scooter to Preston Park?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
The problem with commuting from Hassocks is that you take your chances getting a seat on some services. If you're thinking of Patcham, why not scooter to Preston Park?

Indeed, I hardly ever got a seat in the mornings from Hassocks. They may get the trains from Littlehampton but they are usually full before they get to Hassocks, Preston Park is a much better bet.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Patcham is a decent place to live. As you say, fairly easy to get out onto the A23 / A27 ( although early morning can be a bit busy ). A number of pubs within walking / staggering distance. Good local schools - Patcham Infant School is very good and the senior school is improving all the time.

Decent bus services for getting into town. Most family size houses have decent sized gardens and parking generally isn't an issue.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
If you want excellent schools, go as near to the Balfour/Surrenden area if you can afford it. Preston Park Station would be close, and you've then got several big parks for the kids on your doorstep, plus a great set of amenities and easy access to the icy centre and the a23.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
@Bozza if you need an help or advice about Horsham let me know, I have lived there most of my life, with a brief 5 year stint in Brighton so can advise on Schools, areas etc if you want any info let me know.

Thanks and appreciated. I'm likely to be in touch!

Stumpy Tim

Lots of the trains from Hove stop at Preston Park, so you have no worries there. Also, if you're going to scooter to a station, it's probably better to go to Haywards Heath as you get more fast trains in the evenings especially.

Have a look at the Withdean and Westdene areas. Westdene is a cracking school, though to be fair most primary schools in Brighton are. You've also got Windlesham not far away too :thumbsup:

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Love the area, i moved here 18 yrs ago and have no intentions of moving anywhere else , no parking charges.10 minute drive to the stadium, just of the bypass for A23 A27, short drive to the new training ground. Asda up the road along with Argos, NEXT, BRANTANO, M&S & MATALAN
not sure why others have not mentioned Patcham school, Patcham infants and Juniors all very close together , buses into town every 10 minutes if you dont fancy Preston park station Brighton station car park is only 15 minutes away

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here