Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steve Cook-sell on?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Go on then ?
I can't quote a figure as I can't now remember accurately, but Bournemouth dangled a HUGE pay rise in front of him. They were well documented for paying over the odds and this was no exception. I believe the chap I worked with although I personally didn't like him. He once told me that Cook wouldn't be playing around Christmas a day or two before the teams were known, because he'd been out on the lash in Eastbourne and fallen over and injured his leg. This turned out to be true.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I can't quote a figure as I can't now remember accurately, but Bournemouth dangled a HUGE pay rise in front of him. They were well documented for paying over the odds and this was no exception. I believe the chap I worked with although I personally didn't like him. He once told me that Cook wouldn't be playing around Christmas a day or two before the teams were known, because he'd been out on the lash in Eastbourne and fallen over and injured his leg. This turned out to be true.

Doesn’t surprise me, plucky Bournemouth went for it that season / the one after

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I think he made his debut in the City game and then disappeared for a while before reappearing as a sub under Poyet vs Liverpool at the Amex in the League Cup again before being shipped off to 'Muff. Poyet thought he was a bit of a "child" to put it kindly if memory serves.

Poyet made comments about Cook needing time away from Sussex and to grow up when he moved on loan to Mansfield. These comments were from Oct 2010, about a year later he joined Bournemouth on loan, he played for us in a league game against Southampton and then returned to Bournemouth on a permanent deal a few days later in Jan 2012. The appearance against Liverpool came just before the loan move to Bournemouth in September 2011.

https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/8459788.loan-move-will-force-seagulls-youngster-to-grow-up/

Last edited:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I think he made his debut in the City game and then disappeared for a while before reappearing as a sub under Poyet vs Liverpool at the Amex in the League Cup again before being shipped off to 'Muff. Poyet thought he was a bit of a "child" to put it kindly if memory serves.

I remember Cook playing v Southampton in 11/12 when we won 3-0...think he played RB as we had an injury crisis that day (JFC made his debut too).

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I remember Cook playing v Southampton in 11/12 when we won 3-0...think he played RB as we had an injury crisis that day (JFC made his debut too).

New Year's Day? I was very hungover for that and can only remember the JFC goal.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
I saw this too.

He then went down "injured". So I think a bit of schadenfreude is well deserved in his case.

Always struggle with players who do this against their former clubs. Hammond was the same.

I would recommend listening to Dean Hammond's appearance on the Footy, Albion and Me podcast.

He gives his side and apologizes again.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I would recommend listening to Dean Hammond's appearance on the Footy, Albion and Me podcast.

He gives his side and apologizes again.

I have.

All I would say is that I have rarely been as incensed at a football game as I was when Hammond did that. There are plenty of instances of players with grudges going back to former clubs but it is extremely rare to see behaviour as bad as Hammond that night. My son was 12 at the time and he still describes it as the most unforgivable celebration he's seen on a football pitch.

Adebayor was probably worse, but that's about it.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
New Year's Day? I was very hungover for that and can only remember the JFC goal.

I text my mate something along the lines of “Brezovan is starting, I’m going home.*” while I was on the train to the game. Cue us winning 3-0 and me never living that text down.

* I didn’t really go home

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

When we tried to buy Grabban, Bournemouth raised his wages so the deal fell through. It's no wonder they broke FFP.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
When we tried to buy Grabban, Bournemouth raised his wages so the deal fell through. It's no wonder they broke FFP.

This behaviour was one of the reasons I dislike Bournemouth. That feeling that our club was living within both its means and also within FFP boundaries. It seemed at the time that Bournemouth along with a few other clubs, were taking advantage of the league's weakness and of clubs who were trying to play fair.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If Burnley buy him... maybe we get the sell-on at long last....

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Alternatively, Grabban and his agent used us in their negotiation.

But effectively re FFP Plucky did cheat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

I think there were plenty of stories from around that time that Bournemouth were paying Cook and Elphick more in League One that we were paying our then captain Gordon Greer in the Championship.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
He’s a perfect fit for Burnley - perfect. Never rated him highly either.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think there were plenty of stories from around that time that Bournemouth were paying Cook and Elphick more in League One that we were paying our then captain Gordon Greer in the Championship.

It still seems all wrong that we practically gave them the CB pairing that got them to the PL before us! Still, TBF, they probably went some way to making amends by letting us have Murray back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here