Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Foreign languages

Racek

Wing man to TFSO top boy.
Jan 3, 2010
Edinburgh
How many languages as a group can we speak to intermediate level?

I can speak czech, but not to that level.

Over to you...

Coach_Carter_92

Apr 25, 2013
Home
I used to speak Spanish and French very well a few years ago (fast tracked at school to take exams few years early), however now i only remember the basics, as well as some basic Turkish

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Dutch semi-fluently. French reasonably conversationally. I can bluff my way on holiday in Italian, Spanish and German, so long as no one brings up politics.

Used to be semi-fluent in Bahasa Indonesia, but I haven't spoken it much in 20 years so would probably struggle now, beyond ordering nasi goreng ayam or soto babat.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Basic German and at the moment teaching myself French. I'm required to learn outside the university, a language due to the nature of my course. £9,000 a year, and they don't throw in language lessons....

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
My grandfather used to say he was fluent in English, Yiddish, and Rubbish....

When I lived in Holland, my missus told me that Dutch was a throat disease and not a language, so didnt bother learning.

Im fluent in Cesky...

Dobry Den, do you speak English, prosim?'

My waster of a GF speaks Uzbek, Russian, Czech, and English...

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
None, I've been meaning to learn French at some point as the misses is French. Never been good at languages so have put it off.

She on the other hands speaks fluent French, English. Intermediate (enough to get around) Spanish and Thai with the odd bit of Italian.

Bitch.

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford
I'm a very decent French speaker. Learned in school and quite liked it so I kept using it, that's how I communicate with the French lad at my football club. I get some really funny looks when I'm lining up a wall (as a goalkeeper) while shouting 'Droit' & 'Gauche' ......(Right & Left)

My Portuguese is also not bad. Obviously I've spent a lot of time over there and tried to learn. During my few months playing out there my speaking skills improved a lot.....my Portuguese reading is pretty woeful though

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Good luck to Steve with Czech...

I spent almost half a day, looking for a street, that the property agent told me to meet him at... He told me 'Husinetska'...what I didnt know was, they spell it 'Husinecka'...

and any country that has a word like 'Ctvrtek' in it...deserves to be left well alone...

scooter1

How soon is now?
Two years living in rural Spain forced me to learn the language pretty quickly, and I'm glad I did. When I go back it's great to be able to communicate with the locals, and the courtesy you get from them for having made the effort, is worth making the effort for. It also meant that I was able to communicate with Calde at the sponsors dinner in his first season at Withdean. I can confirm he didn't like the pie that night......

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Assuming by speaking 'foreign', you mean shouting English slowly and loudly at some lazy arsed donkey killer.
Then there are very few languages I'm NOT fluent in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here