Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I made a music video

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Inspired by the 'This is Brighton' video (there's my tenuous link to posting on here!) and an app I downloaded on my phone called 'Miniatures' I set about making a video for one of my tunes. I produce House music so if that's not your bag, perhaps turn the volume down or find another less spammy thread.

It's all set in my home of the last decade, Hiroshima, Japan. A timelapsey kind of thing which I hope might let you pass 5 minutes of your day, and, show you another side to the city I'm sure you've all heard of.

Oh and probably best watched on the higher settings. It was filmed on a phone after all!

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
How did you end up in Hiroshima, W.C.?

And (I presume you speak the language) how long did it take you to learn Japanese?

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
How did you end up in Hiroshima, W.C.?

And (I presume you speak the language) how long did it take you to learn Japanese?

I met a girl in Brighton town! Was planning on heading abroad for a bit anyway, went to Japan with her (she's from Hiroshima) then Spain and then back to Japan.

We both planned to come back to Brighton but it hasn't happened......yet. Took her to Withdean on our second date :luckylady:

Still learning. I've got lazy. I have friends who don't speak English so I do ok, but could be much better. With languages its all about how much effort you put in.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
And this (just saw the link after your video finished): have you ever eaten one of these? Amazing. Is this the Japanese equivalent of a doner kebab?

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
The swing tilt effect only really works with a large frame so the desired affects are inconsistent. That said, it's not a bad effort for a free visual to accompany a house track.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
The swing tilt effect only really works with a large frame so the desired affects are inconsistent. That said, it's not a bad effort for a free visual to accompany a house track.

Cheers! My first ever attempt at making some video so not sure exactly what you mean but enjoyed doing this so might look at having another go and doing it properly.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
And this (just saw the link after your video finished): have you ever eaten one of these? Amazing. Is this the Japanese equivalent of a doner kebab?

Many many times! It's really good, the local 'speciality'. Cheap, tasty and filling. There's a bit in my video of a friend of mine making one.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Cheers! My first ever attempt at making some video so not sure exactly what you mean but enjoyed doing this so might look at having another go and doing it properly.

The video looks like you used a swing tilt (or tilt shift) affect, making the people in the big city shots look like toys - used to amazing affect here [yt]XboAeIjcs2E[/yt]

It doesnt work so well when you're up close to thing, that's all.

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
Lovely - thanks for the upload. I love Hiroshima, had two crazy fun trips there - it's a really vibrant and beautiful place.

First time I went was 2001 before they closed the magic mushroom loophole - it's a perfect place to wander around wibbled! Beautiful Shinto temples and great clubbing with gorgeous ladies and love motels - happy memories indeed.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Very good , thanks. I had more questions but Edna asked them. My only question is how do you keep the phone so still, do you just stand it on a hard surface? I noticed on the shot with the two small motor boats, if you lift your gaze up from the boats you see an extremely iconic Hiroshima landmark.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Lovely - thanks for the upload. I love Hiroshima, had two crazy fun trips there - it's a really vibrant and beautiful place.

First time I went was 2001 before they closed the magic mushroom loophole - it's a perfect place to wander around wibbled! Beautiful Shinto temples and great clubbing with gorgeous ladies and love motels - happy memories indeed.

That's funny you mention that as I first lived there for a year in 2001 and, one night in a small bar I used to go to, the 'master' was handing out magic mushroom drinks...

Nice to hear your positive view of the place. Most people who come say the same, but of course it's only really known for one thing.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Very good , thanks. I had more questions but Edna asked them. My only question is how do you keep the phone so still, do you just stand it on a hard surface? I noticed on the shot with the two small motor boats, if you lift your gaze up from the boats you see an extremely iconic Hiroshima landmark.

Cheers!
When I first tried out the app I really liked it so paid for the full version. My first attempts were a bit wobbly so, as recommended by the app, I bought a cheap little tripod. In a couple of the clips you can still see some wobble from wind or bouncing bridges, but a small 10 quid tripod is all you need.

And yes, the A Bomb dome does appear a couple of times although I did try to avoid using the typical Hiroshima views. Wanted to give more of a sense of everyday life. The little boat scene was just a lucky moment I happened to be there though, and with the dome in the background it looked pretty good.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
The video looks like you used a swing tilt (or tilt shift) affect, making the people in the big city shots look like toys - used to amazing affect here [yt]XboAeIjcs2E[/yt]

It doesnt work so well when you're up close to thing, that's all.

ahh I see. Yeah the app is supposed to be for doing stuff like that but the tilt-shift effects in it are quite basic so I only used them very slightly and just left it as a time-lapse thing.

That Samba video is great.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
really liked that vid, and the music

whats hiroshima like as a city? it kind of looks less built up than i thought it would - although i have a preconception that all japanese cities are huge bustling metropolises

thanks very much!

It's a nice city. Big but small. Just over a million people but the city centre is pretty compact. Attractive as well with 7 rivers running through it, and the sea with lots of islands dotted about and mountains to the north. Certainly nothing like Osaka and Tokyo.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
really liked that vid, and the music

whats hiroshima like as a city? it kind of looks less built up than i thought it would - although i have a preconception that all japanese cities are huge bustling metropolises

just checking your souncloud mixes....sounding good so far!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here