Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bulgaria - Skiing

porkdog

May 9, 2008
by the sea
Hi all

Just wondered if anyone has been to Bulgaria skiing before? a group of us are on a skiing stag do there in March and wondered if anyone had any information they could share please, most importantly the beer / food prices and any night life information would be great.

We are staying in Borovets if thats any help.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Hi all

Just wondered if anyone has been to Bulgaria skiing before? a group of us are on a skiing stag do there in March and wondered if anyone had any information they could share please, most importantly the beer / food prices and any night life information would be great.

its a bit of a dump went a few years ago with a big brighton contingent, but its cheap and good fun.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Hi all

'DO NOT DO IT'

Seriously do not do it, Take a look at doing a trip elsewhere, all friends who have been have had nothing but bad experiences.

Everyone I know has tried to save a bit of money by going to Bulgaria and hated it, the snow is generally pretty poor and by March if its a bad year for snow you could be left with skiing down roots and mud.

porkdog

May 9, 2008
by the sea
'DO NOT DO IT'

Seriously do not do it, Take a look at doing a trip elsewhere, all friends who have been have had nothing but bad experiences.

Everyone I know has tried to save a bit of money by going to Bulgaria and hated it, the snow is generally pretty poor and by March if its a bad year for snow you could be left with skiing down roots and mud.

Oh dear, that wasnt the response i was hoping for.

far too late im afraid as it was all booked up and paid for last week, even if there isnt any snow im sure we can find a few decent bars to be spending our time in. fingers crossed however for a good season of snow

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I skiied there, on a school trip, in 1987. Not sure this helps much.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Generally poor slopes, basic accomodation, and shit food. Beer will (should) be cheap though

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I skiied there, on a school trip, in 1987. Not sure this helps much.

I went around that time as well, I can remember the head waiter having a gun in his back pocket the the chair lifts were basically a single metal chair with a very small bar and they stopped for 10-15 minutes at a time, I'm sure my fear of heights stemmed from then being stuck high above bare rocks for ages waiting for it to start again. Oh and every car was a Lada.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I went around that time as well, I can remember the head waiter having a gun in his back pocket the the chair lifts were basically a single metal chair with a very small bar and they stopped for 10-15 minutes at a time, I'm sure my fear of heights stemmed from then being stuck high above bare rocks for ages waiting for it to start again. Oh and every car was a Lada.

We went to Pamporova, but we flew into to Plovdiv, which turned out to be a military airbase. No word of a lie - they sent out a TANK to meet our plane, and it parked up 100 yards away, with its gun pointed towards us, whilst we disembarked onto the 1960's soviet coach, which was to take us direct to our hotel. Interesting welcome.

Cragglez

Jan 6, 2012
Peacehaven
I've been twice before and off again in January. I for one have had no bad experiences of the country and love it there! The snow has been great, food amazing, beer is cheap (40p a pint), hotels extremely cheap and luxurious. I ski in Bansko and have had no problems there. March might be a bad time for snow, but it does snow up until April, so hopefully you will be ok, especially in the mountains. Be warned of taxi drivers as some can rip you off and take you the long route to where you want to go (don't worry though, it will still work out cheaper than bus fare in this country!). You will have a great time on a stag do. Enjoy!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
We went to Pamporova, but we flew into to Plovdiv, which turned out to be a military airbase. No word of a lie - they sent out a TANK to meet our plane, and it parked up 100 yards away, with its gun pointed towards us, whilst we disembarked onto the 1960's soviet coach, which was to take us direct to our hotel. Interesting welcome.

Yep that's where we went, although we didn't get a tank welcome us. And as for the plane - it was the first time I have ever flown so I didn't know any difference, thankfully.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Oh dear, that wasnt the response i was hoping for.

far too late im afraid as it was all booked up and paid for last week, even if there isnt any snow im sure we can find a few decent bars to be spending our time in. fingers crossed however for a good season of snow

As you're going on a stag do you probably won't be too bothered, but the ski area is fairly small, about 70KM in total and only about 10 runs.

Arrid

Jul 26, 2004
Went their 8 years ago, cheap and cheerful, skiing limited but fine for beginners, didn't have any problems.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

I had this identical experience in 1982.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

we went about 40 handed from bevendean scoomb and saltdean had an absolute blast. recommended. funniest thing was a load of scouse plovdiv fans at gatwick who apparently went to a load of games out there a season. they were funny.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here