Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I pod tech help please

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Yes its me again needing advice. I want to copy music from my I pod to my tablet possibly via micro sd card. I have bought an external card reader but need advice on how to do it without removing it from my I pod. I went on google but it only showed how to transfer it it from I pod to sd card not copy it so it would then be removed from the I pod. Many thanks

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
You need something called 'sharepod' which you can download off the Internet. It's free and allows you copy music from your iPod.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
...and illegal!

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
...and illegal!

If you have legally bought/downloaded the music why is it illegal? ( its not )

If you're using Windows, you also can just plug the iPod in, open the iPod in Windows Explorer, and enable the viewing of hidden files. For this example, we'll say the iPod mounted onto the I:/ drive. Navigate to I:/iPod_control/Music (again, note these are hidden folders and you will need to have viewing of hidden folders enabled for this to work).

In that folder will be subfolders named F00, F01, F02 and so on that contain all your songs -- the files will have odd names, usually 4 random letters -- however the file information for each file contains the actual information, so you can also just access the files directly this way.

or download iexplorer....(its free)

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I thought the music is licensed to you via apple and therefore only accessible through apple devices?

I stand corrected if not so!

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
I thought the music is licensed to you via apple and therefore only accessible through apple devices?

I stand corrected if not so!

Does it matter? if he has bought and paid for the music then let him use it how he wants, personally I refuse to pay apple/itunes anything and use an free app that lets me download all my music for free

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am told the simplest but not the quickest way, is to download the CDs, that I have to Windows Media Player then click and drag the files over to the SD card. I never thought to ask my 10 year old niece, who offered this information when I was talking about it to her gran

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I use sharepod. If you bought the music legally, it's not illegal to download it from your ipod to your computer.
By the way, ipods have an internal storage system so no removable card.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I assume when you say iPod you mean an acutal Apple iPod and don't mean another MP3 player? If it is an Apple product did you use iTunes to sync the music? If you've got the PC that the music was sync'd from then somewhere on there you should find a folder with all the music in it. Depending on what OS your windows machine is using the default iTunes folders should be somewhere in the my documents folder for the user that sync'd the music to the iPod. If you can find that folder you should be able to copy those MP3 files to a memory card and stick that straight into your tablet.

If you don't have the PC or iTunes account that the iPod sync's with you will need to use a third party product like sharepod.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Does it matter? if he has bought and paid for the music then let him use it how he wants, personally I refuse to pay apple/itunes anything and use an free app that lets me download all my music for free

Apple do not SELL music so anything downloaded from itunes is not "bought and paid for"... itunes licenses music for you to listen to, you have bought only the right to listen to it under the terms and conditions of your contract with Apple. You cannot transfer, sell, give away or otherwise move the music from device to device as you want.

I too don't download anything from Apple, but at least I understand what it is I'm not doing!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Apple do not SELL music so anything downloaded from itunes is not "bought and paid for"... itunes licenses music for you to listen to, you have bought only the right to listen to it under the terms and conditions of your contract with Apple. You cannot transfer, sell, give away or otherwise move the music from device to device as you want.

I too don't download anything from Apple, but at least I understand what it is I'm not doing!

Yes that is how I understood it.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012

Yes that is how I understood it.

Even so Apple allow apps on their App store that are designed to circumvent this and transfer the music or even download it free anyway

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here