Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cinque Port Seagulls?

Feb 14, 2010
Wondered how many Albion fans are from The Cinque Ports? As you are residents of England's first real Navy then I thought that something to celebrate. I also wondered if there is a Cinque Ports BHA flag out there?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Seaford was a Cinque Port until Newhaven stole it's river. Never forget.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I used to be, I went to school in Dover, but I wasn't an Albion fan then so I guess it doesn't count.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Seaford was a Cinque Port until Newhaven stole it's river. Never forget.

No Doug Seaford was a "Limb" of one of the Cinque Ports, probably Hastings. It was officially part of the Cinque Ports Asociation until late in the 19th Century when it got its Urban District Council I think, which disbarred it.

Newhaven or Meeching as it was did not steal the river outlet, the shingle effectively blocked the mouth at Seaford Head in about the 15th-16th centuries and the River Ouse found a direct way out at Meeching, which was then made the "New Haven"..

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I was once doing a pub quiz and the question master asked " How many Cinque Ports are there ?..... and I want you to name all 5 for the point "

Feb 14, 2010
Without looking it up, 1. Rye, 2. Dover 3. Seaford/Newhaven (Im not getting involved in that battle), 4. Hastings (?) 5. Somewhere in Kent

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Sandwich, Dover, Hythe, Romney and Hastings were the five original ports that made up the Cinque Ports. Others such as Rye, Winchelsea and Seaford later became limbs of one of the five ports. Newhaven was never part of it.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
No Doug Seaford was a "Limb" of one of the Cinque Ports, probably Hastings. It was officially part of the Cinque Ports Asociation until late in the 19th Century when it got its Urban District Council I think, which disbarred it.

Newhaven or Meeching as it was did not steal the river outlet, the shingle effectively blocked the mouth at Seaford Head in about the 15th-16th centuries and the River Ouse found a direct way out at Meeching, which was then made the "New Haven"..

Yes I know.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
The limbs are

Lydd (Limb of New Romney)
Folkestone (Limb of Dover)
Faversham (Limb of Dover)
Margate (Limb of Dover)
Deal (Limb of Sandwich)
Ramsgate (Limb of Sandwich)
Brightlingsea (Limb of Sandwich)
Tenterden (Limb of Rye)

No sign of Seaford or Newhaven

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Are, there are Seaford and Pevensey;

There are in addition some 23 towns, villages and offices which have varying degrees of connection to the ancient Liberties of the Cinque Ports. The coastal confederation during its mediæval period consisted of a confederation of 42 towns and villages in all. These include;
Limbs of Hastings - Grange (now part of Gillingham, Kent), Bekesbourne, Bulverhythe, Northeye (former village in Sussex), Eastbourne, Hydney (now Hampden Park, part of Eastbourne), Pebsham (small village between Bulverhythe and Bexhill-on-Sea (then as Bexhill), Pevensey and Seaford (in Sussex).
Limbs of Sandwich - Reculver, Sarre, Fordwich, Walmer, Stonar (near Richborough) and Brightlingsea (in Essex).
Limbs of Dover - Birchington, St. Johns (part of Margate), St. Peters, Ringwould, Woodchurch and Kingsdown.
Limbs of Hythe - West Hythe.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
The limbs are

Lydd (Limb of New Romney)
Folkestone (Limb of Dover)
Faversham (Limb of Dover)
Margate (Limb of Dover)
Deal (Limb of Sandwich)
Ramsgate (Limb of Sandwich)
Brightlingsea (Limb of Sandwich)
Tenterden (Limb of Rye)

No sign of Seaford or Newhaven

Seaford is no longer a cinque port, I am not sure of the exact facts but the sign going into Seaford was changed a few years back.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905

Actually this is partially correct. The original mouth of the Ouse was its current position, a small Roman port existed there that served the agricultural areas around Ripe and Chalvington - the minor Roman road serving the two places ran across Heighton Hill where its agger is still very visible today. During the early medieval period a shingle bank or spit was formed by the eastward movement of longshore drift and pushed the river mouth to Seaford (A process repeated at the mouths of the Arun, Adur, Cuckmere and Rother) until the river entered the sea beneath Hawks Brow. This shingle bank was highly unstable and susceptible to being blocked during heavy storms and the process was accelerated by the silting of the mouth due to the river not having a powerful enough scour to clear it. Thus the port of Seaford had become decayed by the 15th century and eventually the mouth was closed by a number of storms soon after. In 1539 a new cut was made at Meeching which came to be known as Newhaven from this point, roughly where the current one is but had little protection in the way of piers and soon began silting and drifting eastwards again. By 1698 the mouth lay a little to the west of the current Bishopstone station - see http://www.geog.port.ac.uk/webmap/dummer/mapdum15.htm a survey taken out by the Crown to see which ports were still able to be used for naval purposes. The current mouth was cut again in 1731 and given greater protection remains today.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Six years of schooling in Rye and I see myself as a Cinque Port (or rather an Antient Town) man!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here