Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A27 between Beddingham and Polegate

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
Last night I got to the scene of a nasty collision just minutes after it happened, just by Wilmington. It closed the road for most of the night.
I see so many near misses on a day to day basis, not to mention crashes.
Overtaking is lethal on this stretch, with a many corners, and tall trees that shroud corners, so you just cannot see what is ahead.
Many agricultural vehicles slow down this road as well which gives impatient drivers more impetuous to overtake. There are also cyclists on this road, who have to be overtaken, on such a narrow road.

They really do need to review this stretch of road. Apparently it has more deaths than any other A road in the country. Time for dual carriageway?

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Or time for drivers to take responsibility for their actions, not risk other people's lives to save 5 seconds of their journey and drive to the conditions?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
its a poor excuse for an A road. they talked about an improvement, straightening at least if not a dual carriage way, in the 80's maybe a bit later. it will detract from the views from the downs though, so we cant have it.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
For an "A" road, that part is just horrendous.

After Lewes, the road just reverts back to single carriageway and, as you say, that's where most of the accidents occur. There's always a bottleneck coming out of Lewes after the tunnel as well because it goes into single lane traffic going eastwards.

It's about time that that whole stretch to Polegate was made dual carriageway, after all, it's mostly farmland either side except the Selmeston bit.

D

Deleted member 22389

Last night I got to the scene of a nasty collision just minutes after it happened, just by Wilmington. It closed the road for most of the night.
I see so many near misses on a day to day basis, not to mention crashes.
Overtaking is lethal on this stretch, with a many corners, and tall trees that shroud corners, so you just cannot see what is ahead.
Many agricultural vehicles slow down this road as well which gives impatient drivers more impetuous to overtake. There are also cyclists on this road, who have to be overtaken, on such a narrow road.

They really do need to review this stretch of road. Apparently it has more deaths than any other A road in the country. Time for dual carriageway?

It's a joke. Roads would be fine if it wasn't for some of these idiots on them these days. It only takes a second of not concentrating or driving like an idiot to ruin your life or someone elses.
Running my wife to work on Friday morning towards Falmer, some cock in his porsche decided to over take me, obvioulsy 40mph was not quick enough for him. I remained at the same speed and eventually caught up with by the lights at the Stadium. He obviously didn't like that, so as soon as we both turned on to the A27 towards Brighton he decided to undertake two cars using the inside lane then swerve in to the A27. Most idiotic driving I have seen in a long time. I wish the Police had seen it, I wish I was a police officer myself because I would have thrown the fing book at him. Don't need dick heads like that on the road. I see them everyday. In my car and my bicycle.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
Or time for drivers to take responsibility for their actions, not risk other people's lives to save 5 seconds of their journey and drive to the conditions?

No one can ever regulate that. However a dual carriage way, with crash barriers would surely prevent these head on collisions.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
No one can ever regulate that. However a dual carriage way, with crash barriers would surely prevent these head on collisions.

In an ideal world yes. However, in the meantime the Police need to be pulling over more drivers particularly for idiotic overtaking and tailgating.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It's not the road that's dangerous, it's the idiot drivers who think 70mph is a safe speed along there.

and what about the idiots that think continous 40-45 mph is "safe", including through Selmeston. all my journeys along there seem to be behind someone of this driving style.

D

Deleted member 22389

Your exactly right because that's all it is. About time I think we all started carrying cameras in our cars, like people do on their motorbikes and push bikes. I would have reported that driver because what he did was absolutely crazy. If he had lost control he probably would have toppled his car and taken someone else out in the process.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
There is not enough traffic to warrant a dual-carriageway past Lewes.

Of course there is. All the east bound traffic through to Eastbourne & Hastings goes mostly along that route. The A259 is even worse for heavy traffic so most of it goes along the A27.

I live in Polegate and if you think the volume of traffic at this end of the A27 doesn't have enough traffic to warrant a dual-carriageway, I suggest you stand on the traffic island at Polegate and see for yourself.

theboybilly

and what about the idiots that think continous 40-45 mph is "safe", including through Selmeston. all my journeys along there seem to be behind someone of this driving style.

So what do you consider a 'safe' speed through there? There's a junction on a blind bend there. How would a farm vehicle get out with tw@s whizzing around that bend at 60-65mph?
I take it you don't turn off along that road or have to join from one of the side turnings. The difference in time doing 65mph between Lewes and Polegate or 55mph would amount to.....seconds, that's all....seconds.

A novelty might be for drivers to read the speed limit signs (and even obey them). Sections of this bit of the A27 have a 60mph limit, others have 50mph, 40mph or 30mph.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
I use this road daily, and I would suggest there's easily enough traffic. Especially during rush hours.

Middle farm bend up to Charlston is another hotspot.

Can't say I've ever seen any police cars parked in the few lay-bys on this whole stretch? Or bikes, or any kind of police presence. It would be a deterrent.

The only presence stops just after the A26 junction down to Newhaven where police do lorry checks.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house

How many crashes are caused by people going too slowly? Maybe there's a very good reason for driving at that speed that you're unaware of (poor visibility, bad road conditions, vehicle limitations, vulnerable road users, etc).

theboybilly

Of course there is. All the east bound traffic through to Eastbourne & Hastings goes mostly along that route. The A259 is even worse for heavy traffic so most of it goes along the A27.

I live in Polegate and if you think the volume of traffic at this end of the A27 doesn't have enough traffic to warrant a dual-carriageway, I suggest you stand on the traffic island at Polegate and see for yourself.

Really? You have one 'pinch point' between Lewes and Polegate....Alfriston roundabout. Apart from 90 minutes in the morning and the same in the evening that road runs freely, freely enough that you can virtually guarantee your arrival time. But no, let's builds even more dual-carriageways. That'll work just like it always has....not.

As a daily (often more than twice a day) user of that section of the road, I would suggest that, as well as the overtaking hazards, the right-turning movements off the side roads and on to the main road present real risks.

Overtaking is avoidable, turning right on to the main road usually isn't. Relatively low-cost spending on road junction improvements has been done - piecemeal - over the past 20-odd years, but there are still plenty of dangerous sites where nothing has been done, despite local pressure for action.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here