Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Saturday Afternoon England Matches

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
Are England games on a Saturday afternoon a thing of the past? My son wants to go to an England match but there's no way he'd last through an 8pm kickoff. Any rhyme or reason for internationals (friendlies or otherwise) always being on during the evening?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Are England games on a Saturday afternoon a thing of the past? My son wants to go to an England match but there's no way he'd last through an 8pm kickoff. Any rhyme or reason for internationals (friendlies or otherwise) always being on during the evening?

Funny, I've been thinking of posting the same question for the same reason. My boy would love to see an England but he's going to have to wait quite a few years unless they move them back to Saturdays.

Having it on a Friday night is RUBBISH. OK if you go straight there or take the day off with your mates as you don't have to get up the next day but a Saturday game would attract a far wider audience and plug the middle of the football-less international weekends

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I've read somewhere that this was to do with pressure from the clubs. Playing internationals on Fridays and Tuesdays (rather than Saturdays and Wednesdays, as they were 3/4 years ago) means that players are returned to their clubs 24 hours earlier.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
The FA have no say in Qualifiers - they have to be Friday/Tuesday. Friendlies are I believe down to the individual FAs but this time round the English FA have gone for Friday/Tuesday.

Wales played on Saturday - early evening - 6pm but only got 11,809!

I agreed to take my Nephew to the Germany game but its going to be a late night for him (and for my Sister who is coming to pick him up from Three Bridges to take him back to Eastbourne)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here