Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Argus has gone too far this time

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
It's almost certainly just me, but I'm at once bemused, baffled and annoyed by the Argus's habit of not mentioning any specific people or places in its intros. Take today's front page, for example. Main story, first paragraph. "A university is set for a £500 million expansion ..." Why not say "The University of Sussex"?

Page 2: "Bosses at a mental health trust ..." Why not "the Sussex Partnership mental health trust"? Page 6: "A major overhaul of a town's main shopping street ..." No reason not to mention that it's Horsham, is there?

It goes on: "a Sussex village" (Hurtspierpoint), "a city" (Brighton & Hove), and on page 15 "a council" and "a college" in the same opening sentence.

And of course, on page 7: "A football president has joined an elite group of heroes to become a freeman of the city." Mad, isn't it? Especially when the headline (Hero Knight to be made freeman) rather gives the game away about who this mystery president is.

But that's not my objection. I can accept that the Argus in some strange way wants to keep us in suspense and pique our curiosity. Until we read the later paragraphs and discover the dreary reality, "a town" might prove to be somewhere exotic in Patagonia or Muanmar rather than Hailsham or Crawley. Fine by me if they want to begin the story of Albion's eventual ascension into the Premier League with "A professional sports club has won promotion to an elite soccer competition."

No, my problem with the Dick Knight intro is the maddening inconsistency.

Leave aside the fact that it should probably be "A football club president", why "THE city"? By their own insane, twisted logic it should surely be "A city".

It's too much. A newspaper has seriously annoyed a reader.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
But, the articles title is 'University of Sussex reveals £500m expansion plan'

Im guessing they think the readers would get the point from that?

Having said that, im not a fan of the rag.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Sometimes you have to read the whole article to find out the subject. Mind you the Sussex Express often miss that part out altogether.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
But, the articles title is 'University of Sussex reveals £500m expansion plan'

Im guessing they think the readers would get the point from that?

Having said that, im not a fan of the rag.

The headline in the paper as opposed to the website is "Uni reveals £500m plan". But it's even less logical online. If they've already told you which university, why be so coy about it in the intro?

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
It's almost certainly just me, but I'm at once bemused, baffled and annoyed by the Argus's habit of not mentioning any specific people or places in its intros. Take today's front page, for example. Main story, first paragraph. "A university is set for a £500 million expansion ..." Why not say "The University of Sussex"?

Page 2: "Bosses at a mental health trust ..." Why not "the Sussex Partnership mental health trust"? Page 6: "A major overhaul of a town's main shopping street ..." No reason not to mention that it's Horsham, is there?

It goes on: "a Sussex village" (Hurtspierpoint), "a city" (Brighton & Hove), and on page 15 "a council" and "a college" in the same opening sentence.

And of course, on page 7: "A football president has joined an elite group of heroes to become a freeman of the city." Mad, isn't it? Especially when the headline (Hero Knight to be made freeman) rather gives the game away about who this mystery president is.

But that's not my objection. I can accept that the Argus in some strange way wants to keep us in suspense and pique our curiosity. Until we read the later paragraphs and discover the dreary reality, "a town" might prove to be somewhere exotic in Patagonia or Muanmar rather than Hailsham or Crawley. Fine by me if they want to begin the story of Albion's eventual ascension into the Premier League with "A professional sports club has won promotion to an elite soccer competition."

It's deliberate. The theory is that if, you lead with the location in the opening par, you're giving people that aren't from that area an excuse to stop reading

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
It's deliberate. The theory is that if, you lead with the location in the opening par, you're giving people that aren't from that area an excuse to stop reading

With "a city", it's a 50-50 bet in Sussex ...

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
And of course, on page 7: "A football president, who lives in an £800,000 detached house, has joined an elite group of heroes to become a freeman of the city." Mad, isn't it? Especially when the headline (Hero Knight to be made freeman) rather gives the game away about who this mystery president is.

Updated for The Daily Mail.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

Leave aside the fact that it should probably be "A football club president", why "THE city"? By their own insane, twisted logic it should surely be "A city".

Trust me. From (very brief) experience of writing news for radio and print it is one the first tools you learn. It makes your life SO MUCH EASIER.

You and the reader/listener HATE repetition, so you find any way possible to get round it.

For example if I was writing something about Oscar Garcia I would start the first sentenece "Brighton manager Oscar garcia has...."

The second would say " The spaniard claims he......"

The 3rd "However the 40 year old, you took over from Gus Poyet has re-itterated...."

It's the same with starting an article.

You don't want to write "Sussex University is set for a £500m expansion" as you then have to start the new sentence with less flow.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
It's nearly as helpful tactic as the SHOCKING statement one which I used to enjoy using.

"All humans will die from horrendous disease and the world will explode, a homeless man stated in court today"

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Said a local reader, 52.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Trust me. From (very brief) experience of writing news for radio and print it is one the first tools you learn. It makes your life SO MUCH EASIER.

You and the reader/listener HATE repetition, so you find any way possible to get round it.

For example if I was writing something about Oscar Garcia I would start the first sentenece "Brighton manager Oscar garcia has...."

The 3rd "However the 40 year old, you took over from Gus Poyet has re-itterated...."

You don't want to write "Sussex University is set for a £500m expansion" as you then have to start the new sentence with less flow.

You'll probably find the OP has a lot of experience when it comes to writing.

In fact I have read very many entertaining articles by Not Andy Naylor.

Nick, it transpires, was writing for Gulls Eye when I was in Kickers and Lois Cords.

See what I did there?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

For example if I was writing something about Oscar Garcia I would start the first sentenece "Brighton manager Oscar garcia has
...."

Precisely my point. You wouldn't start by saying "A Catalan football manager ..." A news intro especially needs to get the "who, what, why, where" in asap.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Precisely my point. You wouldn't start by saying "A Catalan football manager ..." A news intro especially needs to get the "who, what, why, where" in asap.
He would you report the wonder goal and following celebration that you witnessed on Sunday morning?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
He would you report the wonder goal and following celebration that you witnessed on Sunday morning?

A report of that goal celebration has no place on a family site such as NSC. I had to have my eyes sent away to be fumigated after witnessing it.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Not using exact geography in a news story has long been the way.

What annoys me is the alarming number of grammatical mistakes and typos that make it into print at the Argus.

This morning an odd story about a horse crapping on a bridge (the new Shoreham one) initially stated that a horse had shat on a bride! The mistake was rectified but only after readers pointed out the blunder and went to town again on just how low standards and quality have dropped on the Anus - sorry Argus.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

Say GArcia had been sacked for throwing a squirrel at a player (worrying that was my first though), a news outlet (who are not known for albion reporting) would very likely say "A championship manager has been sacked...."

followed by "Brighton boss Oscar Garcia was dismissed after it was alleged" etc

I understand the frustration, especially on local news, but it is a really necessary technique in keeping attention as well as making an article flow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here