Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

**** 2013/14 Ashes series. The official thread ****

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
First test November 21st/25th Brisbane. Can only see this going one way with The Convicts just having enough:facepalm: to snatch a series win ?

JBenno

Jun 29, 2011
Upper Beeding
Really do think this is going to be alot tougher than people think. The Aussies showed signs over here of improvment, and I think their attack is capable of taking 20 wickets.

We are generally slow starters so would be inclined to say that they will win the first test odd around 15/8, although weather forecast for days 3/4 is sketchey so maybe a draw first out.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
We never win in Brisbane. NEVER.

I like what you've done there, CLEVER.

Anyway this isn't an official thread, it doesn't have a cricket ball symbol or asterisks.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
So people. Any series BETS?

After Graeme Swann did the business for me in the home series, I've got my TENNER riding on Sir JIMMY, as leading ENGLAND wicket taker this time round.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
ALL that matters in terms of my interest is whether Mitchell Johnson is playing or not. Is he?

Stumpy Tim

Should be a cracking series. Much will depend on whether England can get a third seamer bowling well, and whether Carberry steps up in the test arena. Should be much more exciting than the summer. Signs are good for England's key men though with Cook & Trott batting well, and Jimmy & Swann showing form with the ball.

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
The Aussies seem to be taking a very unusual path in terms of winding up our key players - criticising Cook's captaincy, calling KP arrogant. Surely these two key players it will only inspire them. And what was Clarke's episode about naming the England team all about? Smacks of desperation on their part I think. I don't think our top 3 will have as poor a time as they did this summer, the pitches are tailor made for players like Cook and Trott, bat time and see off the new ball. I prefer Root down at 6 and anything we get from Carberry will be a bonus. If he scores runs, we will score big time. The main worry is this 3rd seamer role. They seem intent on it being Tremlett but seeing him bowl in the warm up game he was bowling late 70's MPH which is well down on pace. If he can recover the form he showed in 2010 then I'll be happy. Finn would probably take more wickets but is more unreliable in terms of plans and keeping things tight in terms of run rate which England love to do. Should be a good series though, I'm tipping England to win 2-1 with Brisbane and Adelaide being draws.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patreon
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
I think that England will retain the Ashes - we are used to winning - The opposite to the Aussies. But the scoreline to be much closer than in the summer. The 3rd seamer point is very valid. My hunch is that Finn is our best bet. I can see Jonny Bairstow having a good series if he plays - he seems to have an excellent mentality for playing in Australia - I think Root will come good especially if he is back down to 6. We do need to see Trott revert back to the rock that he has so often been. I'm guessing that Cook will be fine - just an off-series in the summer.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here