Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

or

Last edited:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Having just listened to the St Etienne version for the first time, it is a travesty - and I quite like them, usually. It seems a totally inappropriate arrangement, or is that the point. Is it post-modern ironic - whatever that may mean?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Having just listened to the St Etienne version for the first time, it is a travesty - and I quite like them, usually. It seems a totally inappropriate arrangement, or is that the point. Is it post-modern ironic - whatever that may mean?

Post-modern ironic? Have a word with yourself. How can you 'like' Saint Etienne 'usually' and never heard their version of Only Love Can Break Your Heart? It's their biggest ever hit and is over 20 years old now. It's THE track that their know for.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Post-modern ironic? Have a word with yourself. How can you 'like' Saint Etienne 'usually' and never heard their version of Only Love Can Break Your Heart? It's their biggest ever hit and is over 20 years old now. It's THE track that their know for.

Yes. All of that.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Neil Young sounds like a dying goat.
St Etienne for me.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012

Post-modern ironic was just something I made up.

I said I have usually liked things I have heard by St Etienne. I was not claiming to be a student of their work or the biggest expert on their oeuvre. I have on occasion heard things by them on the radio and such like. Before clicking on that link, I was not aware that they had ever covered the song.

If that gives you a problem, I'm sorry, but I bet I know more about the works of Cream than you do.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Having just listened to the St Etienne version for the first time, it is a travesty - and I quite like them, usually. It seems a totally inappropriate arrangement, or is that the point.
This. For me, the Young version has a nice atmosphere the St Etienne version is sadly lacking.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Tune v song lost in supposedly clever arrangement. Neil Young every time.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
St Etienne all day long.

The Neil Young version sounds like someone who has happily drunk 6 pints of lager and is singing for his supper which happens to be a kebab.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Post-modern ironic was just something I made up.

I said I have usually liked things I have heard by St Etienne. I was not claiming to be a student of their work or the biggest expert on their oeuvre. I have on occasion heard things by them on the radio and such like. Before clicking on that link, I was not aware that they had ever covered the song.

If that gives you a problem, I'm sorry, but I bet I know more about the works of Cream than you do.

Fair play if you've managed to avoid listening to Only Love Can Break Your Heart although I do find it a little incredible that you could have never heard it - a bit like professing to like Cream but never hearing Crossroads. I guess it could happen. And I'm curious to know what Saint Etienne track you did hear because catchy synth pop is all they've ever done and their version of Only Love Can Break Your Heart is pure Saint Etienne. It's what they do so well. It's not like it's a huge departure from their usual sound.

Apologies for the 'their' mistake. Unforgiveable.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Fair play if you've managed to avoid listening to Only Love Can Break Your Heart although I do find it a little incredible that you could have never heard it - a bit like professing to like Cream but never hearing Crossroads. I guess it could happen. And I'm curious to know what Saint Etienne track you did hear because catchy synth pop is all they've ever done and their version of Only Love Can Break Your Heart is pure Saint Etienne. It's what they do so well. It's not like it's a huge departure from their usual sound.

Apologies for the 'their' mistake. Unforgiveable.

Most definitely this. :lolol:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here