Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

**** Top 100 albums of 2013 ****

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well, this seems to get earlier every year. But Resident Music have just published their top 100

Here is the link - http://www.resident-music.com/

If someone can convert this to a list and paste it then please do.

I have bought around 70 albums this year and I will be providing my top 10 shortly. I will keep it to 10, other wise it will tend towards being just a list of the albums I have bought. Personally this has been one of the best years for music in a long long time. Some cracking tunes, some blockbuster albums, the return of James Murphy and more gigs than I have managed in years. 2013 will be a vintage year.

Debate away.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Some excellent stuff in that Resident list, even though the number one doesn't really do it for me

Of the lesser known stuff I'd reccomend Jon Hopkins, Melt Yourself Down, Follakzoid, Forest Swords & Dirty Beaches from the top 25 . As per usual I didn't finish my 2012 list until about February, I'll post it when I get home so you can mock with the benefit of hindsight! Might try and keep it to 25 this year rather than 50, always seems like a good idea at the time and quickly becomes a chore.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Quick question - that Kurt Vile record that is #22. Is it just me that though it was a massive dissappointment compared to Smoke Ring for my Halo? I found it unfocused and tuneless, not in the same league.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Some absolute honkers in there too. Maybe they've got surplus stock . . . . (Suuns for example)?

I've never paid too much attention to the Residents lists, I do particularly like the individual staff's choices though.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
My list definitely wouldn't have Nick Cave anywhere near the top 10, his weakest album in years and a big step backwards in my opinion and I'm genuinely surprised that Jagwar Ma is so low down. As HT says - it's a bit unfair on the October/November/December releases to have your top 100 ready halfway through November too. Ah well, it's all subjective.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I've brought 6 in that top 100, but their lists are always quite subjective, and they have raised the odd eyebrow at some of the stuff I have purchased in their emporium.

Album of the year for me is Public Service Broadcasting.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I am sorry but I can't take a list that has Random Access Memories at number 99 very seriously.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I am sorry but I can't take a list that has Random Access Memories at number 99 very seriously.

You have to remember that Resident Records tend towards the folky and esoteric and their staff are serious music nerds (meant as a compliment) so something as disco-tastic as Daft Punk might not rate as highly because it doesn't push the same buttons as it does with you. Bearing in mind, they've won Independent Record Shop of the Year very recently (did they retain the title?) then their opinion shouldn't be dismissed out of hand - just remember where their preferences lie. It's a shame Rounder Records are no more because you can bet that Daft Punk would rank a lot higher in their list.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I own 2 of them and haven't heard of the majority of the rest.

I used to like the Rounder Records list, they tended to have a lot of albums to suit my taste.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
You have to remember that Resident Records tend towards the folky and esoteric and their staff are serious music nerds (meant as a compliment) so something as disco-tastic as Daft Punk might not rate as highly because it doesn't push the same buttons as it does with you. Bearing in mind, they've won Independent Record Shop of the Year very recently (did they retain the title?) then their opinion shouldn't be dismissed out of hand - just remember where their preferences lie. It's a shame Rounder Records are no more because you can bet that Daft Punk would rank a lot higher in their list.

I'd factor something else in as well. No matter how good or otherwise you think RAM is, no one thinks it's the best thing they've done and as such can't help but be a slight disappointment. IMHO anyway.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I'd factor something else in as well. No matter how good or otherwise you think RAM is, no one thinks it's the best thing they've done and as such can't help but be a slight disappointment. IMHO anyway.

It's a weird one for me, when I bought it I played it a couple of times and didn't think much of it. A few weeks later I started listening to it again and now I can't get enough of it.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

Good point - I'd also add that when certain tracks get played to absolute death then that's bound to cloud the judgement too.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
It's a typical resident list to be honest. I would say that most of it I would agree with although there are some omissions and some stuff that really should not be there. How Sea Sick Steve made it in and British Sea Power did not is beyond me. I would vote with my feet on this very fact but the existence of these independent record stores is vital plus its a great shop plus I am in there most weekends.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I love these lists: I just looked at the 100 and there are only 23 acts that I've even heard of and only a handful that I've actually listened to.

What shook me most was that I actually have two of the albums - I certainly wasn't expecting that

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
It's a typical resident list to be honest. I would say that most of it I would agree with although there are some omissions and some stuff that really should not be there. How Sea Sick Steve made it in and British Sea Power did not is beyond me. I would vote with my feet on this very fact but the existence of these independent record stores is vital plus its a great shop plus I am in there most weekends.

You really stuck it to them there!

(With you on BSP though)

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
For me RAM is by far the best work Daft Punk has ever done. Only Discovery comes a distant second.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
And whilst we are at it, where the f*ck is the James Arthur album ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here