Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Removal companies

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Before I talk to removal companies to repatriate my belongings back to Sussex, any pointers on what I should look out for, and what's a reasonable amount to pay etc?

Does it cost much more to have the removal company do all the packing and stuff too?

I was going to get one at this end, if only because getting one from the Sussex end seems troublesome in terms of meeting them and getting a quote in advance etc. Presumably that's what people usually do.

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
Bozza
Only deal with companies that will come out and see you, don’t deal with anyone who will give you an estimate over the phone, theres always the unexpected extras or the lorry's not big enough etc.
I had nothing but trouble with some companies bombarding me with phone calls where I had only slightly expressed an interest.
Find a local small firm who appear to give a shite and actually go with your gut feeling about the person who comes out to see you.
Good luck mate!

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Are you moving back Squire ? Shall we re-form the Portslade muppets ?

What area are you moving back to ?

Yes - get them from that end. Packing ? we have done both - and it is easier to get them to pack - but it is strange to see them carefully packing stuff that is of no real value.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Do not use Bishops Move!

They shipped our contents to Malta

I lost an Albion shirt, an England shirt and a TV. (Funny how the remote for that went missing but the remotes for all the other items arrived.) Took months of threats to get compensated.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Make lots of trips to the tip and be ruthless. Junk is still junk wherever you put it.

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
Bozza
Only deal with companies that will come out and see you, don’t deal with anyone who will give you an estimate over the phone, theres always the unexpected extras or the lorry's not big enough etc.
I had nothing but trouble with some companies bombarding me with phone calls where I had only slightly expressed an interest.
Find a local small firm who appear to give a shite and actually go with your gut feeling about the person who comes out to see you.
Good luck mate!

Yes, by quote I mean from an estimator who will actually visit your house and talk through any concerns / details, it really is worth giving up a couple of hours of your time for this and saving a lot of stress on the day. Small firm not necessarily best or cheapest and this time of year larger firms should be very competitive (to keep workforce on through winter months). Firm like GB Liners would also have additional staff available at load / unload if running into delays / problems. Packing not usually a great deal more and can be negotiated with quote, if professionally packed loading often much more straightforward

RupertsFlan

Nov 28, 2012
Don't run the removal man over on your front drive while reversing the car out the way.

It creates friction and an unwillingness to complete the move.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It would be less 'exciting', if:

a) I had a job.
b) I knew where we were moving to.

A different sort of 'exciting' - like throwing yourself off a bridge on a bungee rope

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Before I talk to removal companies to repatriate my belongings back to Sussex, any pointers on what I should look out for, and what's a reasonable amount to pay etc?

Does it cost much more to have the removal company do all the packing and stuff too?

I was going to get one at this end, if only because getting one from the Sussex end seems troublesome in terms of meeting them and getting a quote in advance etc. Presumably that's what people usually do.

1 Getting quotations - http://www.reallymoving.com/ Will prompt you for as much or as little knowledge as you have and then give you multiple quotes. I went through this and ended up using http://www.beemovedremovals.com/, who were excellent. The initial website quotation was £600 actual cost was £446. Please bear in mind this was 2 years ago, we packed ourselves and the distance was less than one mile.

2 Packing Materials - If you can, pack it yourselves. It saves money, but more importantly it saves time unpacking. We stuck sticky room labels on everything, so that boxes ended up in the right rooms and 2 days later we were left with maybe half a dozen boxes still packed. http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Search/searchTerms/HOUSE+MOVING+BOXES.htm plus some bubble wrap and tape, should get you going. Some removals companies will supply these, but getting your own, means you can start packing as soon as possible. The wardrobe boxes are highly recommended.

3 Be ruthless, chuck out all your crap, before you move.

4 Repeat step 3

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I always found when we moved the least stressful way was to have something urgent come up at work, keep out the house a lot, and then buy Mrs Wz bubbly flowers and chocs on way to new house first evening. Job's a good 'un :thumbsup:

*edit* Probably better to buy the bubbly, chocs and flowers for Mrs Bozza

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
GB Liners in Bristol and Brighton, make sure you get quote from 2/3 companies and negotiate them against each other

I'll second GB Liners - they were fantastic when I used them.

As for paying them to pack - hell yes. Previously I'd done the packing and it takes ages - they're like a plague of locusts. Turn your back for a few minutes and a room is empty.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I'll second GB Liners - they were fantastic when I used them.

As for paying them to pack - hell yes. Previously I'd done the packing and it takes ages - they're like a plague of locusts. Turn your back for a few minutes and a room is empty.

I second this. My housemate moved abroad and paid a company to pack stuff for him. I oversaw it as he had already left. They were also like a plague of locusts. They looked distraught when I first showed them the room, but they went to work like troopers.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Definitely get them to pack - saves no end of trouble.

One question to ask is what their insurance level is - I had one firm tell us that they only had enough to insure themselves and that everything else would have to be covered by us/our household insurance. Needless to say we didn't go with them!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here