Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] 10 years of Cover versions that absolutely SPANK the originals .......... over to you

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm a Neil Young fan too but that Saint Etienne version is sublime. It could possibly be my favourite track from (possibly) my favourite album ever. The Andrew Weatherall remix of the Saint Etienne version sends me into raptures.

I'm very much with you on this. A beautiful track by a fantastic band.

This cover version lark is a double edged sword though.

By chance I was listening to the SE 'Too Young to Die' singles collection yesterday, almost immediately after listening to The Field Mice's 'Snowball' album, and the SE version of the latter's 'Let's Kiss and Make Up' is dreadful by comparison.

Last edited:

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Classical gas played by Clapton. Destroys the original version by Mason Williams.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Forget this one. Slightly different as this is a modern take of a favourite from my youth... I love it

[yt]UKfwSFI8LhQ[/yt]

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
When You Say Nothing At All - Alison Krauss and Union Station (originally by Kevin Macdonald)

No it wasn't.

It was originally performed by Keith Whitley, whose version is FAR superior to AKUS's.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Another few i can't believe i forgot:

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
No it wasn't.

It was originally performed by Keith Whitley, whose version is FAR superior to AKUS's.

Absolutely right. I have no idea where kevin macdonald came from. Keith Whitley was the inspiration for the fantastic 'Go Rest High on That Mountain' by Vince Gill.

But I still prefer Alison Krauss's version of WYSNAA

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

The Clash are my favourite band and I love Police & Thieves, but they do not SPANK the original, the Junior Murvin original is awesome and for me I could not say which track is the best.
I think most Clash Fans would laugh in your face if you said their version spanked the original.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here