Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Derek Chapman has a swipe at DK

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1081...hapman_has_his_say_on_Dick_Knight_s_new_book/

Extracts from Dick Knight's new book dominated the front and back pages last week. One of those with a keen interest in the new release is Albion director Derek Chapman. In an exclusive piece for The Argus, he responds to last week’s revelations.
I have been in Qatar working during the past week so I have been following The Argus’ serialisation of Dick’s book with interest from afar.
I have also read Ray Bloom’s response to Dick’s account of certain Albion events in last Friday’s newspaper.
I have been involved with the club as a fan since 1968 and as a director since 1999.Wereceived wonderful, and at times critical, financial support from a number of sources but, for many of those past 14 years, I was one of only three directors – Ray and Dick being the other two – who consistently put money into the club. As such, like Ray, I think I’m well placed to make a few observations on the book’s content.
I’ve never actually worked out exactly how much money I have put into the club over the years (note I never use theword invest). Itmust be over £1.5 million but only a proportion of this shows up as shares.
A lot of the money I put in was used to help pay wages every now and again or as sponsorship monies to support the club when it most needed some commercial income.

In addition, the construction company I owned at the time, Adenstar, carried out most of the work at Withdean at cost, or at a very small profit, and (likemany other Albion suppliers at the time) we often had to wait several months to be paid.
Frankly, I have never needed the comfort or security of owning more shares in the football club. The club had nomoney or assets for the majority of the time so shares were worthless anyway.
Also, I have never wanted any of my money back at any point. I put the money in to help the club I love survive – and I never expect to see the money again. In any case, I believe that football club directors are just custodians of the club. It’s our job to look after the club and eventually to pass it on to the next generation.
I’m aware of course that some people believe that I made money out of the building of theAmex – so it’s time to dispel another myth!
Martin took care of planning, design (except when we were trying to reduce costs or make it more buildable when I got more involved), and relationships with the key stakeholders.
I helped with the tender and choosing the contractor.
I was then responsible for managing the contractor on behalf of the club to ensure that the stadium was delivered on time, on budget, and to a high quality.
I am fulfilling the same role at our newtraining ground. To be clear: I have never asked to be paid, and neither have I received or made any money, for carrying out these duties. In fact, when I helped out as interim CEO of the club for three months in 2012 leading up to the time Paul Barber joined us, I did not ask for or receive any payment for this role either, although the direct o r s b o u g h t me a l ove l y watch as a thank y o u gift for the work I had done.
During the period 1999 to 2008 we had some farcical board meetings, which occasionally would last for up to eight hours.
We would discuss the team for half an hour and we would talk about how we would pay our debts and wages for seven hours. For the last half hour of the meeting,wewould then discuss our dreamof building a £50-£75 million stadium for the Albion.
Ray and I would often discuss the idea again on the way to and from away games. We were worried that if we ever got planning permission our problems would really begin. I can assure you t h a t banks i n the UK had lost their appetite to fund newfootball grounds outside of the the Premier League long before 2007-2008.
Dick, Ray, and I are relatively well off but funding a project of such a size was well out of our league.
I often sharedmyfears about the project with Ray and (another fellow Albion director) Robert Comer.
My nightmare scenario was that we would win planning consent and not be able to start work on the build. And I didn’t think the fans’ patience would last very long if that had happened.
Alternatively, the fanswould soon start calling for our heads – or worse! – if we somehow started the build only to run out of money with the stadium only a quarter completed and the club owing a lot of money.
During this time, as we considered all options to fund the stadium, I actually said to Dick that if a rich and well-intentioned investorcamealong and said that he would pay off our debts and fund the stadium in return for all of our shares for free, then it would be a great result. However, I was very surprised when Dick replied that he would still want his money back as well. I would have just been pleased enough to see the club survive and the stadium built.
So, by 2005 the club was well and truly broke. And we had absolutely no chance of being able to build the stadium even if we got planning.
The money just wasn't there.
Then, along came Tony – what a result! Someone to help the club with the money it desperately needed and someone who, on top of everything,was a true Brighton fan.
I had known Tony and his brother, Darren, since I became a director of the club in 1999.
I knew Tony was a lifelong Albion supporter, and I also knew Tony’s family’s history with the club went back a very long way.
However, I didn’t know that Tony had the sort of money that we would ultim a t e l y require a n d t h a t would change the club’s entire history. Somebody was certainly smiling on Brighton.
Suddenly, we had a charmed life. But what I couldn’t understand was that Tony was putting in substantial sums of money and yet he wasn’t even a director of the club. What’s more he had left Dick as the club’s chairman and Dick carried on making decisions like he still owned the club, some of which were made without even c o n - sulting Tony.
This situation carried on until 2009. We were managed by Micky Adams and then Russell Slade. We had a disastrous season. And we nearly went down. This despite Tony providing substantial funds for new players.
By this time Tony had put so much money into the club it dwarfed all other contributions, including those made by Dick.
At this stage, the only sensible solution open to the board was to make Tony the club’s chairman. After all he owned 90% of the club so any decision the board made could only really happen if Tony sanctioned it.
As part of the change, Dick was to become life president.
Dick would still enjoy boardroom hospitality, would continue to watch games from the directors’ box with his family, and he would still be invited to all club events.
B u t w h a t amazed me was that Dick also asked for money. I was even more amazed when, very generously, Tony paid Dick for shares that were essentially worthless.
Anyway,mytake on all this is that when people say that Dick saved the club in 1997 and Tony built the stadium, they are wrong. Dick saved the club in 1997, Tony saved the club in 2005 – and then Tony built the stadium!
The way Dick and Tony operate is very different. When Dick ran the club, he made all the decisions. To be honest, I don’t know if he took any notice of the other directors – probably not!
We were always so strapped for cash, it was always about survival anyway. And we had very little choice as the decisionswedid takeweremadeout of necessity.
However, I did admire the way Dick was never beaten – not by Archer, not by Lewes Council, and not by anyone else that stood in his way at that time. Dick always kept going.
Tony’s style is very different.
At board meetings – and despite owning the club outright – he will always listen to others and, if the consensus is different to his own personal view or his wishes, he will usually go with the majority.
He also uses the experience, knowledge, and the talent around him on the board and, where appropriate, across the wider club to reach the best possible decisions. It’s a fully democratic process and it’s not one man making all the decisions.
I’m really not sure what to make of Dick’s proposal to sell his shares to fans. The board has its fair share of fans already: Tony Bloom, Ray Bloom, Robert Comer and I are lifetime fans! Martin Perry and Marc Sugarmanwere both born and raised in the city and have always been Albion fans too.
During Dick’s time as chairmanthe board looked at a share issue for the fans, but all of us – Dick included – concluded that it would involve too much cost to the club. We needed big investors, not thousands of small investors at £1 a time.
Dick will know that his new proposal has the potential to cost the club a fair amount of money to administer and he’ll also be aware that fans taking up the offer will end up owning a very small proportion of the club’s shares giving them no more of a say in the running of the club than they already have through the club’s various existing communication channels.
But if it's something Dick really wants to do, and it’s not just a stunt to help sell his book, I would obviously expect him to follow the correct process.
Andperhaps Dickmight also like to donate any money he raises from the share sale to Albion in the Community, the club’s charity he helped to build.
We all know what Dick has been doing in the past few weeks. He is one of life’s great salesmen.Andnowhe is trying to sell his book.
But it’s important to set the record straight on some of the things I’ve read and heard this past weekend: the club was not allowed to see the book in advance; neither the club nor its other shareholders were aware of Dick’s plan to sell his shares before last Wednesday’s Argus article; the club was not asked to stage a launch for the book at the Amex; and the club has never been contacted about stocking Dick’s book in its stores.
But, then again, maybe we should not allow such facts to get in the way of another good story!
And, in any case, I suppose allowingwhat might look like a little spat with the club to go unchecked, while it further increases media and public interest in the book, certainly doesn’t hurt sales either!
Anyway, I do wish Dick good luck with his book. Like most lifelong Albion fans, I’m sure I will buy a copy!

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
"Dick would still enjoy boardroom hospitality, would continue to watch games from the directors’ box with his family, and he would still be invited to all club events.

"But what amazed me was that Dick also asked for money."

Why shouldn't Dick Knight expect some of his £2million back?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
His main beef appears to be that Dick wanted some money back, and that he feels Dick doesn't credit Tony enough.

Apart from that, he appears to be clarifying certain events.

Having read the book, Dick doesn't criticise Derek Chapman - and certainly doesn't accuse him of cashing in on Albion-related projects.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
"Dick would still enjoy boardroom hospitality, would continue to watch games from the directors’ box with his family, and he would still be invited to all club events.

Because Derek Chapman never wanted his investment back, it's his personal view.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

Yeah, can't say it's that surprising.

Then again, did anyone else aske for/get money back? Norman Cook, for example?

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I think this is all beginning to sound a little sad. Dick has a book to sell. Its gonna try and be controversial - thats what sells books. Look at Fergies account of keane and Beckham.

Obviously there are bits that Chapman, Bloom etc will disgaree on. But its probably best if asked about the book (by the Argus) that they simply say something along the lines " typical Dick. Got a book to sell hasnt he".

Derek Chapman has simply opened this up for another week.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Clarifies a lot of things, especially about the book not being stocked at the Amex as they havent actually asked for it to be stocked there !!

Dick seems to be going out of his way to avoid the club completely. I do agree that both Dick and TB saved the club.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
His view that Dick saved the club in the 90s and that Tony saved it again fits with my view, pretty much. Certainly 'saved' it as a club with any prospect of competing in the top two divisions. Dick Knight's belief that the banks would have stepped in after the credit crunch is massively optimistic at best in my opinion. And his autocratic approach probably wouldn't have been the best way forward long term, in any case. He did a fantastic job up to a point but it was time to move the club forward.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Maybe Derek's surprise stems from the viewpoint that all the directors at the time were propping up a struggling business with no other intention than to keep the club alive. Derek stresses that he never saw the money he put in as an "investment" and presumably he assumed that the other directors, including Dick, felt the same - in other words, they'd never see their money again.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Maybe some directors could afford to write off their cash more than Dick Knight could. I don't see how Knight can be criticised for wanting some of the £2million he put in from his own pocket back. Maybe he should have been happy with being allowed in the directors' box on match days and being invited to club events...

His main beef appears to be that Dick wanted some money back, and that he feels Dick doesn't credit Tony enough.

From reading that article (I haven't read DK's book yet) - Chapman suggests that there really wasn't anything worth paying for. Without Tony's cash the club was stuffed anyway, and the assets held amounted to little more than a crap League 1 squad and planning permission for a stadium. Effectively the going rate for the shares was zero (at least in Chapman's eyes).

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Derek Chapman is a very important part of our recent history, as mentioned above. Interesting comments from him.

Re: why wouldn't Dick Knight want his money back (?!) - then if essentially we were bankrupt without Tony Bloom, why should he get anything? The club was seemingly worthless (more so than anyone believed) and apparently on the verge of going out of business, and no money to build a training ground.

If NONE of the other directors & investors got money back, why should he ? I assume Dick was paying himself a salary at the time too.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
In the book Dick Knight makes it clear it wasn't just about getting HIS cash back. He was keen to make sure a lot of the investors who perhaps could not really afford to just write the cash off but had helped prop up the Albion when they needed it were looked after.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
There doesn't appear to be in anything in DC's statement that contradicts anything DK wrote in the book? ???

What I don't understand is the last bit

". . . the club was not allowed to see the book in advance; neither the club nor its other shareholders were aware of Dick’s plan to sell his shares before last Wednesday’s Argus article; the club was not asked to stage a launch for the book at the Amex; and the club has never been contacted about stocking Dick’s book in its stores. "

If no request was made for the club's help to sell the book then it's hardly surprising they weren't offered, (why the word "allowed"), a preview of the book.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

If the club was worth money, then all those that had invested should have expected some back. But the club wasn't worth anything - the shares were worthless, and the owners (most of them) were happy to let them go for free to someone that was going to invest crazy amounts of money into the club. Most who put money into the club, were making gifts - they were not expecting it back. To ask for it back, when in no real position to do so, is a bit surprising.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
In the book Dick Knight makes it clear it wasn't just about getting HIS cash back. He was keen to make sure a lot of the investors who perhaps could not really afford to just write the cash off but had helped prop up the Albion when they needed it were looked after.

So, generous Tony was there to reimburse everyone in full for the money they'd put into the club, much of which they never expected any return on?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I don't think the thread title is fair.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
From reading that article (I haven't read DK's book yet) - Chapman suggests that there really wasn't anything worth paying for. Without Tony's cash the club was stuffed anyway, and the assets held amounted to little more than a crap League 1 squad and planning permission for a stadium.
Actually, a crap League 1 squad with no planning permission - I believe it was Tony's money that helped fund our fight for planning permission.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here