Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Motorway closed for 24hrs due to man on bridge. Who makes these decisions?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
"The M42 in Worcestershire has been reopened after a 24-hour closure and the Highways Agency said traffic was now "flowing freely".

Police said a man who had been making threats to harm himself, while standing on a bridge at Catshill, was safe.

The motorway had been closed since Saturday lunchtime while the man remained on the bridge"

Imagine the chaos caused. How many people had their weekends ruined.

If the guy wanted to jump, let him effing jump. He gets what he wants, the motorway reopens, and people who want to get on with their lives can do so.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
"The M42 in Worcestershire has been reopened after a 24-hour closure and the Highways Agency said traffic was now "flowing freely".

Police said a man who had been making threats to harm himself, while standing on a bridge at Catshill, was safe.

The motorway had been closed since Saturday lunchtime while the man remained on the bridge"

If the guy wanted to jump, let him effing jump. He gets what he wants, the motorway reopens, and people who want to get on with their lives can do so.

And if he'd jumped and landed on a car causing an accident and killed more people then you'd feel the same? ???

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Can you imagine what was going through this mans mind ? Can you ?

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Can you imagine what was going through this mans mind ? Can you ?

Obviously nothing to do with the inconvenience he was causing 1000's of innocent people going about there weekend which was destroyed by his selfishness.He certainly was not thinking about them

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Obviously nothing to do with the inconvenience he was causing 1000's of innocent people going about there weekend which was destroyed by his selfishness.He certainly was not thinking about them

Of course he wasn't thinking about them, he was out of his mind.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

:facepalm:

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove

I think that was the last thing on his mind. Since he didn't want to exist any more.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Why not just stick a big inflatable underneath the bridge until you've got him down one way or another?

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Why not just stick a big inflatable underneath the bridge until you've got him down one way or another?

They do exist and it gives out a massive "You arent going to be killing yourself today" message and would make them give up, as if they were to move to the other side of the bridge - the police would haul him to the ground.

Oh, and it was closed due to the danger to the public. I dont know, but i dont fancy having someone jump to their death land on my car, killing them and probably injuring me or others in the process.

Now the guy has been detained under the Mental Heath Act, he can now get the help he clearly needs with no casualties.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
You would have thought so. Mattress on the ground, give him a shove, job done.

Exactly. I rekon I could do it by myself in less than 24 hours using only a mobile phone and a yellow pages:

Hire a van
Hire as many bouncy catsles as you can find
Set them up under the bridge
If he still doesn't come up, go and push him down.

Piece of piss :thumbsup:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Our neighbours were stuck on the motorway for nearly 8 hours sitting within watching distance of the incident.
Their comments are unprintable but still full of praise for the police

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I think that was the last thing on his mind. Since he didn't want to exist any more.

Serious question. Has anyone actually killed themselves this way in this kind of incident? I can't remember one which hasn't resolved in the person leaving the scene peacefully. It strikes me, if that is the case, that the person in question wishes to attract attention rather than kill themselves.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

**** me. Such sympathy for those with mental illness. Something you clearly haven't experienced.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here