Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton 2 Wolves 3 league cup

Sloughseagull

Apr 23, 2013
Slough
Need some help please. I remember standing in the north stand either late 70's or early 80's and watching Mark Lawrenson running the length of the pitch and scoring a brilliant solo goal, does anybody have a link to a clip please, I think it was the same season we beat Man City 4-1 and he scored something similar but mayb wrong. Any help would be great.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I think this was an FA Cup tie, which we lost 2-3 to Wolves and not to be confused with another cracking 2-3 to Wolves in the late 60's.

Lawro's goal was special, breaking up an attack on our 18yrd line and just striding forward. All ptions were covered so he just carried on until in shooting distance, then scored. I reckon this was the season before we got promoted because webeat Wolves on a regular basis after that.

As for the goal against Man City, I reckon that's Gerry Ryan, in similar fashion, just ran & ran and defenders backed off.

Jul 7, 2003
Don't think you'll find a link as I don't think it was on the telly. IIRC it was a Tuesday night as the original fixture was postponed due to snow.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
The game you are referring to was in 1978/79, a season before we did the league double over Wolves.

Sadly, the game was not televised. What I do have is a clip of Lawrenson making a surging run from his own half against Aston Villa in 1980/81 and almost scoring.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
The solo run vs Aston Villa:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think this was an FA Cup tie, which we lost 2-3 to Wolves and not to be confused with another cracking 2-3 to Wolves in the late 60's.

Lawro's goal was special, breaking up an attack on our 18yrd line and just striding forward. All ptions were covered so he just carried on until in shooting distance, then scored. I reckon this was the season before we got promoted because webeat Wolves on a regular basis after that.

As for the goal against Man City, I reckon that's Gerry Ryan, in similar fashion, just ran & ran and defenders backed off.

All correct - can still vividly remember Lawro's goal. Steve Daley and Paul Bradshaw were outstanding for WOlves on the night.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

That Villa game was remarkable. Villa won the title that season and we only avoided relegation by winning our final four games - yet despite the final score of 1-0, we played them off the park and should have won far more convincingly than we did. It was one of the few days that the Ritchie-Robinson partnership really clicked.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
The Wolves game was one of the best I've ever seen. As for Lawro's goal it's a crying shame it wasn't televised.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
So this Lawrenson goal against Wolves, would it have been like his run against Villa except instead of shooting over, he skipped past the last defender, dribbled around the keeper and rolled it into an empty net?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

remember that league cup tie well..the Doog scoring for Wolves

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
3rd round FA Cup, Jan 79, Tues night - originally postponed due to snow.

One of the most thrilling games I've seen - end to end attacking by both sides. Wolves were a division above us, in the top flight, and had some great players; we were pushing for promotion from division two.

Lawro's goal is definitely one of the best I've seen scored by an Albion player. But I also remember the last 15 mins or so, when we completely battered them searching for the equaliser. Seem to recall their keeper (Paul Bradshaw?) pulling off some incredible saves.

Possibly the only time I've left a match not really caring that we'd lost because it had been such an fantastic game.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
So this Lawrenson goal against Wolves, would it have been like his run against Villa except instead of shooting over, he skipped past the last defender, dribbled around the keeper and rolled it into an empty net?

Not quite - he won the ball on the edge of our penalty area, ran the lenghth of the pitch beating several Wolves players, and then shot from outside their area.

Not quite - he won the ball on the edge of our penalty area, ran the lenghth of the pitch beating several Wolves players, and then shot from outside their area.

Indeed I was there and somewhat bizarrely it was the only game I ever attended in a suit. Didn't have time to go home and change so was in the North Stand dressed in my whistle and flute but boy - what a great goal it was - something I will never forget.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes

Isn't the commentator our very own Des Lynam?

That was one cracking win against Villa and helped turn our season around. I've just looked up our record that December:

6th beat Sunderland 2-1 at home
13th lost 3-4 at Everton
20th beat Villa 1-0
26th won 1-0 at Leicester
27th beat Palace 3-2 at home

We then went to Old Trafford on 3rd Jan in the Cup and led 2-0 at HT, only to be held 2-2 and lose the reply 2-0 4 days later.

Entertaining time to be an Albion fan!

PG

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Isn't the commentator our very own Des Lynam?

That was one cracking win against Villa and helped turn our season around. I've just looked up our record that December:

6th beat Sunderland 2-1 at home
13th lost 3-4 at Everton
20th beat Villa 1-0
26th won 1-0 at Leicester
27th beat Palace 3-2 at home

We then went to Old Trafford on 3rd Jan in the Cup and led 2-0 at HT, only to be held 2-2 and lose the reply 2-0 4 days later.

Entertaining time to be an Albion fan!

PG

Certainly was Des.

I just realised, video footage from five of those seven games still exists. :)

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Remember the game, and the goal! Was it FA Cup or League Cup?

Not the best cup goal scored by an Albion player though, surely that crown belongs to Garry Nelson v Brentford?

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I saw all those December games.

The Wolves run was very much like the Villa run, except he scored.

The Cambridge defeat was the 1st home game of the season

And I don't believe Derek 'The Doog' dougan played in that LC game. He was their star player, the sort mere div 3 fans, like us really want to see and there was a crowd of around 34,000. Hugh Curran scored a couple for Wolves.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here