Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Speed cameras

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Where was the camera,? You've not said

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Flashed me from behind, if a fine and points come, it' comes. Mistake on my part that I can't argue

wigangull

Jul 19, 2013
Wigan Lancs
If you get offered the speeding awareness course i'm afraid that will still cost you about £80,but the big advantage is of course, no points.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Have you tried sticking to the 20mph limit from Preston Park to The Old Steyne and not holding up other traffic? Incidentally I got my driving licence in 1961 and have had 2 speeding convicitions in that time both with mobile cameras.

You don't have to stick to 20mph, you just can't go over it. Hold up other traffic? You all (should be) going at around the same speed. The truth is you've been driving so long you occasionally get a little complacent. Why can't people just admit to that rather than coming up with silly lines like "sticking to a speed limit is really hard, you guys!"

Really (going off on a slight tangent here, this isn't directed at you BG), some of the excuses for speeding are laughable. Maintaining a speed making sure you don't go over a designated limit is surely a basic driving skill? I've heard people on phone-in radio shows discussing speeding with some saying "I'm going down hill, of course I'm going to speed". Cars have breaks.

If someone can't control their car they should hand their licence in.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Ah sorry.....up in Manchester just outside old Trafford on Chester road, been Xmas shopping in Manchester
Ok, well I don't know about cameras outside sussex, you may be ok.
Think its 24 days to get the letter, if you don't get one by then, you're ok and it's just one with no film in it

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
ask the people 20 questions on the accuracy calibration test results of the camera - usually works.

or say your cousin from argentina was driving and make up a name.

or do what most do - get all scared and pay the idiots.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The conviction will remain on your licence for 4 years, and due to the associated fine would need to be declared to insurers for 5 years. The insurance industry will in 2015 be moving to a system where you will be asked to provide your driving licence number and they will carry out a check with the DVLA records to ensure that they know about all motoring convictions.

While different insurers vary on loadings most will apply something for the at least 3 years.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Had one fine ever whilst in a dash to meet a mate at 1pm for a Sunday lunch pub event. Was bang on time whilst he turned up 50 minutes later...took him 1 second to say sorry, my insurance was higher for 4 years

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have just returned home after dropping brother in law at The Steyne for the 700 bus and religiously stuck to 20mph where it started at Preston Circus and it was very difficult to stay within the limit driving down past The Level and towards the pier past St Peters church

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
How do you people get driving licences?![/QUOTE

Have you tried sticking to the 20mph limit from Preston Park to The Old Steyne and not holding up other traffic? Incidentally I got my driving licence in 1961 and have had 2 speeding convicitions in that time both with mobile cameras.
If you don't have the skill to drive within the speed limit you should not be driving.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
ask the people 20 questions on the accuracy calibration test results of the camera - usually works.

To do this you will need to plead not guilty and go to trial. If (or more likely when) you are found guilty you'll face costs in the region of £400 as well as an income based fine.

or say your cousin from argentina was driving and make up a name.

Ever heard of Vicki Price or Chris Huhne ?

or do what most do - get all scared and pay the idiots.

Most people pay because they are guilty.

As usual your advise is pure buffoonery

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
If you are unfortunate enough to get points, DO let your insurance company know otherwise you might invalidate your insurance policy. A lady in my office did this last year by mistake - she took the points and paid the fine but forgot to let her insurance know. A month later she wrote her car off on a wet road and the insurance refused to pay out a penny as it subsequently came to light about her speeding offence and this invalidated her insurance as in the small print it did say any motoring offence must be notified to her insurers within 14 days (cost to her was a loss of £5k..ouch). Don't make her mistake !

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
You might get lucky - if it is an old camera it may have run out of film. They use a particular type which is increasingly difficult to buy because of the prevalence of digital cameras.

If it is a digital camera,you are looking at the fine and points, and a small increase on your insurance - you need to report it in case you invalidate your policy. Speed awareness courses are usually offered only to those within a small range of excess speed - ie less than than 40mph on a 30 mph limit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here