Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ward would be happy to stay

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would think that wages may be a slight problem especially if Wolves get promoted but there are other things to consider like the remaining length of his contract ,and any subsequent fee, where he figures in Jacketts plans etc

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
As long as his wages aren't massive and they don't want a massive fee I'd take him. I presume we are paying his wages in full at the minute. How long's his Wolves contract got to run?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I thought that I read that they wanted to off load their high earners when, they got relegated and he was one of those something like £25k per week but I could be wrong, so dont hold me to that figure.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm not that fussed. He is an acceptable left back at this level, and if Oscar decides he trusts him and wants to keep him, then that's fair enough. But he's no better than Kerry Mayo in his prime, for me. Solid enough defensively, not too fussed about bombing on but will get forward at times, no pace but appears to make up for it with a strong work ethic. Appears to get his head down and get on with the job at hand, which isn't a negative thing in the slightest!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
He is by far the best option that we have and has despite what you say been arguably our most consistent defender this season and far better than Kerry Mayo, who was good in DIV 1, ever was .

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I would prefer to play Vitalijs Maksimenko. The boy has something, and will go on to be a quality player. You don't play for the Latvian National team unless you're a bit handy. Like the ROI team. Certainly, neither of them are in those teams because they're left footed and have adopted playing left back.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Been one of our best player this season, consistency wise.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would prefer to play Vitalijs Maksimenko. The boy has something, and will go on to be a quality player. You don't play for the Latvian National team unless you're a bit handy. Like the ROI team. Certainly, neither of them are in those teams because they're left footed and have adopted playing left back.

I think that Maksimenko is the 2nd best option but to be honest any FL player would be good enough to play for Latvia. He isnt ready to play regularly for us in The Championship yet but one day could be the answer

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If we stay in this division, no brainer IMO. If we got promoted we'd need better.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I think Ward has been great this season and has made up for the loss of Bridge. If we can keep him then great, there's a lot of ifs, buts and maybe's involved though.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
I'm not that fussed. He is an acceptable left back at this level, and if Oscar decides he trusts him and wants to keep him, then that's fair enough. But he's no better than Kerry Mayo in his prime, for me. Solid enough defensively, not too fussed about bombing on but will get forward at times, no pace but appears to make up for it with a strong work ethic. Appears to get his head down and get on with the job at hand, which isn't a negative thing in the slightest!

As much as I like Kerry, I don't think you can put him in the same bracket. Our only real gripe about Ward is that he is not as good as Wayne Bridge. He's better than any other left back we've had in the last 25 years though.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
As much as I like Kerry, I don't think you can put him in the same bracket. Our only real gripe about Ward is that he is not as good as Wayne Bridge. He's better than any other left back we've had in the last 25 years though.

Anybody who compares Bridge with Ward is automatically going to come to the conclusion that Bridge is better. It's obvious to everyone in football.

But Ward is a competent Championship left back. We're a competent Championship club, so it's all good. Kerry Mayo was also a competent Championship left back, which at the time was acceptable. If our ambition is genuinely to be "PLR", then Ward isn't going to be enough.

Incidentally, I would rather we got Jimmy McNulty back in. Given a proper run in the side, I genuinely think he'd be a LOT better than Ward.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Anybody who compares Bridge with Ward is automatically going to come to the conclusion that Bridge is better. It's obvious to everyone in football.

But Ward is a competent Championship left back. We're a competent Championship club, so it's all good. Kerry Mayo was also a competent Championship left back, which at the time was acceptable. If our ambition is genuinely to be "PLR", then Ward isn't going to be enough.

Incidentally, I would rather we got Jimmy McNulty back in. Given a proper run in the side, I genuinely think he'd be a LOT better than Ward.

Mayo was an ok full back in a struggling championship team and nowhere near as good as Ward, even at his peak Mayo was nowhere near as good. McNulty can't even get in the Barnsley team and is on loan at League One Tranmere. I conclude you are on a wind up.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Mayo was an ok full back in a struggling championship team and nowhere near as good as Ward, even at his peak. McNulty can't even get in the Barnsley team and is on loan at League One Tranmere. I conclude you are on a wind up.

Well, our opinions differ.

McNulty is playing at centre back for Tranmere, but we've already seen, albeit briefly, that he is a ramraiding left back. I genuinely believe he'd be superb in this team at this level, given the chance. He'd be available on the cheap, he can cover at centre back, and he deserves a chance. And he's Jimmy McNulty.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
Ward will only be "affordable " when his contract expires at Wolves. It is only then that he realizes the full implications of the new rules,as his wages will be a lot less than now !

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
How often do players on loan say they would never stay with a club they are loaned to?

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Summer 2015 his contract expires. I know football is in a bit of a state, but how on earth has a left-back of a now League One club ended up on such a long contract picking up £25k a week? (Assuming that figure in the slightest bit accurate). He signed that new deal in the season Wolves got relegated from the top flight.

He's done well enough for us so far, and I'd be happy to see him sign permanently if we can negotiate a reasonable wage and avoid having to pay a fee (somehow), but god forbid if we start chucking those sorts of contracts at players who are barely Premier League standard, if we do happen to go up. I mean just how and when would Ward have been in a position to be demanding that sort deal? Especially a player who their own fans in the summer labelled nothing more than a "trier".

Probably indicative of the sorts of senseless decisions their board have made in recent years to result in their tumble down to the 3rd tier. Although they look be finally sorting themselves out now with Jackett in charge.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here