Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you regard God Save The Queen as the England national anthem.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It always amazes me that they play GSTQ whe England play.

It's the national anthem of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Jerusalem or land of hope and glory for me.

:wave:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Agreed. Doesn't help that it's an absolute depressing dirge of a tune either.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
They play land of hope and glory for the commonwealth games, or at least they used to.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
It always amazes me that they play GSTQ whe England play.

It's the national anthem of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Jerusalem or land of hope and glory for me.

:wave:

I agree.
We should have our own national anthem.
At the Commonwealth Games, Team England uses "Jerusalem" as the victory anthem from 2010 onwards. The Commonwealth Games Council for England conducted a poll of members of the public which decided the anthem for the 2010 Commonwealth Games. The three options were "God Save the Queen", "Jerusalem" and "Land of Hope and Glory". Jerusalem was the clear winner with 52% of the vote; Land of Hope and Glory received 32% and God Save the Queen 12%.
At international test cricket matches, England has, since 2003, used "Jerusalem" as its entrance anthem.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Time for change as GSTQ is the British anthem. Not allowed to play it in Cup Finals if the Welsh make the final.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
To answer your question: NO!

I wish it was replaced as the UK's National Anthem-it's a dirge. I cannot sing it because of its content: I'm not a royalist and I'm an Agnostic so me asking a ficticious being to save a woman I couldn't give a hoot about does not do a thing for me. Our anthem should be about the country-even 'There'll Always Be an England' would be better than GSTQ.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Yep, it's the one national anthem out of every other country that doesn't fire everyone up. The England players always look like it's an obligation to sing it and only just up until recently most never bothered or just mimed.

I like Brazils, the Italians, Germanys and the French national anthems.

Land of hope and Glory and rule Britania are fighting good, but obviously they are about Britain rather than England.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013

I wish it was replaced as the UK's National Anthem-it's a dirge. I cannot sing it because of its content: I'm not a royalist and I'm an Agnostic so me asking a ficticious being to save a woman I couldn't give a hoot about does not do a thing for me. Our anthem should be about the country-even 'There'll Always Be an England' would be better than GSTQ.

England would never have there own anthem as might offend people.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
England would never have there own anthem as might offend people.

That would be too bad if people are offended-if our (English) anthem offends then they know where the exit is.

wigangull

Jul 19, 2013
Wigan Lancs
England does not have a national anthem as such,but a song in salute to the sovereign.The words change everytime "the sub comes off the bench as it were":thumbsup:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I am not necessarily a republican, but I just don't get that its known as the national anthem,but the taffs and jocks are allowed to abuse it when it's sung, so it has become the English anthem by default......and I would prefer land of hope and glory

Stumpy Tim

Basically this, except I'm an athiest and a republican. The song means nothing to me

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And no booing during Tuesday night's Deutschlandlied please.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here