Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

DK Albion history re write

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
My copy of 'the book' has arrived in the post from the publishers this morning in preparation for my Ashes trip in a couple of weeks.

My inclusion in the book has been brought to my attention by the author, the reference to the phone in is fairly accurate,having supported the Albion for a long time, sold in excess of 100,000 fanzines, I did know most of the people who phoned in.

However Mr Knights recollection of the fallout from Micky Adams sacking is somewhat different to how I remember it.

On the day we played at Millwall, I initially received a call from a parent of player no longer at the club who told me she had been phoned by her son and told that the coach hadn't picked Micky at Hickstead as previously arranged because he had been sacked the previous evening.

BBC SCR broke the story on the Paul Ross morning show and when I got to the New Den I was tasked with getting some audio from the chairman.

In our interview he stated he had gone to the Little Chef on the Friday and had no intention or steer from his fellow directors to sack Adams. It was only during the conversation, we didn't establish whether this was before or after the Olympic breakfast, that he decided to dismiss Adams.

I asked him on air, and it remains to this day on tape, "How could you sack the manager without the approval of your other directors?"

To which I replied he didn't need it.

This isn't specifically mentioned in the book, its merely skirted over, but I have always wondered if this attitude only re-iterated to the rest of the board that there was a clear cut case for change at the top, which happened at the end of that season.

As a club we will always be indebted to what Dick did for the Albion, and I look forward to reading the book from cover to cover, and yes I will be helping to fund his retirement by buying sufficient shares to cover the cost of my copy, but I wonder if this small example is a recurring theme in the book?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Saying things like this appears disrespectful so you might be blackballed

lighthouse

Feb 27, 2008
north hampshire
Ask to people to recount any event or conversation, you will never get the same story. That is simply about being human.

That said, if I were to write my memoirs, I am sure my version would be kinder on me than it should be! They would also fail to sell a single copy I suspect!!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Ask to people to recount any event or conversation, you will never get the same story. That is simply about being human.

That said, if I were to write my memoirs, I am sure my version would be kinder on me than it should be! They would also fail to sell a single copy I suspect!!

Exactly. If you flattened an enemy after a long fight, by the time you were 60 it would be with a single blow.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The nature of history is that the victors in battles are allowed to write it.

I wonder what Greg Stanley's autobiography would have been like?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
My point is that as much as we all like Dick Knight and know what he's done for the club, this book is a watershed for him and will possibly effect his relationship with the club for the rest of his life. The Adams sacking is a very small part of much bigger picture, getting rid of someone is never nice in whatever walk of life, but perhaps the way he acted that day did pave the way for other things covered at great length in his book.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
I asked him on air, and it remains to this day on tape, "How could you sack the manager without the approval of your other directors?"

You asked him a question AND you answered it Lenny? Not very fair is it.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I have lost count of the times I have read something said by a footballer or manager that's inaccurate. A classic one is Mark Lawrenson in this:

No, Mark, three clubs went up from Division Two in 1978. And Goal average gave way to goal difference in the previous season.

But, of course, when you're a participant, like Dick Knight was, you are living in the moment, experiencing things in the hear and now, and the recall of historical facts doesn't work in the same way.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Difficult to know whether this is an example of rewriting history or misremembering. When I read Harry Redknapp's book, I was amazed to find that an event I attended (Velimir Zajec's arrival at the Portsmouth training ground to take up his job as director of football and Harry's subsequent flounce out) never actually happened according to Harry.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
McGee was taken to that swish Italian Restaurant in Hove (Forget the name) to get the tin tack. Adams got the boot over a plate of greasy Little Chef food (sic) that no doubt gave him indigestion for the next 24 hours.

Was it some kind of badge, depending on which eatery DK summoned you to get the sack? Was Wilkins sacked at the Sing Li Chippie up Guildford Road?

Yup, the omission of the reasons behind Wilkins departure is a bit like Ferguson's black hole in respect of Rock of Gibraltar.

Er.... he gives the reasons for Wilkins dismissal in the book. Or at least an outline, he doesn't - and shouldn't - go into all the gory details. Have you read it?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
McGee was taken to that swish Italian Restaurant in Hove (Forget the name) to get the tin tack. Adams got the boot over a plate of greasy Little Chef food (sic) that no doubt gave him indigestion for the next 24 hours.

Was it some kind of badge, depending on which eatery DK summoned you to get the sack? Was Wilkins sacked at the Sing Li Chippie up Guildford Road?

I'll hear nothing against Sing Li. A welcome source of emergency sustenance on emerging from the evil clutches of First Capital Connect.

The worst thing that can happen to anyone at Sing Li is getting sore finger with your chips.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
According to the way DK tells it in the book he didn't sack Micky - if true he had nothing to consult the other directors about.

MA "You've been a great chairman to work for. But I'm putting your position in jeapordy now because you're defending me. I don't want to put you through it any more. And I don't want to put myself through it - to feel that I've got to win the next two matches or I'm out. It would be better if I leave now.

DK "Micky, is that what you really want?"

MA "Yes, that's what I want"

DK "Then we'll make it by mutual consent"

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
....... that he decided to dismiss Adams.

"didn't need it" because MA jumped before he was pushed?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yup, the omission of the reasons behind Wilkins departure is a bit like Ferguson's black hole in respect of Rock of Gibraltar.
Slightly OT, but Rock of Gibraltar's omission is down to one of 2 things, depending on who you believe (although more likely to be a little of both):-

a) an alleged confidentiality clause.
ii) Sir Alex is definitely the minnow in that particular pond.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here